Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2017, 18:07   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Continuing Education for working Professionals

I think most cases, why distance education is treated as second string in our country is primarily because many see it as a ticket to add a degree to the resume rather than an enabler to their skill and learning curve.

Add to it the usual measure of education itself being treated as business. If the classic class-room based course itself comes under scanner, imagine the fate of distance education.

Just see how many folks add a one month course taken at an IIT/IIM as their achievement on their linked in, just to get attached to the brand of the institute.

Now coming to continuing education; its a fantastic option for working professionals provided; they choose the right options and their motive is pure. By pure I mean, they are really interested in the learning curve rather than just wanting to add a feather to their cap. Some of those executive programs by IIMs are very good and gruelling to say the least. The candidate really needs to get into the thick of things to see it through.

But having said that, many programs fall through the crack owing to the basic flaws of goal and fulfilment aspects. And to add to it: Options for research in sciences and engineering are very limited in India (I mean for working folks) as against institutes in other countries (US etc).

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2017 at 19:58.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 17:37   #47
BHPian

My nephew wants to pursue his masters in Data Sciences.

https://www.iiitb.ac.in/executive-po...n-data-science

I need inputs from anybody who has pursued this or have how credible / good this program is.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
Old 21st December 2023, 19:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
My nephew wants to pursue his masters in Data Sciences.

https://www.iiitb.ac.in/executive-po...n-data-science

I need inputs from anybody who has pursued this or have how credible / good this program is.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
I have done this program through Upgrad (which is what it says even in the link you have shared so must be the same). It is a good course if one wants to start getting into the data science field but there are also other programs like Machine learning etc which go in depth. This program covers the basics of Python, statistics, and machine learning, and slightly deeper into NLP, business analysis, etc.

Courses are mostly during weekends and are online (some with live instructors while some are recorded sessions). Some instructors are good while few of them (esp the ones recorded) will make you sleepy ().

I enjoyed the course and did get to learn many things. A few of my batchmates were able to get placed into jobs related to the field as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks