Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2005, 16:34   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
whose the most overrated and underrated sporstman/sportswomen in india??

well guys this is a pretty interesting topic and each one of u will have pretty similar or completely opposed opinion to that of mine..
well coming back to the topic as to who is the most overrated and underrated sportsperson in india..
overrated:obviously got to be the very great and our very own sachin tendulkar!!! closely followed by yuvraj singh(retains his place even after performing once in 20 matches), leander paes,sania mirza(tennis),baichung bhutia(futball),harbhajan singh(one series against aussies and he is named "turbanator")..more to come but cant think of right now..
underrated:man who else than the very great grandmaster vishwanathan anand(doesnt get the hype he deserves after putting india on the world map of chess),mohammed kaif(his consistent performances are not given the praise they deserve),anil kumble(the main stay of indian bowling for nearly a decade and is not the 1st choice spinner),i.m.vijayan( great footballer but largely overshadowed by baichung bhutia),anju bobby george(7th at the olympics and blah,hardly do any1 know she exists) and last but not the least rajyavardhan rathore(come on he won a medal at the mother of all competitions and hardly see his name mention anywhere apart from the week he returned home with the silver)..
guys these are purely my views,so keep ur views rolling!!!

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd September 2005 at 16:38.
Old 3rd September 2005, 16:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Here's my 0.02 c.

The entire Indian cricke team is overrated. But an Indian team with S10 in it, was not. He is an icon of a new generation of dashing, devil-may-care Indians -in all fronts, not only in sports- that superseded the previous generations without killer instinct and laden with inferiority complex

Among the most underrated - Robin Singh.
Old 5th September 2005, 15:53   #3
BHPian

Overrated *has* to be Sachin...
Underrated... Anybody else!
Old 30th July 2008, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Reviving an old thread, but Olympics are about to start and whole lot of underrated athletes have a chance to become superstars (not overrated).

I am backing Badminton And Boxing to put some fight (not literally) and maybe get that elusive medal for our country.

Any expectations from our Olympics Squad? Who are you backing? Any underrated potential?
Old 30th July 2008, 14:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Overrated - Sachin (cricket) , Sania (Tennis) , Anju George (Long jump), Harbhajan Singh (Cricket), Saurav Ganguly (Cricket)

Under rated - Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (Shooting) , Mohd Kaif (Cricket), Vishwanathan Anand (Chess)

Will update more later as I remember.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Umm Why is VV Anand Under rated? Everybody knows his caliber & achievements its just that he doesnt have as many Fans thats it.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:39   #7
BANNED

Can we argue over other member's choice?
Old 30th July 2008, 14:40   #8
BHPian

Under rated: The Indian Kabbaddi team. We have won every major Kabbaddi medal and no mention of them anywhere? Shame on us..
Old 30th July 2008, 14:49   #9
BHPian

Over rated which actually is not required - Sania Mirza..

Under rated who were supposed to be rated atleast - Anup Shirdhar who has reserved a berth for Beijing Olympics in Shuttle Batminton
Old 30th July 2008, 14:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

In terms of Sports:

Overrated: Cricket, Cricket, Cricket

Underrated: Hockey, Shooting, Archery

Underperformance: Tennis, Athletics, Football
Old 30th July 2008, 15:08   #11
BHPian

I was trained by a national basketball champion call Rajan, he has even represented India many times, and he has even broken many rings in his dunk. There are many sports men/women in India who is not getting recognized.

Only sport that has got high rated.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sania Mirza is the most overrated Indian.
People need to be innovative to promote other sports.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Are we counting Golf, Chess, Billiards, Carrom, Bridge, etc as sports? Hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
Over rated which actually is not required - Sania Mirza..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Only sport that has got high rated.
What is the meaning of the above quotes?

I don't believe Sania is overrated. Before you call her overrated, check who is the next Indian in the world Tennis ranking and where they are in the list.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:42   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Bang on.

100% correct that Sachin, Sania and Saurav Ganguly are hugely over-rated. Perhaps it is time for them to shut shop and go home instead of taking up space required for better, more promising youngsters who need a chance!

HOwever, V. Anand is more "low key" than under-rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Overrated - Sachin (cricket) , Sania (Tennis) , Anju George (Long jump), Harbhajan Singh (Cricket), Saurav Ganguly (Cricket)

Under rated - Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (Shooting) , Mohd Kaif (Cricket), Vishwanathan Anand (Chess)

Will update more later as I remember.
Why should GOLF not be counted as a Sport? It IS most certainly a Sport.

The others, like Billiards, Carrom, Chess, Bridge etc are games but are broadly classified under the category of "sports"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are we counting Golf, Chess, Billiards, Carrom, Bridge, etc as sports? Hope not.

I don't believe Sania is overrated. Before you call her overrated, check who is the next Indian in the world Tennis ranking and where they are in the list.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2008 at 23:13. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I think its time for me to go to bed, sorry..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks