Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 15:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

You need to show your passport to grab a Ice cream in your own country,and i think i had seen it all
Old 17th December 2009, 16:23   #32
BHPian

From the TOI article:
Quote:
Especially, since it plans to open 30 to 40 outlets in the next few years.
I am sure I will not enter that store if it opens in Chennai. There is no way that they could have done this unintentionally. Since they cant say "Only for foreigners", they said "Only for International passport holders".

Last edited by Proxima : 17th December 2009 at 16:26.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
From the TOI article:

I am sure I will not enter that store if it opens in Chennai. There is no way that they could have done this unintentionally. Since they cant say "Only for foreigners", they said "Only for International passport holders".
OTOH, one way of getting back at them is to enter the store, along with a large number of your friends, and then buy nothing. Since they purportedly refused admission to the person in the article because the place was jam packed, the best way to get back is to have lots of footfalls but no sales.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Maybe all the Delhi bhpians should pay this place a visit, together!!! LOL

Shan2nu
Old 17th December 2009, 17:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Maybe all the Delhi bhpians should pay this place a visit, together!!! LOL

Shan2nu
Yesterday, while I was at select city walk, I thought I should go in, demand to see the manager and then give him a piece of mind ( using some colorful language, mind you) ending with a nice one finger salute.
I could not as the lady with me would have never talked to me again. I think I should have done that, in retrospect :P
Old 17th December 2009, 17:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

I bet their Franchisee in Delhi twist the pronunciation a bit to make it palatable to customers ,May be this is the reason they never advertise on TV
Old 17th December 2009, 17:32   #37
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering about the original story. Ramit, the guy with the changed name, did he actually try to enter and was denied permission or he merely interpreted he was not allowed and called up the journo friend?

It could have been a case of bad implementation of a clever idea. Imagine a restaurant with Startrek Theme with a board "Only Vulcans allowed". No earthling would throw a fit at that because real Vulcans don't exist. These guys may have tried something similar for International Theme, by saying only International passport holders are allowed.

Often racism is just perception. I know a senior Indian immigrant in NJ who was mistaken to be anti-semite because he had a swastika on his work table. Nobody bought his story that it was a Hindu sacred symbol.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Imagine a restaurant with Startrek Theme with a board "Only Vulcans allowed". No earthling would throw a fit at that because real Vulcans don't exist. These guys may have tried something similar for International Theme, by saying only International passport holders are allowed.
Hahaha, true. I am not sure a "famous" brand like this planning to open up many outlets in India would be openly "racist" like this!. Closet "racists" are everywhere, in fact, I would say our country is actually full of them. This seems like just a goof-up at this end, probably by some dude who just wanted people to take a second look. Well, he sure made them.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You need to show your passport to NOT grab a Ice cream in your own country,and i think i had seen it all
you forgot the NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

It could have been a case of bad implementation of a clever idea. Imagine a restaurant with Startrek Theme with a board "Only Vulcans allowed". No earthling would throw a fit at that because real Vulcans don't exist. These guys may have tried something similar for International Theme, by saying only International passport holders are allowed.
"exclusive preview for international travelers. access restricted to holders of international passports only" doesn't sound like anything subtle or clever.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:03   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
"exclusive preview for international travelers. access restricted to holders of international passports only" doesn't sound like anything subtle or clever.
Only if you take it literally. That is why I asked whether this Ramit fellow actually tried to enter the place and was denied.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:28   #41
BHPian

If you look at the whole advert is does say - At the French Riviera? Welcome.

I would think its Haggen Daz trying to portray itself as an international brand and if your an Indian thinking your in the French Riviera - Than your an international traveler with an international passport.

If thats what they meant, then i guess they could have worded it a bit better. If they did not allow people into the store because they were Indian Citizen, then i think the outcry is called for.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:36   #42
BHPian

I had sent a mail to Haagen Dazs. Here is their reply:

from Anu Bhatia <.......@genmills.com>
to
date Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM
subject General Contact: HD Shop: 2009/12/17-2285IN JEP
mailed-by genmills.com

Dear Mr.

At the outset, we thank you for writing to us, and appreciate your message. There have been some reports on various online media alleging that the recently opened Häagen-Dazs shop in New Delhi, India, denied access to Indians. We vehemently and categorically deny this. Häagen-Dazs products and our Häagen-Dazs shop in India are and will always be for our consumers in India.

The recently opened Häagen-Dazs shop is open to one and all, and there’s no question of barring entry to anyone on any basis. The preview on Thursday, 10th December had a morning media event which was attended by journalists of repute from Indian media. The same evening we had a launch party for our friends and families, less than 5% of whom were foreigners. Also, during the mock training days at the shop leading up to 10th December, a lot of interest was generated and hundreds of walk-ins were given free samples of our ice cream. The store is now open to all public and seeing brisk business.

The poster in question was part of initial local store communication at a few locations within the same mall announcing the opening of the new Häagen-Dazs shop in the mall. The message was intended to suggest that you can enjoy, for instance, a taste of the French Riviera without traveling to France – by enjoying Häagen-Dazs. Unfortunately the reference to the international passport holder on the poster may have led to a significant miscommunication. This was completely unintended. It was a wrong choice of words, and we regret the error. We sincerely apologize for creating this misimpression that may have hurt our sentiments as Indians.

Regards,

Consumer Relations Manager

General Mills India
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:19   #43
BHPian

Comon guys !

If they dont want Indians, they have the right to do that. May be there is a scientific purpose behind it and may be they are conducting some research. Why is the poster crying baby? Indians get offended so easily and act whiny baby all the time.

If they dont want you, it is good for you. If you give them Rs 500 for an ice cream, they become rich by Rs 500, and you become poorer by Rs500. So save your money, and let them go bankrupt!

Indians work so hard to make Nike and Tommy Hilfiger become rich, for clothes that dont even fit or look good on them, haha.
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Indians work so hard to make Nike and Tommy Hilfiger become rich, for clothes that dont even fit or look good on them, haha.
That's come out of left field! Not sure what you meant by that?
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

I was in Select Citywalk on Saturday & Sunday. I crossed the shop a number of times. They have opened it right in the start of the mall ( Near the gate ) which leads to the other mall. So it is a corner shop.

You should have seen the crowd there ! It was packed. I looked at the menu just for fun sake and a normal 2 scoop in a waffle cone cost 425 Rupees !!!

It looks like the controversy actually helped them with a lot of curious delhi wallas going there .

I thought their menu was horrible. I am not going in there ever. I had rather pay 150 rupees for the Gelato or Baskin Robbins Sundae.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks