Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 15:31   #46
BHPian

Re: How to protect car from bird droppings ?

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

We were having a similar problem A small bird was getting all confused seeing its reflection in our door windows and side mirrors. All 3 cars in our garage had bird dropping all over.

Did a trick over the weekend and so far looks fine. Solution was to hang 7-8 CD (compact disk) in the garage using thin strings. In theory, the bird gets scared seeing so many big eyed reflective stuff hanging and swaying . In practice: All the cars have not had a single bird drop on them since past 2 days.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2012 at 15:46. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post.
kutts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Or buy a few cats and put them up in the tree!
Far better idea is to buy AIR GUN and start firing at the birds, keep doing this for longer periods and for days at a streach till the birds know that there is a BAD MAN living in the building and is after their lives, they will simply shift their base and leave you and your cars in peace.. This is the cheapest way to buy PEACE....
Old 4th January 2012, 05:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Jokes apart, I think one of the following should work if you don't have another place to park your car. You can still save the tree and the birds.

If you realize a fact the birds come to the same tree every evening and thats when the maximum damage happens so setting up a shade is the best option.

1. Setup a simple car shed using 4 poles and nylon sheet.
How to protect car from bird droppings ?-carshed.jpg
2. Setup a scissor type rolling shade, which could be rolled back when not in used. Refer the fast food hotel windows where they serve food. You can have this scissor type rolling shade installed on the wall side, if no wall you can put two polls and install it.
How to protect car from bird droppings ?-rollingcanopy.jpg
3. Install a scarecrow in the tree - May not be effective considering the fact that the tree is a house and mostly the birds comes in the evenings where this will not even visible to the birds.
Name:  scarecrow.png
Views: 4939
Size:  82.2 KB
4. Hang couple of small pieces of Black cloths on the tree branches, Again I'm not sure how effective this would be as the birds in your case will only be there in the evenings.
5. Make noise that constantly makes them scared. - Becareful about the objects you may receive from neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Far better idea is to buy AIR GUN and start firing at the birds, keep doing this for longer periods and for days at a streach till the birds know that there is a BAD MAN living in the building and is after their lives, they will simply shift their base and leave you and your cars in peace.. This is the cheapest way to buy PEACE....
I know it was a joke, but be aware in India one can only shoot certain vermin species legally, don't end up in trouble shooting birds which are not in Schedule V that says Crow, Fruit Bat, Mice and Rat only in the list.

Last edited by trammway : 4th January 2012 at 05:53.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:21   #49
BHPian

Birds have Brains

I used to think that birds are simple minded creatures with a simple lifestyle. Thought they used to go when they had to. But careful observation of our feathered friends revealed that they have very advanced target practice exercises with our cars.

When we park under trees, it is but natural that bird droppings are just that - earth bound poop under the influence of gravity. If Isaac Newton was at the receiving end, our knowledge of gravity would probably have had to wait for some other soul to be inspired by having an apple fall on his head.

Back to the principal issue, we would say that it was just too bad that our cars are in the shade of the tree . But when the birds practice advanced bombing exercise on freshly washed cars parked in sheds, you just cant help wondering whether there is more to it what we assume.

I frequently observe a couple of crows making a series of low level bombing attacks, veering sharply and pulling up as soon as they relieved their load. Result - my freshly washed car taking a few direct hits. Because of the high speed attack, the car is splattered with poop. The crows retire to a nearby tree to rest and survey the scene while I grab the hose to wash the mess.

This is a regular scene at my house and I no longer have the confidence to call anyone 'Bird Brained'.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Buy a picture that scares crows (in paper or cloth), and leave on top of the car.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:26   #51
BHPian

I'm a bit weak on mythology... But isn't there a bird god you can talk to and sort things out? Maybe he/she is just pissed with you or just having some fun.
By the way i type this just after wiping off pigeon crap(s) off the bonnet of my new car. Do let me know if you manage to make a contact. Even I have a score to settle!
Old 4th January 2012, 16:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

There is one more thing you can try out to scare away the birds - refer to the Red Bull advertisement for the procedure.

Rohan
Old 10th February 2012, 11:45   #53
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2012 at 15:48.
davidashish is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd April 2012, 02:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

I'm a veteran victim of pigeon bombing raids. Pigeons are the biggest menace here right now. I'm sure there is no other bird that causes more issues than pigeons. I consider them not as birds but as pests like mosquitoes, rats, etc. On observing these pests closely, I, a born bird and animal lover, have turned into a rabid pigeon hater.

They multiply as fast as these other pests and now seem to threaten the survival of other birds. They usurp territories and food from other much nobler birds, and I'm talking from experience.

These are my findings and observations - pigeons take up residence where they get shelter, place to make nests and of course food. You need to attack all these 3 things if you want this serious menace to be controlled. Observe where they sleep in the nights and if possible take steps to drive them off from there esp. at night. I'v even used firecrackers for the same. The noise is very effective and the effect and sight is sweet revenge to someone who has had to deal with all that filth, esp. when in a hurry. Also try and observe where they make their ultra filthy maternity homes. Its usually in crevices/window grills/window sills/unoccupied houes/lofts/etc. Try to convince people feeding them about how they adversely not only spread huge amount of filth, but also threaten the survival of much nobler birds. On reducing their dominion here, we now see birds like bulbuls, finches, etc., just the sight or voice of one can just make your day.

To the extent that you succeed in affecting these factors, you may be able to control their numbers in your area and reduce those disgusting poop mopping exercises.

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd April 2012 at 02:28.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:27   #55
BHPian

Other than shooting birds or removing there homes is there any practical solution to save the paint of car? I can't prevent bird droppings but I want to save the acidic effect on paint. I had read somewhere that nano coating on glasses helps, as it doesn't allow the droppings to stay as they just flow down. Can something similar be done for paint also?

Most Viewed