Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2023, 11:38   #646
BHPian

Re: A Yetiguide® to Coffee

Quote:
I'd recommend Animane Cafe & Store in Indiranagar; they stock a variety of different beans / roast options for coffee enthusiasts. You could try out the options (try the coffee options in the format you like) in the cafe itself.

Edit: Just Noticed I replied to a late 2022 post. Still hope it is useful to others.
Definitely will try! For meantime, i'm using Vidhya Coffee. Plantation AA beans. Cheap and decent.
vinbie2019 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 06:27   #647
BHPian

Sam kapasi sir had a way with words, i can agree with each and every word. May God bless his soul.

So as majority of North Indian people, even we used to drink the instant nescafe that was hand whisked by my mother and then served with milk. While i liked it, i had started taking an occasional black coffee during late night study hours and i would wonder how do these english shows depict everyone drinking black coffee the first thing in the morning while mine just tastes sour, gives me a headache, doesn't help me focus and i can go to sleep just an hour later so i just returned to my late night chai and didn't give any second thoughts thinking maybe Black Coffee is not my cup of tea.

Recently again i started drinking nescafe due to the late night study sessions and bought myself nescafe coffee pouches and take one or two occasionally and felt the same i felt earlier whereas my sir drinks his coffee with a smile on his face and even mentions how great it tastes and once i even asked him as to which coffee he uses he told me Blue tokai and after looking at it's price, i thought i'll just have my tea but a few days back i bought some Colombian brew coffee which was cheap enough that i didn't mind experimenting and once it arrived i remembered that some time back someone had gifted us a Drip coffee machine which was lying in the store room. So i put it to use and made my first ever coffee and after taking the first sip all i could think was how nescafe was blueghh, how it tasted like black crap.

I had never tried CCD, starbucks or anything and this black coffee was almost an life changing event for me and i can never really go back to that Black crap and now i could completely understand why these shows would show black coffee and why my sir drinks black coffee and this coffee resulted in no headaches, it wasn't sour, it had flavors and helped me in managing the sleep plus the smell oh the fragrance the coffee machine makes, it's almost to die for.

I had never noticed this thread in all these years and all i could think was how i should write a thread on Teambhp how Nescafe tastes blueghh but then i typed Coffee+Teambhp and here i am.

Last edited by revvharder : 25th April 2023 at 06:36.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 12:56   #648
BHPian

Finally graduating from instant coffee world and got myself a Nespresso Essenza Mini. The espresso shot that it makes tastes and smells like heaven!

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-photo_20230506_125044.jpg

My brother was kind enough to get me coffee pods from the UK. It costs literally half of what we pay here and the variety there is also much much better.

That ground coffee powder that you see on the left is for my French Press that I also bought recently. Although I like to have my coffee with milk and still experimenting on that with the French Press.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-photo_20230506_124242.jpg

Last edited by Sherlocked : 6th May 2023 at 12:58.
Sherlocked is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 13:04   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post

My brother was kind enough to get me coffee pods from the UK. It costs literally half of what we pay here and the variety there is also much much better.
You can get refillable coffee pods like this and fill with coffee of your choice. This is just an example, search for best vfm.
Stainless Steel Refillable Coffee Pods Compatible for Nespresso VertuoPlus,Stainless Steel Reusable Coffee Capsules Pods (2.4 oz) https://amzn.eu/d/5wUPxJS
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:49   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Am currently using the Country Bean Steel Milk Frother. I find it good enough and serves my purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Hello BHP'ians,

Any suggestion for a good Milk Frother? There are lots in Amazon, unable to select the right one. Recently bought a Technora Drip Coffee Maker and want to compliment it with a good Frother.

Thanks in Advance!
I have got good results by using a french press for frothing milk. When the french press beaker glass broke, managed to find a steel jug to be used as an alternate. IMHO, much cheaper than the country bean frother and consistent frothing as well.
Old 19th July 2023, 21:07   #651
BHPian

I realised it’s been about 6 months since I got the Nespresso Essenza Mini. Thought to share my 2 bits, especially since I was sitting on the fence for ‘ages’ before taking the plunge.

I used to get by just fine with Blue Tokai (dark/medium roast) in drip/moka pot, and preferred regular plane jane cappuccino at cafes. My first experience with expresso, was the in-room Lavazza expresso machine at the Tree of Life in Jaipur. That left quite an impression - I had to have one!

It’s been great thus far touchwood. I really look forward to that 1 shot of expresso everyday. Highlight of the day really. So far have sampled the Starbucks series, its pretty good. The Nespresso pods are exceptionally good for expresso. I found the Lavazza ones to be good too, for cappuccino/milk variations and that too at a lower price point. I had ordered pods from Blue Tokai - but they were terrible. Yet to sample the extensive Coffeeza range of pods.

I got a milk frother from country bean recently, and can now make fantastic cappuchinos at home now.

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_4665.jpg

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_4784.jpg

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_6332.jpg

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_4791.jpg
promit is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 15:11   #652
BHPian

New addition to my Coffee arsenal - Bialetti Venus Moka Pot.

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img20231023065246.jpg

Rarely it happens that the first time you prepare coffee following a new method, and it turns out perfect. This is exactly what happened when I tried making a Latte first time yesterday using this Moka pot, which even works on induction.

This is a 2-cup version which I have got.

Couldn't be more happier owning this Italian beauty, and it perfectly compliments my existing Nespresso Essenza Mini setup.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:58   #653
BHPian

Anyone still looking for a good frother - highly recommend this dirt cheap one from IKEA. Does the job and less than a 100 bucks so you can experiment to your hearts content with even trying to make cappuccino art (I’m almost getting there!)

I first froth the moka pot coffee so it has some ‘creama’ created (mine is a simple Bialetti moka pot) and then froth the milk and pour to try and get a cappuccino feel and look.

https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/produkt...SABEgLjTPD_BwE
Evyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 12:36   #654
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here had success with a moka pot and preground filter-grind coffee (20% chicory). What I'm getting out of it right now tastes like a kaadha and I suspect it might be the chicory or maybe the coffee has gone stale. It is the coffee itself that has that distinct smell, it is just less harsh when brewed with a French press. Troubleshooting tips will be appreciated (grinding fresh is not an option for now).
Old 29th December 2023, 15:42   #655
BHPian

Great Thread! I cannot beleive I never chanced upon this thread all these years. Viva la Coffee Revolution! I was so used to instant coffee till a friend of mine gifted me a french press seeing my love for a hot cuppa. I have been using it since 5 years now & I get my coffee ground up from BLUE TOKAI , whole beans from SLEEPY OWL & I keep trying new brands here and there, but these two are my go to. Being from Delhi with my limited knowledge of coffee, these suit me just fine and are very convenient. Thinking of taking a basic machine which brews 4-5 cups but the french press is simple, convenient and makes delicious coffee for me without fail everyday. During the weekends, I sit in my balcony and enjoy some music with coffee, ritualistically. The plucky french press & my favourite mug are my weekend companions no matter where I am in the apartment.

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_4694.jpg

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_4695.jpg

Last edited by akp666 : 29th December 2023 at 15:54.
akp666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 13:25   #656
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I read with interest this forum. As a coffee estate owner I am glad that there are many coffee lovers and its greatly motivating. My two cents in this regards :

a: If you ever visit coffee growing area's like Madikeri, Chikmagalur or Hassan in Karnataka, pick 600 gm of quality robusta seed, 300 gm of Arabica seed and 100 gm of chicory powder, from any of the many shops selling these seeds. Ask the owner where you can get these seeds roasted. Once the seeds are roasted , the same guy would powder it for you. Request him for percolator fine, mix the powder with the chicory. You have with you ONE KG Excellent blend of coffee powder.

b: Order a percolator from Amazon or buy from any Steel vessel shop. Follow the instructions. You have a rejuvenating and cheapest Coffee one can get. Believe me.

You have the option of testing different taste by opting permutation and combination of the ratio of the THREE powders.

My most loved ratio is 60:30:10 ( Robusta: Arabica: Chicory )
sumukha is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 02:08   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
I read with interest this forum. As a coffee estate owner I am glad that there are many coffee lovers and its greatly motivating. My two cents in this regards :

a: If you ever visit coffee growing area's like Madikeri, Chikmagalur or Hassan in Karnataka, pick 600 gm of quality robusta seed, 300 gm of Arabica seed and 100 gm of chicory powder, from any of the many shops selling these seeds.
My most loved ratio is 60:30:10 ( Robusta: Arabica: Chicory )
We hit the source !!
Guess I can officially bother you with my Coffee queries.

I live in Helsinki, Finland and I love coffee. I am from Bangalore originally and am used to having Coffee with Chicory. Ironically, No Roastery blends with Chicory. The 60/30/10 ratio you mention is what I would have preferred to buy if available. Compromise - 70/30 Arabica/Robusta beans is what I buy. I buy only fresh roast's from local roasteries and once in a while, I try to test from different Roasteries.

The one I bought earlier today made me smile. Robusta is from Karnataka.
A little bit of home.

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20240101_221042.jpg

I use a Breville Barista Pro Espresso machine for my daily dose of Espresso/Cappuccino. Comes with it's own adjustable grinder too.

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-100000908301.jpeg

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20231230_100844.jpg

Last edited by 14000rpm : 2nd January 2024 at 02:12.
14000rpm is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 08:20   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

During my business travel, I detest the generic Nescafé sachets found in most hotel rooms. Any recommendations on which decoction sachet I can carry from Bangalore? I like mine with a tiny bit of milk and 1 sugar.
Old 2nd January 2024, 09:32   #659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
During my business travel, I detest the generic Nescafé sachets found in most hotel rooms. Any recommendations on which decoction sachet I can carry from Bangalore? I like mine with a tiny bit of milk and 1 sugar.
If you like French press, take your own. I always have one in most of my cars or at my destination - home/office.

The second best for me is these sachets. These are for black. They have some with milk as well but I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.in/Sleepy-Owl-Cof...s%2C326&sr=8-8
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 09:43   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any recommendations on which decoction sachet I can carry from Bangalore? I like mine with a tiny bit of milk and 1 sugar.
You can try the Id filter coffee decoction, available in all super markets nowadays. There are similar decoctions from other companies available in Amazon.
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks