Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 09:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

ID proofs - Minors travelling in trains without identification

Guys
Two of my cousins are travelling from Ernakulam to Chennai this weekend & they're 16 & 14; they don't have photo identification proofs (Voters ID, PAN card, Ration card, State/Central govt ID, passport or DL) as stated by Railways. How can they produce a photo ID proofs to prove they're genuine travellers?

Pls provide your suggestion & opinion. Thanks in advance
Old 8th April 2010, 09:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Passport if the have? I was wondering if an attested photocopy (along with the original) school/college id do?
Old 8th April 2010, 09:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think school/college photo ID cards should do. Also since they have mentioned Ration Card, you could use an attested copy of that if the name of your cousins are in the ration card along with the school/photo ID card. By their general rule, one needs to carry the original proof (in this case the ration card). If you have the time, drop a mail to IRCTC customer care or call them up. You could also talk to some TTE or station master to get some idea.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 8th April 2010 at 09:52.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Passport if the have? I was wondering if an attested photocopy (along with the original) school/college id do?
They don't have passport. Also I suggested them already to carry the original school ID, so an attested copy is as good as schoold ID.

@Biju - Thanks for the tip to call IRCTC customer care & here're some funny answers. Here're some excerpts

IRCTC: Nothing to worry, you pay the fine.
Me: ???
IRCTC: For minors you cannot book tickets through online
Me: I've already booked
IRCTC: site already has information that you need to carry one of the proofs mentioned & its is compulsory that any passenger booked through e-ticket carries
Me: PAN/voters ID/DL's are not permitted for minors
IRCTC: why didn't you take passport for kids. If you have not taken passport it is not IRCTC's fault
Me: ???
IRCTC: You should know that they're minors & should've gone to counter to book tickets
Me: They stay about 40Kms away from booking counter & hence I booked it through online
Me: mam, will a school ID...
IRCTC: (cutting) you need one of those proofs mentioned in site

Me: See mam, if you don't have the info, its ok, could you pls ask someone else & help?
IRCTC: I know everything & that's why I'm here & you're calling because you don't know this
Me: (thinking, yeah, my fault to have called you up) & finally no answer from other end, looks like the cut the line abruptly.

Guys, I'm really struck up, don't know what to do or how to obtain authentic information. Pls provide your opinion. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 10:17.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:49   #5
BHPian

I've seen a minor in the train produce a letter from her guardian/school along with a school/college id card. The TTE did allow her that.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Too much tension, a reddish pink slip of paper with gandhiji's photo should solve the entire issue.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I've seen a minor in the train produce a letter from her guardian/school along with a school/college id card. The TTE did allow her that.
So a mere ID will not help is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Too much tension, a reddish pink slip of paper with gandhiji's photo should solve the entire issue.
Well, I don't want to teach them (at an early stage) to settle things using Father of our Nation

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 10:53.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let them carry their school / college IDs, and copy of the ration card if it has their name on it. Whoever is dropping them in the railway station can meet the TTE, intro them and have a word (I meant just a word stating they are minors and they have so-so ID, nothing more!!). Should not be a problem.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Whoever is dropping them in the railway station can meet the TTE, intro them and have a word (I meant just a word stating they are minors and they have so-so ID, nothing more!!)
Thanks Ph03n!x, there will not be any problem and that's the last option I suggested to their parents. But still figuring out a legal way. I'm sure someone should've had this experience or heard such things earlier & just trying to seek help from them.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

The conversation you posted with the CC executive was absolutely hillarious. I think the school id's with a principal's letter should suffice. The TC would be overwhelmed with the details on the kids more than anything.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for your predicament, but I can;'t help LOLing on your conversation.

School IDs etc work well elsewhere, but you can't count here, because the Ticket checker has his instructions to consider only the proof written there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, I don't want to teach them (at an early stage) to settle things using Father of our Nation
On the other hand, this would be a perfect real life exposure to them, on how things work in our country.

Better to have a head start than remain dumb, besides at their age, they probably know MUCH more than what you knew at that age.

Last edited by bblost : 8th April 2010 at 12:24. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:32   #12
BHPian

I believe the school id cards should be sufficient for them. As stated by Phoenix you can talk to the TTE and that should solve anything. our TTE is will understand and since these are young one may not create a problem as such. But in the process do not let others know that two yound boys are travelling alone.

If you still want to carry some documents, you get an attestation from a notary public that so and so reside in this address etc. A notarised document is legal enough. This is not required in my opinion.

Edit: Do they really ask for the ID proofs? I have done online booking twice for my father and he travelled without any id proof mentioned.

Last edited by ikoneer : 8th April 2010 at 11:33.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

It will ultimately be the TTE who will decide. They may be kind and understanding or may go by the rule book to make some quick money. Just keep your fingers crossed and have them carry the Photo ID card (school/college). If possible, have them carry a letter from their parents. You may have to bribe in the worst case. Many times the TTE does not even ask for the ID proof.

If IRCTC does not allow minors to book e-tickets, then they should have a check to make sure that at least one of the passengers are above 18 years of age.

Last edited by pjbiju : 8th April 2010 at 11:55.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

While the above steps mentioned by the others may be followed, please ensure that all else fails, the kids have the fine amount with them, in case it comes to that. In case one isnt carrying valid ID proof, the fine will be applicable... were you able to find out how much it is?
Old 8th April 2010, 12:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Sorry for your predicament, but I can;'t help LOLing on your conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The conversation you posted with the CC executive was absolutely hillarious. I think the school id's with a principal's letter should suffice. The TC would be overwhelmed with the details on the kids more than anything.
Prince, You've to trust me on this - IRCTC or the lady representing is willing only to talk & not listen. I'm not expecting this, but there're much more that went into the conversation. At one point, I explained her saying that ID's are to prove the identity of the person isn't it? She agreed, but immediately goes back to rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
But in the process do not let others know that two yound boys are travelling alone.
Very very true; each one of them are best to handle situation & people from the age they started speaking & that's why their parents are letting them travel.

Quote:
If you still want to carry some documents, you get an attestation from a notary public that so and so reside in this address etc. A notarised document is legal enough.
From my point of view, I think the above makes more sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Edit: Do they really ask for the ID proofs? I have done online booking twice for my father and he travelled without any id proof mentioned.
When coming from Kerala, yes most of the times they do check but have seen it missing when boarding from Chennai most often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
On the other hand, this would be a perfect real life exposure to them, on how things work in our country.
Very true; but its like jump starting the new car from the showroom, which I don't want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
If IRCTC does not allow minors to book e-tickets, then they should have a check to make sure that at least one of the passengers are above 18 years of age.
When I said this to the lady in IRCTC customer care, I don't think it went even into her ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While the above steps mentioned by the others may be followed, please ensure that all else fails, the kids have the fine amount with them, in case it comes to that. In case one isnt carrying valid ID proof, the fine will be applicable... were you able to find out how much it is?
Nope, I'm yet to find the fine amount. Actually what I thought was to have them the cash, but do not pay; instead my cousins would say that they don't have money & to collect any money from me when they board down from the station. Each one of them will be carrying mobile phone, so incase they're unable to handle, ask them to dial to me so that I can speak with TTE.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 12:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks