Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2010, 09:31   #31
BHPian

I'm on the western coast, and though I was awake through the night I felt nothing. By the way, since it's posted in the Indian Car Scene section, the headline originally led me to believe it was a scoop about the launch of something path-breaking!
Old 13th June 2010, 10:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
hey!! I am from Kolkata and even I felt a tremor. I was lying on my bed and it was shaking.
Me too. In Calcutta. For about 5-10 secs at around 1am.
Old 13th June 2010, 10:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Felt two tremors, first one continued a bit long but very low amplitude the second was around half an hour later.
Old 13th June 2010, 10:53   #34
BHPian

A confirmation from Bangalore too.
Old 13th June 2010, 10:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

I felt the shake too, I was in my bed and felt the shake at first I assumed kind of imagination but then it was real after reading the posts here. I'm from velachery.
Old 13th June 2010, 11:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

I.m from KK Nagar and I totally felt it. Was watching the football match and then another movie when it happened. Felt it pretty strong too.
Old 13th June 2010, 11:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys, take a look at this new article " Magnitude-7.7 earthquake hits Andaman & Nicobar Islands; Tsunami Watch notice issued "

Magnitude-7.7 earthquake hits Andaman & Nicobar Islands; Tsunami Watch notice issued- Hindustan Times
Old 13th June 2010, 13:19   #38
BHPian

I immediately woke up when i felt the tremor, but slept off soon after that :P. I am from velachery.
Old 13th June 2010, 13:33   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, who needs Twitter! T-BHP is right here and right there with the up-to-the-minute stuff.

It's amazing how many night birds there are among our membership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
This is what happened on 9th of June 2010.

I was staying at Thoraipakkam, near the Chennai One toll gate. The house has 2 floors and a balcony. We were in the 2nd floor.

In the midnight (This would be 10th of June, morning), at around 4 AM, we heard some shattering noises. Surprised we came out of the bedroom and saw that the flooring tiles had just packed up, and three rows of tiles were dislodged, forming an inverted V. I suspected it to be some kind of a mild earthquake.
Certainly sounds as if your house moved, but if it was an earthquake, others would have reported it too. Is your house old or recently built? Maybe you should have an engineer check it out.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th June 2010 at 13:36.
Old 13th June 2010, 13:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

It is surprising to hear the news, good that it is minor one, without any damage. Next 5 months similar multiple incidents expected which will end the recession and begining of new wave!!

Please note that a day back night was Amavasya and 2 weeks from now is Moon Eclipse which will decide the trend. This earth quake is just begining of the study.

Untill world wakes up expect such issues on rise year after year! By 2040 people will start feeling real result of their mistakes. Till then it is only warning BELL which means we still have time to wake up.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 13th June 2010 at 13:59.
Old 13th June 2010, 14:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
This is what happened on 9th of June 2010.

I was staying at Thoraipakkam, near the Chennai One toll gate. The house has 2 floors and a balcony. We were in the 2nd floor.

In the midnight (This would be 10th of June, morning), at around 4 AM, we heard some shattering noises. Surprised we came out of the bedroom and saw that the flooring tiles had just packed up, and three rows of tiles were dislodged, forming an inverted V. I suspected it to be some kind of a mild earthquake.
This happens if floor tiles are not fitted properly - i.e. if there is a gap under the tiles and/or fitted too tightly. We had that problem - no earthquake here, but a tremor could definitely activate the tiles packing upwards.
Old 13th June 2010, 14:41   #42
BHPian

i felt that tremor, very very mild though. i came out of my room and checked for people. no souls out there except for the humming sound of ACs.
Actually i was browsing teambhp and typing my suggestions to team-bhp (shifting gears section) when i felt tremor.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:00   #43
BHPian

I stay at velachery,my room is on 3rd floor and felt something shaking around 1-1.30 (reading t-bhp updates). Since i didn't had proper sleep last night i thought it may be fatigue. Then went near windows and heard small sound of movement (just to keep my mind away from thought of earthquake thought must be wind effect )

Finally went out of room to check out if its really a quake, but no one was awake or came out of room. So closed the lappy and slept. Thought definetly must be fatigue and i need a good sleep

In morning (woke up late so that my body gets complete rest and wont have any further shake feeling) and saw the news and this thread. So now pretty sure my sense are active any time
Old 13th June 2010, 15:40   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Then it is certain that the Team-BHP gods donot favour your suggestion! You could not have a clearer omen! :laugh:

ravibhat, my semi-scientific belief is that earth quakes take thousands of years in the making, and are nothing to do with current events, be they human, solar or lunar --- but as I type, I think... moon and sun have a major visible effect on water (tides) and I understand that their gravitational pull on earth, though minuscule, does exist and is measurable, so maybe your research will show a correlation.*

The single lesson that we humans continually fail to learn is not to live in earthquake-prone areas --- and I don't think much is going to change about that in the foreseeable future.

*Hey, I just had a single sentence debate ---with myself!
Old 13th June 2010, 16:04   #45
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night, i was awake watching the football match. I did not feel a thing. I am from Velachery and stay on the ground floor of the house. Any other guys from Velachery felt the ssshhhhaaaakkkkeeee?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks