Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Good Disco in Chennai

I have this question for a long time in my mind, somehow I thought asking the forum guys would be appropriate.

My wife and I have been to many discos in Bangalore, whenever we drop in for a visit, but though we are in Chennai I have never ventured for one.

I wanted some information from Chennaiites to know about the discos in Chennai, for the weekend, I am looking for some good place,
1. Which is not too crowded nor too sparsely crowded
2. With decent crowd, similar to Bangalore discos
3. Not too costly, I know only 5 star hotels in Chennai have discos, I would not like to spend more than 1000 per head (not sure what the cost is here) @ Bangalore, we managed at 500 per head to the max.

Few discos I have heard of is Flame Le Club, PaSha, and Bikes and Barrells, but I do not have any friends who have gone there.

Need your advice, as I have promised taking my wife and my sister along with sister's husband, when my sister is around in April, please help
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:20   #2
BHPian

I'm more of a lounge kind of a guy, so my pick would be
Leather Bar - The Park
Blend - Taj Mt Road
10 Downing Street - T Nagar

If you want a very vibrant crowd, try Mix in Egmore - I think it's in Country Inn or Comfort Inn, I'm not too sure. But it's diagonally opposite to the railway station.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilvr View Post
I'm more of a lounge kind of a guy, so my pick would be
Leather Bar - The Park
Blend - Taj Mt Road
10 Downing Street - T Nagar

If you want a very vibrant crowd, try Mix in Egmore - I think it's in Country Inn or Comfort Inn, I'm not too sure. But it's diagonally opposite to the railway station.
Hi quicksilvr,
Thanks for the tip, by lounge did you mean more of a bar style places, I was looking for a pure disco place, to give an e.g. Fuga in Banglore is one of our fav place, (though it is crowded) we still liked it there.
Was looking for a pure disc as no one in our family drinks.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can also try the following.

Dublin- Park Sheraton
Distil- Taj Connemara
Sparks- Savera

Savera is probably the most VFM.

Bike and barrel is not a disco. It's just a bar. And the stags are put in a 'jail' on top from where they can look at the couples below. lol

Last edited by Gilead : 23rd March 2010 at 17:31.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi quicksilvr,
Thanks for the tip, by lounge did you mean more of a bar style places, I was looking for a pure disco place, to give an e.g. Fuga in Banglore is one of our fav place, (though it is crowded) we still liked it there.
Was looking for a pure disc as no one in our family drinks.
I love Fuga!! In that case Mix (music - mainstream & progressive house), Dublin or Pasha would be your best bet.
Try 10 D too, they don't have a huge dance floor or anything, but the music's good...Avoid Wed or Thu (I'm not sure which day) as it's karaoke night, but then, you may be the kind to try your hand at that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You can also try the following.

Dublin- Park Sheraton
Distil- Taj Connemara
Sparks- Savera

Savera is probably the most VFM.

Bike and barrel is not a disco. It's just a bar. And the stags are put in a 'jail' on top from where they can look at the couples below. lol
lol...that is exactly why I hate BnB!
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys thanks for the info, any idea on what the rates are for couple in these Discs..?
The question is cos, I would be hosting for few couples in a month from now.

I did hear about the jail thing in BnB, in fact one of my friends recommended that just for that sake

I would be going on weekend to check out a disco, additionally is there a closing time for discos here, I am planning to be there by 8 is that early acc to Chennai standards ?? Heard the moral police would make sure its closed sooner etc.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Add Pasha @ The Park. When used to be in the circuit, used to head to Dublin or Pasha around 10, and they may wind down by 1 or max 3.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ok then 9 30 seems to be right time to get in..

And guys anyone has infor on what they charge per couple in these discs. I mean I am considering Pasha, Dublin, Distil, 10D and Sparks
Old 24th March 2010, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have been out of the circuit for a while so I have no idea what the current rates are. These are the weekend rates for couples as far as I remember. And they are cover charges. Best to call them and get current rates.

Sparks- 900
Distil-1500
Dublin- 2300
Pasha-3500

Pasha is probably the best of the lot. Good chance of running into movie stars there. If I were you, I would go to Distil. Just make sure you don't go on one of those desi/bhangra nights. It would be damn painful if you aren't into that kind of music.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th March 2010 at 11:04.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been out of the circuit for a while so I have no idea what the current rates are. These are the weekend rates for couples as far as I remember. And they are cover charges. Best to call them and get current rates.

Sparks- 900
Distil-1500
Dublin- 2300
Pasha-3500

Pasha is probably the best of the lot. Good chance of running into movie stars there. If I were you, I would go to Distil. Just make sure you don't go on one of those desi/bhangra nights. It would be damn painful if you aren't into that kind of music.
Thanks for the info Gillead, will surely let you know once I pay a visit to them.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Havana, RainTree - I have been regular there and know people and theres good music, good crowd and its open even beyond midnite during weekends. This is my usual hangout.
10Downing, T.Nagar - Its a good place. But on weekends, it gets packed and can be suffocating. Weekdays its a nice place to chillout with colleagues, girl friends, spouse, etc
Dublin, Park Sheraton - Quite big and good crowd. Not as happening these days.
Pasha - Good crowd, music but very small. Not the best place for married couples.

In Havana, they dont charge for couples unless its some happening night like Halloween night or something like that. Most times you can casually walkin with your wife/

But the drinks and snacks are expensive as most of these Discos/Pubs are housed in 4/5 star hotels.

As mentioned by others Blend in Taj Mt Rd, Mixx in Egmore are new some places in the party scene, I have not been to them, but you could try them as well.

High Time in GRT, T.Nagar is also a good place to try.I have been there many times until they renovated it 2yrs back. The new renovated place is good, its got 3 levels, but its also expensive.

Almost, every star hotel has a lounge and a disc here. So you will find lots of options, just try them out and give your feedback here.

Problem in Chennai, if you find a cheaper reasonable place, the crowd usually sucks.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Problem in Chennai, if you find a cheaper reasonable place, the crowd usually sucks.
I agree. Anyone ever been to a place called 'My Bar' next to Melody theatre? Easily one of the most awesome places I have ever been to. The DJ plays only the latest western tracks and the audio and lighting is great. The SPL has to be heard to be believed. But their main clientele is auto drivers and GP road car audio installers. You are even given complimentary RASAM VADA after arrival. If you ever want to see auto drivers rocking out to Lady Gaga, this is the place to go. Needless to say, you can't take any women there.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th March 2010 at 15:56.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Anyone ever been to a place called 'My Bar' next to Melody theatre? Easily one of the most awesome places I have ever been to. The DJ plays only the latest western tracks and the audio and lighting is great. The SPL has to be heard to be believed. But their main clientele is auto drivers and GP road car audio installers. You are even given complimentary RASAM VADA after arrival. If you ever want to see auto drivers rocking out to Lady Gaga, this is the place to go. Needless to say, you can't take any women there.
Wow, that sounds really cool place to be in .. BTW I did not get if you were joking or if there is a good place by that name. Let me know if you are serious, I will take my friends and spend some time there...

Addtionally, I remember hearing abt HFO in ECR during my college days, is that still there???

Last edited by xingamazon : 24th March 2010 at 16:59.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Wow...this is news. I have had the rasa vada there but never really knew that the music is great. Will check this place out
Old 24th March 2010, 17:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Addtionally, I remember hearing abt HFO in ECR during my college days, is that still there???
HFO was in nungambakkam at Tulip Aruna.
It was a real hep place to be in those days and it was owned by a man who later became the IT & Telecom minister of India.
I've met a few filmstars there.
Heard that it is now run by a different owner under the name Platinum.

The one in ECR was EC41.
That too was a hep place on the beach with an MTV kind of setup
in the open.

Quote:
I agree. Anyone ever been to a place called 'My Bar' next to Melody theatre? Easily one of the most awesome places I have ever been to.
Once been there after buying some auto parts in GP road.
The music was so loud and reverberating off the hard-tiled floor,
and we asked the DJ for some soothing music.
He suggested we go to the backside where another bar is there
and you will get classical music.

Man that was a mumbai type Dance bar where cheap looking girls
were dancing and some auto drivers were showering money..
indeed the music was classical!!!
but everthing else was awfull.. LOL

Last edited by Daewood : 24th March 2010 at 18:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks