Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:46   #526
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Yetiguide® to Coffee

Thanks all! Clearly, a lot to learn & a lot of information to process for newbies like me.

As a quick "starter pack", I got the following just to get the ball rolling today. Will also bring in a French Press once I learn some more from this thread.

My starter pack machine

Because I'd loved the coffee @ Perch, bought this from them. They sell it over the counter at the restaurant. Its a blend that Kaffa Cerrado makes specially for Perch.

Perch sells the beans, or they'll grind it for you on the spot.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220222-14.46.45.jpg

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220222-14.46.48.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:32   #527
BHPian

Need a couple of suggestions from the coffee experts here:
  • I’ve been using Blue Tokai and Colombian Coffee from Amazon. Any recommendations on similar coffee that’s not expensive like Davidoff or something?
  • Any recommendations on good coffee beans that I can order online? Also which grinder to go with, for that fresh cuppa.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:00   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Any recommendations on good coffee beans that I can order online? Also which grinder to go with, for that fresh cuppa.
Please try Devans coffee beans, you can order online from their website. Their A+ Arabica is fantastic VFM, the best I have found after trying different brands high and low throughout the country. Honestly nothing comes close to them. They normally do Fedex next day shipping and think you can order ground from them as well.

I use a De'Longhi Bean to Cup machine for Espresso's and Long Black's. Honestly once you go Bean to Cup then there is no going back, the taste, richness and creaminess of the coffee is outstanding. I'm saying this after using a French Press for years and years. The only one I may sometimes flit back and forth to is a Moka pot for the unique taste.

If you can get your hands on a bean to cup then please do it. Honestly the best investment I have ever made, and really wasn't that expensive - I got it for half price in the UK a few years ago and brought it back in a suitcase. (I calculated my ROI was that I broke even after about 18 months of using this instead of heading out to artisanal cafe's. Even then, it's a priceless feeling to have this at home 7am every morning).

Ps. I know getting a B2C machine in India can be difficult so would then recommend a Nespresso machine with pods, it is at least 60% of the way there.

Last edited by s4ch : 23rd February 2022 at 12:00. Reason: Fixed quote formatting
s4ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:59   #529
Senior - BHPian

Literally my fav topic outside of cars . My morning coffee is normally black from a french press and evening cuppa is usually a cappucino or a latte since i have a espresso machine and enjoy doing some latteart. Some pictures i pulled from my insta profile below.

For coffee my goto option is always Vienna Roast from Blue Tokai, but I do keep experimenting med to dark roasts from different brands.

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220120_191007.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220122_112901.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220129_185444.jpg

IF any one wants an espresso machine, I have the one below from Tecnora. This is most vfm option in India without compromising on the pressure needed for a good espresso extraction. I have been using it for 4+ yrs now. My saviour during last 2 yrs of pandemic era.

https://www.amazon.in/TECNORA-Classico-Thermoblock-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B01N2WG8PT/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1XTJK9FPPDMG8&keywords=espresso+ma chine&qid=1645600195&s=kitchen&sprefix=espresso+ma chine%2Ckitchen%2C231&sr=1-7
supertinu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:21   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Perch sells the beans, or they'll grind it for you on the spot.
Never grind beans way too much in advance. They retain flavour longer if left unground (and in the freezer). Grinding the beans releases the essential oils and they begin evaporating.

The other advantage is that you can choose your grind based on your mood. So for example, if on a Sunday you want to use a french press instead of a Moka pot you can choose to grind the beans coarser for that Sunday.

Automatic machines from companies like DeLonghi, Jura, Saeco, Gaggia etc will grind only what is needed for the one serving. For these machines, do remember to clean the milk nozzle after each use (each use might be several cups).
navin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:32   #531
BHPian

My home setup. Letlt Anna with Eureka Mignon grinder. Also double espresso shot pulled from the machine and the same being diluted for an Americano. Tastes pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220223_192657_copy_3600x4800.jpg  

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220223_192026_copy_3600x4800.jpg  

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220223_191857_copy_3600x4800.jpg  

archat68 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:09   #532
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I'm loving this thread
Based on everyone's choice, I'm going to order Blue Tokai's Vienna Roast once I'm done with my KC's Kelagur Estate honey. For commercial coffee, I was quite satisfied with Lavazza Espresso beans or Lavazza Qualita ORO (very good taste for Long black w/ milk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My home setup. Letlt Anna with Eureka Mignon grinder. Also double espresso shot pulled from the machine and the same being diluted for an Americano. Tastes pretty good.
Wonderful, the crema on your shot looks lovely! If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost you here in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Literally my fav topic outside of cars . My morning coffee is normally black from a french press and evening cuppa is usually a cappucino or a latte since i have a espresso machine and enjoy doing some latteart. Some pictures i pulled from my insta profile below.
Your latte art looks superb! Do you have one of those coffee shop mugs to steam & pour the milk? I suppose a conical mouth is needed for such precision, isn't it? Any suggestion for a non-expensive milk frother?
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:18   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Wonderful, the crema on your shot looks lovely! If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost you here in India?
I bought it from Coffee.plus in Delhi. The whole setup was around 88k. You can see their website for current prices.

Regarding crema, it can be much better with fresher beans. The beans I used isn't that fresh.

Regarding milk frothing pitcher, they aren't costly at all. You can get good quality one at Amazon for 600 bucks (suitable for one or two drinks). But steaming milk and creating a latte art with it is a different ball game, as it requires lot of practice . But you can produce a good quality milk drink with frothed milk quite easily.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:36   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post

Your latte art looks superb! Do you have one of those coffee shop mugs to steam & pour the milk? I suppose a conical mouth is needed for such precision, isn't it? Any suggestion for a non-expensive milk frother?
Thanks RJK. I steam the milk with the steam wand on my espresso machine. There is some practice and precision to get the right steamed milk that can be used to create latteart. You need a simple steel pitcher like in link below for steaming milk and pouring for latteart. But it takes practice to get some amount of consistency. Took me 3-4m to make good hearts, but from heart to leaf took a loong time.

https://www.amazon.in/Electomania%C2%AE-Kitchen-Stainless-Frothing-%EF%BC%88Silvery%EF%BC%89/dp/B07KD22394/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1AY99AG80TCIJ&keywords=milk+frothe r+mug&qid=1645635732&sprefix=milk+frother+mug%2Cap s%2C264&sr=8-4
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 11:12   #535
BHPian

I am planning to buy the Havells Donato Espresso machine. Need advise and suggestions before buying.

https://www.amazon.in/Havells-Donato...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Looking for Cappuccino and Espresso coffees depending on the mood at home.
Is this the right machine?
Can I use Nescafe Gold or Davidoff coffee powder available locally in this machine?
Which powder would be best for a cappuccino and which would be best for an Espresso? (Prefer medium strength coffees)
Old 25th February 2022, 12:14   #536
BHPian

Fascinating to see so many Coffee Lovers here. Being a South Indian, i am a true-blue fan of 'Filter Kaapi'. I get my Coffee Power grinded in 80:20 ratio of Coffee:Chicory and prepare Decoction using Preethi Drip Machine. Earlier, my day wouldn't start without having a Hot Cup of Filter Coffee. As i started following IF recently, i am trying to get myself comfortable to Black Coffee and have it once during the 12 - 16 Hr. Fast time. Post 16 Hrs., i have my regular Filter Coffee with Milk. Initially tried Black Coffee using the regular Bru / Nescafe / Tata Grand and it was Ok. Nothing special. Then moved to having Black Coffee using Filter Coffee Decoction, which tastes better. Now, reading the recent content here, have ordered a Blue Tokai Channi Kit with Dark Roast Sample Pack, as i prefer my Coffee Strong. If this goes well, i might invest in a French Press Kit later.

Since i practice IF, a question i had is, can these flavored variant Black Coffees (Fruity, Hazelnut, Cocoa, Chocolate) be had during the Fast period? Or does it have to be pure unflavored Black Coffee only?
abhi3284 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 17:51   #537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Since i practice IF, a question i had is, can these flavored variant Black Coffees (Fruity, Hazelnut, Cocoa, Chocolate) be had during the Fast period? Or does it have to be pure unflavored Black Coffee only?
No idea on this. But best is to stick to regular espresso. Also at risk of being flogged by you all; please do note coffee is also coming upon as a big fad too (something like new found fitness/endurance sports!) We should really first "like" the taste before we go deep into it. Basically we should slowly get comfortable with taste (or the fitness activity like in the example) before we fully embrace it.

I have been having black coffee for around 15 Years now. But the initial years I did not like it that much. It took some time. During those times I did have regular filter coffee with milk and sugar (some thing which I loved back then and something which stay away from now)

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2022 at 17:52.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 19:21   #538
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
My suggestion would be to avoid the flavoured stuff. Assuming they have a lightly sweet-ish taste, there might be an element of sugar disguised under some chemical name. I stick to a long black coffee, if you drink instant then just coffee powder + hot water.

Quote:
Also at risk of being flogged by you all; please do note coffee is also coming upon as a big fad too (something like new found fitness/endurance sports!) We should really first "like" the taste before we go deep into it. Basically we should slowly get comfortable with taste (or the fitness activity like in the example) before we fully embrace it.
Agree. Lot of people are just posers whose aim is only to show off the coffee cup from where they bought their coffee, on Instagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Looking for Cappuccino and Espresso coffees depending on the mood at home. Is this the right machine?
Not sure if the machine can create any pressure for espresso based drink. My suspicion is that it won’t. Do Go through the above posts which have links for budget friendly espresso makers.

Quote:
Can I use Nescafe Gold or Davidoff coffee powder available locally in this machine?
Now this is sacrilegious
Instant coffee never=espresso based drink; be it Nescafé Gold or Davidoff.

Quote:
Which powder would be best for a cappuccino and which would be best for an Espresso? (Prefer medium strength coffees)
You need ground powder from beans. You can order them from KC Roasters, Blue Tokai, Flying squirrel and many others listed on this thread.

My suggestion would be to go to coffee houses and start experimenting with coffees before ordering any equipment. You might end up preferring the instant coffee (based on your questions) and then regret having spent money on a coffee maker. Try out medium roast coffees first and if interest persists move on to buying the equipment.

Cheers

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th February 2022 at 03:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
RJK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 10:33   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have been having black coffee for around 15 Years now. But the initial years I did not like it that much. It took some time.
Suddenly reminds me of developing a taste for Whiskey. You can only appreciate the fine ones after years of experience. Initially they all taste same!
Old 26th February 2022, 12:11   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quick question.
I drink instant coffee. Nescafe Gold to be precise since ages with Milk and sugar.
Never drank black coffee so I am wondering whether I will like it or not. Will try for sure after reading so many recommendations for the same.

Anyways, so my question is if i want to change from Nescafe Gold( which i like very much) should I opt for Davidoff intense 57 or something else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks