Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2016, 14:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Continuing Education for working Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just discovered this Online MS in CS from Georgia Tech University in USA. Long ago, I did distance MBA from an university ranked 318 according to the latest QS World University Rankings. It has proven extremely useful in my career.

But I have forever hoped that MS computer science was available through similar channel. May be too late for me, but it can be highly convenient for younger working professionals. Georgia Tech is ranked #19 in the world for Engineering & technology. Imagine doing MS in Georgia Tech University for $7000 while working in India.

http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/
Will it be considered certified masters degree if one plans to go into academics? I am not sure currently whether I will continue in the industry or may go to academics in future.
Old 21st September 2016, 14:45   #32
Oxy
BHPian

@Samurai and @RajeevRaj, thanks very much for the inputs, much appreciated.
Old 21st September 2016, 15:27   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Will it be considered certified masters degree if one plans to go into academics? I am not sure currently whether I will continue in the industry or may go to academics in future.
It is only in India I have noticed that people (including industry) have a low opinion about distance degrees. That is primarily because of the low quality of distance education doled out by Indian Universities in the earlier decades. They gave it a step-motherly treatment and destroyed the reputation of distance education.

This is very similar to how Maruti destroyed the auto transmission concept in India by handing out 3-speed ATs in the 90s. Only now India is recognizing AT cars as a regular cars.

The distance degrees are not given step motherly treatment in developed countries, by either the Universities or Industry. Pick a reputed university, see whether they have distance option. The degree is the same whether it is distance or campus. And distance education is extremely useful to working professionals.

Avoid Indian universities for any distance education, for they still appear to have the step motherly attitude towards it.
Old 21st September 2016, 16:02   #34
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
The degree is the same whether it is distance or campus.
The one you had posted (Georgia Tech) is an OMSCS. If it was the same, it would just be an MSCS don't you think? Or is it that the "O" won't be mentioned in the degree?
Old 21st September 2016, 16:51   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If it was the same, it would just be an MSCS don't you think? Or is it that the "O" won't be mentioned in the degree?
Online is just a delivery format, why would that be mentioned on the degree. Just so that Indians can differentiate and discriminate?

What do these words in the red border on their main page mean to you?

Continuing Education for working Professionals-chrome-legacy-window-9212016-44115-pm.bmp.jpg

If you are still not convinced, then send them an email and ask. I have a distance MBA degree, and it has no mention of distance anywhere. It is the same as their campus degree.
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:34   #36
Oxy
BHPian

Good point @Samurai, thanks again for the prompt reply.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:39   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I have forever hoped that MS computer science was available through similar channel. May be too late for me, but it can be highly convenient for younger working professionals. Georgia Tech is ranked #19 in the world for Engineering & technology. Imagine doing MS in Georgia Tech University for $7000 while working in India.
Just wanted to update, my first employee to apply for Online MS in computer science at GeorgiaTech just got accepted. He will be staying in the village (near Manipal) where he was born, and study at an University that is ranked #70 (#28 in CS) in the world. The nearby Manipal University is ranked around #700+ or so. I am so happy for him. The company will be paying his tuition, with no strings attached.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th June 2017 at 10:05.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to him. Kudos for supporting bright minds Samurai San
Old 11th June 2017, 10:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine doing MS in Georgia Tech University for $7000 while working in India.

http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/
Is it possible to take this course as part time from USA?
I am working form USA and under H1B. Looking for options available for a master degree from here.
Old 11th June 2017, 10:45   #40
BHPian

I would like the readers to also consider the epgp program launched by iima recently. The course is well structured, has on campus components, and engages the same professors who taught us on campus. The program has flexibility as well, allowing a student 2 to 3 years to complete the process and give the exams. It may be heavy workload on top of the existing work that a mid level professional may have, but the knowledge is well worth it. Further, the students get alumni status and they can be part of the local chapters, leading to an opportunity to network with people already well placed in the industry.
Old 11th June 2017, 11:06   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Is it possible to take this course as part time from USA?
I am working form USA and under H1B. Looking for options available for a master degree from here.
Of course. My wife and I did MBA while I was on H1, and my wife was on H4. There is no law against studying when you are legally in USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Further, the students get alumni status and they can be part of the local chapters, leading to an opportunity to network with people already well placed in the industry.
I don't understand why this should surprise anybody. You paid the fees, studied hard and earned your degree. So you are an alumnus. In India, people still treat distance degree as a lesser degree. But I have realized a truth from first hand experience. A distance degree from a good university adds lot more value than a regular degree from an average university. Soon, more and more people will realize this.
Old 11th June 2017, 12:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am so happy for him. The company will be paying his tuition, with no strings attached.
A very nice gesture.

Many companies try to put a lot of conditions in place when funding for education, and unfortunately we Indians have only ourselves to blame for it. The lack of a 'bond' is seen as an opportunity by many and they would be looking for opportunities outside as soon as the education is completed.
Old 11th June 2017, 13:27   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The lack of a 'bond' is seen as an opportunity by many and they would be looking for opportunities outside as soon as the education is completed.
I don't have post-condition, but I do have pre-condition.

To qualify for free Tuition, the employees must have completed 5 years in the company for MS (GeorgiaTech), and 8 years for MBA (EBS). By this time they would have earned their right for free continued education without strings.
Old 11th June 2017, 17:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have post-condition, but I do have pre-condition.

To qualify for free Tuition, the employees must have completed 5 years in the company for MS (GeorgiaTech), and 8 years for MBA (EBS). By this time they would have earned their right for free continued education without strings.
So what exactly is the difference between a long distance and a normal degree?

And if they are essentially the same then why does everyone wants to spend extra money on the normal degree?

I myself want to pursue a MS degree and still deciding between the pros and cons of the 2 types.

I'm pretty much ready to take a 2 year (1 year in case of UK) break in my career for this and have done the necessary financial planning, etc.
Old 11th June 2017, 17:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
So what exactly is the difference between a long distance and a normal degree?
Academically there is no difference. You will be studying the same course material. My employee who qualified for the MS at GeorgiaTech had to write TOEFL and go through the usual recommendation/verification process. Only thing he got to skip is GRE/Visa process.

But he will miss the experience of living in the campus, attending lectures physically, and life in a different country. That is an essential sacrifice if one can't afford to quit the job.

Legally, UGC has notified that distance and regular degrees should be treated same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks