Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 13:31   #16
BHPian

I have named my silver swift " Silver Stone ". Actually, It was named as "Silver Star" based on a flower found in the mountains in Swis [ Actually I found the name in Asterix Comics ], but somehow my friends/family didn't like the name, Hence I had to change it to "Silver Stone"

I still talk to her when I drive alone. But when I do the same with friends, they think I am mad. God Bless them
Old 27th April 2010, 13:48   #17
BHPian

However, the bigger question is how long will the name stick? Will you still call your swift a "KING TIGER TAMER" when someone who has bought it from you at a bargain and is contemplating a yellow plate?

I guess when someone becomes too deeply involved with someone/ something, a word, phrase or a sentence starts ringing in the head whenever he/ she thinks about it. And that's how a "non-necessary" name is born (unlike necessary naming like that of a newborn, which involves great deal of research).

I named my bullet "Bachelor's Delight!".
I don't know of any logic or can pinpoint any thread of emotion for such a name. It just occurred to me, I don't even recollect from where I might have had picked the phrase. Similarly, consider ADC's "The Magnificent Tourer". I am sure it is also an impromptu naming and one can easily see the inspiration here.
These are the names that normally outlast the car/ bike.

On the other hand, the procedure of careful naming mostly goes horribly wrong. Like, I named my Safari the "Nomad King" when I bought it. This time, it wasn't a spontaneous thought. Influenced by Team Bhp Threads, I chose the name carefully. However, sometime during the daily commute between Mulund and Malad, the name died a natural death. Now we simply refer to it by "Diesel Gari".

So, people, try to ease a little if you're playing a mental slideshow of fearsome predators hunting in the wild before taking delivery of your hatch.

However, all these still cannot explain "Black Donkey" which seems to be the most tangential yet!
I bet that this name will stick.

EDIT: No offence to anyone please. These are just random thoughts of a demented mind and not at all meant to create any discomfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I find the idea of naming a car stupid. I never name my cars or TV, phone etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How could you ever think of putting car and TV in same category!!
Wrong forum I guess.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2010 at 16:31.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I find the idea of naming a car stupid. I never name my cars or TV, phone etc.
TV is already named. It's called the "Idiot Box". Rightly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Wrong forum I guess.

Completely agree.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:15   #19
BHPian

I started a similar thread, sorry guys for that, lemme close that and join here!

My bike was Madhosh, a black 1994 Hero Honda Sleek that I still have today. Madhosh - meaning crazy/intoxicated/high!

Then came my Ikon, 10 years ago, and I named her Lisa. Was a cool name for a hot car, but it also came from the letters of the names of our (planned) kids! Sanam is 8 today. Sahil was never born

6 years later, we bought a Fiesta and named her Reona. Very interesting story here. Apparently, Reona was a Rottwelier dog, a dangerous and ferocious breed. However, after an earthquake, rescuers found Reona protecting and nursing a neighbour's baby. Ferocious, agggressive, but protective. Apt for a Fiesta!

And finally, my Samara, a 4x4 Endy I bought 2 weeks back. Apart from being inspired by an old college friend I had a major crush on, Samara also means protector and protected by god (yes, kinda conflicting, but that's what google returns!)
Old 17th May 2010, 12:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want to name your car? - all family members have a name - our cars are part of our Family.

What is the emotion and sentiment behind such a name? -

Premier Padmini - My World, My Planet (that's her name)
Fiat Palio GTX - She is Red & she is bad tempered and i call her Red Sonja.
Hyundai Getz - She is very young to be named - just 10,500kms old (1 year, 1 day on 17th May 2010) - We call her Getz.
Maruti 800 (not with us anymore) - I called her Red Hottie, My brother used to call 'it' Woodland.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 17th May 2010 at 12:18.
Old 29th May 2010, 09:49   #21
BHPian

What's with the names?

Curiosity is getting the better of me by the day. I'm seeing an increase in threads on new auto acquisitions (Test Drives and Initial Ownership forum) with some kind of name or other in the thread title.

"Dolphin", "Panther", Squeeze", "White Elephant", "Vikram", "Herbie" and "Little Black Bull" are some of the more evocative sounding names amongst others.

Where is this coming from? Are folks asking "Hey, anyone seen the keys to 'Dolphin'?", or "'Little Black Bull' ko theek se dho dala, kyaa?", or (when negotiating tricky Bangalore traffic), "Ee roadu namdalla. Swalpa 'Squeeze' maadi!" ?

Or is this just an attempt at a catchy thread title? No offense meant. Any taken is purely the readers prerogative.
Old 29th May 2010, 10:36   #22
BANNED

Sadly names are given as a cheap bussiness trick, tell me about the following
'Ace' is it really so?
'Bolero',anything to do with Bo Derek ?(I am a great admirer of her )
'Scorpio' does it Bite or shall we crush it.
'Vikram' are the owners Vetal ? what kind of Vikram (record ) this vehicle (?) has created ?
'Minidore' small doores ?
there can be many more funny names , What do the makers think of us ? are we silly ?
Old 29th May 2010, 12:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post

"Dolphin", "Panther", Squeeze", "White Elephant", "Vikram", "Herbie" and "Little Black Bull" are some of the more evocative sounding names amongst others.

Where is this coming from? Are folks asking "Hey, anyone seen the keys to 'Dolphin'?", or "'Little Black Bull' ko theek se dho dala, kyaa?", or (when negotiating tricky Bangalore traffic), "Ee roadu namdalla. Swalpa 'Squeeze' maadi!" ?
Absolutely Hilarious . ROFLMAO, I have also been noticing theese titles lately and i guess the owners are emotionally attached to their vehicles i Guess, Or maybe its just to make the Title catchy what ever it may be they would be in a better position to Explain

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 29th May 2010 at 12:13. Reason: More than 2 smilies in post
Old 29th May 2010, 13:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Curiosity is getting the better of me by the day. I'm seeing an increase in threads on new auto acquisitions (Test Drives and Initial Ownership forum) with some kind of name or other in the thread title.

Or is this just an attempt at a catchy thread title? No offense meant. Any taken is purely the readers prerogative.
FYI, Squeeze is what Ford calls it's green. And few other companies have Panther Black. White Elephant and Black bull are names kept by owners describing the colour and form/sheer size of their steed. What's the point of this thread now?
Old 29th May 2010, 13:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Squeeze is a colour. lol

But whenever i see people naming their brand new cars as "White Elephant", i can't control my laughter.

From wikipedia:

"A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth."

Last edited by DCEite : 29th May 2010 at 13:39.
Old 29th May 2010, 14:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

While I have no objections from owners giving their rides nicknames, I sometimes feel like why do manufacturers have to say to their car like:

"Tata Indigo Manza quadrajet 90 aura plus..."

I mean, names are getting bigger and bigger..
Old 29th May 2010, 14:49   #27
BHPian

If 10 Bhpians have Black Figos and want to start an ownership review, not everyone can have the title "My Black Figo". I think they keep a name just to help us identify their ownership thread.

Everytime I see "Black Donkey" in the ownership reviews, I know its Captain Slow's Figo ownership thread
Old 29th May 2010, 15:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
If 10 Bhpians have Black Figos and want to start an ownership review, not everyone can have the title "My Black Figo". I think they keep a name just to help us identify their ownership thread.

Everytime I see "Black Donkey" in the ownership reviews, I know its Captain Slow's Figo ownership thread
Thanks, guys. Have been suitably educated. Didn't realise squeeze was the flavour of the month!
Yes, i thought it might be something to do with a "personalised" identification mechanism for the thread: but like the "white elephant", there might be inadvertent humour involved!
Might run out of animals soon, though.
Old 29th May 2010, 15:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Squeeze is a colour. lol

But whenever i see people naming their brand new cars as "White Elephant", i can't control my laughter.

From wikipedia:

"A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth."
I am sure you are referring to me, I named my Fortuner White Elephant in my initial ownership thread. What else would have been a better name- Bull, Beast, Monster, Dog, Cat??? This is a HUGE SUV, it can run over Bulls and Bears. The name was later changed to Mammoth considering public demand.

Yes i knew the meaning of White Elephant in English dictionary.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th May 2010 at 15:44.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you are referring to me, I named my Fortuner White Elephant in my initial ownership thread.
I don't think it was you. There's another review where the guy has named his Manza as a white elephant. White Elephant suits a Fortuner but not a Manza

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks