Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 15:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Help Choosing a Keyboard (music)

Hello,

Need your inputs on the purchase of Yamaha I425 or I455.

Teacher recommends either one, not sure on the technical aspects of the same.

Need it for princess, who started tuning her skills !

Ram P
Old 27th July 2015, 16:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this her first keyboard? If you are upgrading from a smaller one, bigger is always better and I would suggest the I455. Big I mean having better capabilities and nothing to do with size. If this is the first keyboard then the 425 will be easier to use and navigate since it has lesser features and functions.
Old 27th July 2015, 16:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hello,

Need your inputs on the purchase of Yamaha I425 or I455.

Teacher recommends either one, not sure on the technical aspects of the same.

Need it for princess, who started tuning her skills !

Ram P
Is she learning to play the piano or the keyboard?

If she's learning to play the piano, (acoustic instrument) try getting a DGX series portable grand which has 88 keys, just like the original acoustic instrument. But going by the teacher's words, I think she might be learning the electronic keyboard and in that case, the 61key digital keyboards in the PSR series would be better.

Anyways, out of the two, the I455 is newer and comparatively better in features as well as in sound generation but not quite worth the price difference. Go for i425 now. As it costs nearly a 8k less than i455 and has everything that the 455 has except some voices and styles aka rhythms.

later when she is more advanced you can sell it and with the price difference plus another 15k or so you can get a workstation for her, and she'll never feel like upgrading.

Regards,
Umesh

Last edited by Umesh Kumar61 : 27th July 2015 at 16:34. Reason: Typo
Old 27th July 2015, 16:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is this her first keyboard? If this is the first keyboard then the 425 will be easier to use and navigate since it has lesser features and functions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post
Anyways, out of the two, the I455 is newer and comparatively better in features as well as in sound generation but not quite worth the price difference. Go for i425 now. As it costs nearly a 8k less than i455 and has everything that the 455 has except some voices and styles aka rhythms.

later when she is more advanced you can sell it and with the price difference plus another 15k or so you can get a workstation for her, and she'll never feel like upgrading.

Regards,
Umesh
Yes, Guys, Thanks for the help

It will be the first electronic keyboard.

I425 and I455 appears to be similar, except for USB input in I455 and additional tunes. Not sure, if I am wright !

I425 retails at 17000 INR and I455 at 21000 INR. Yamaha does not honor warranty when bought online. Need to get it from authorized showrooms only And the worst part is, I455 is not in stock.

Umesh, I know, I have to plan for the pocket money on it !
Old 27th July 2015, 16:45   #20
vsi
BANNED

i had brought CASIO CTK6600 last year for my 7 years old daughter.
wonderful piece of equipment.
Old 27th July 2015, 16:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Guys, Thanks for the help

It will be the first electronic keyboard.

I425 and I455 appears to be similar, except for USB input in I455 and additional tunes. Not sure, if I am wright !

I425 retails at 17000 INR and I455 at 21000 INR. Yamaha does not honor warranty when bought online. Need to get it from authorized showrooms only And the worst part is, I455 is not in stock.

Umesh, I know, I have to plan for the pocket money on it !
Go for the I425 if that's going to be the first keyboard. Warranty is for three years IIRC and its better you buy it at an authorised shop to keep it valid.
Old 27th July 2015, 18:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:

I425 retails at 17000 INR and I455 at 21000 INR.
Wow! 17000 for I425.! Is the prices for both keyboards from the same retailer? Check some other retailers before finalising. I feel it is too much. Then, I'd say the 455 is value for money. If 425 costs 17000, then 21000 for 455 is very reasonable . In TVM, from the authorised retailer you'll get these for Rs.14700 and Rs.22500.

Btw I just checked the Yamaha website , the psr i425 was launched a long time ago. These keyboards are touch sensitive, and there is a long rubber sheet under the keys with undulations which recreates the spring like effect and also the contact making in the circuit, just like our PC's keyboard. If left unused for a long time, they will get messed up, so check the manufacturing date before buying as problems with sensitivity may crop up later on.
Umesh Kumar61 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:39   #23
BHPian

Hello Guys,
Need your inputs on the purchase of keyboard for my son.
It would be his first keyboard.
Any recommendation with budget of 6K to 7K would be helpful!
well check online as well as from stores.

Thanks,
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Hello Guys,

Thanks,
Casio CTK 2550 and Yamaha PSR F51 are good 'first keyboard' for a beginner. Both are in the 7K range when getting it from a shop, and cheaper if purchased online.
Among these two, the Casio has slightly more functions than the Yamaha, for the same price. Both come with a 3 year warranty when purchased from a shop.
Of late, I believe that Yamaha has sent out a notification mentioning that no warranty will be provided for online purchases. Please confirm on this in case you plan to purchase the keyboard online.
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Casio CTK 2550 and Yamaha PSR F51 are good 'first keyboard' for a beginner.
Thanks for the quick response, will go and check.
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Hello Guys,

Thanks,
Replying to your PM here, sorry for not replying earlier.
Features and functionality aside, the biggest difference in Casio and Yamaha are the style of the keys. Casio gives you Piano styled keys while the Yamaha offers organ styled keys. I have extensively used either types and would consider that first before anything else especially for a learner.

If you would like your son to learn Western classical piano, or any music based on the Piano style of playing, then buying a casio will make sense. Also, piano keys have a deeper stroke and in case your son has short fingers, it will be difficult for him to stretch his fingers across the keys.

The organ styled keys on the yamaha help in sliding across the board easier. This will benefit playing fast songs, and for players with shorter fingers. The key stroke is lesser and hence, playing is easier. However, touch sensitivity wont be so effective in such a setup.

The models in that range are more or less similar in terms of sound quality and functions. However, the yamaha has an edge when it comes to the quality of certain sounds like strings, pads which are used in playing common sounds. Casio fares better in the quality of the piano tones. Hence, take a call based on the factors and do visit a store where you can see both models side by side and check what your son is comfortable with.
Old 5th May 2021, 01:09   #27
BANNED

I booked on Yamaha PSR E373 keyboard as my wife and kid want to take interest in learning a keyboard. I guess it's Indian version and will have a few Indian tunes and rythmes. The reviews look great. I was initially looking for something cheap but just went on getting something that can be cherished for longer time.
Old 5th May 2021, 14:18   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I booked on Yamaha PSR E373
. I was initially looking for something cheap but just went on getting something that can be cherished for longer time.
I think thats a sensible decision. The issue with anything lower than this, especially with a lesser key count is that if your kid shows interest in it, then they will outgrow the keyboard very quickly and you will anyway have to upgrade in no time. Instead, you can buy something of this range and use it pretty long for both casual playing and a few performances. Worst case if it is not used as intended to be, you can always sell it for a decent sum of money and there would be takers.

Since this thread has come back to life, here are some snippets I recorded on my Korg M50 back in India last year during the lockdown. I do not have commercial interests nor is my Youtube channel monetized. Just sharing casually:

Then I moved to Germany for sometime and hence was not able to carry the keyboard along, so decided to purchase another one here. But it had to be a Korg again and nothing less So got a Korg Krome, which is the logical successor to the M50 with some slight upgrades:

^^ The video appears out of sync due to some issue with the camera where it was recorded from. The audio is recorded separately on my Ipad with a Behringer interface.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th May 2021 at 14:22.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 16:35   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Since this thread has come back to life, here are some snippets I recorded on my Korg M50 back in India last year during the lockdown. I do not have commercial interests nor is my Youtube channel monetized. Just sharing casually:
Those are good videos. For a beginner starting from zero, is there a free learning software available (PC or android) that might help learning by self? With corona, I don't see any possibility of calling a tutor.
Old 5th May 2021, 19:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Those are good videos. For a beginner starting from zero, is there a free learning software available (PC or android) that might help learning by self? With corona, I don't see any possibility of calling a tutor.
Unfortunately I do not have first hand experience with any of the recently sprung up apps or coaching classes. But there are already good youtube videos of various people explaining various concepts. I took very basic lessons around 15 years back and after that switched to self learning. Also you would have to decide what the scope of learning should be and then progress accordingly. Does your kid/wife want to learn Indian Music or Western, do they want to take up Indian light music or classical/hindustani music, and such. After that you can narrow down on the medium of teaching and the choice of the teacher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks