Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 13:44   #376
BANNED

Re: A Yetiguide® to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Ordered online, Chikmagalur coffee. You will be surprised of the price, check it out at below link.

https://www.instamojo.com/panduranga...end/?ref=store

Tells us the price but not the quantity.
Old 12th August 2018, 17:40   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
https://www.instamojo.com/panduranga...end/?ref=store

Tells us the price but not the quantity.
Blame the IT guy for it. It's a per kg price. Attached is a pic of one of the four quarter kg packs I received.
Attached Thumbnails
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_20180812_173236.jpg  

Old 12th August 2018, 18:31   #378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Blame the IT guy for it. It's a per kg price. Attached is a pic of one of the four quarter kg packs I received.
I currently buy from Leo Coffee. It's 102 Rs for 200 gms. But that's for pure coffee, no chicory. I think Panduranga's pure coffee is in the same range but a little more expensive.
Old 12th August 2018, 19:54   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I currently buy from Leo Coffee. It's 102 Rs for 200 gms. But that's for pure coffee, no chicory. I think Panduranga's pure coffee is in the same range but a little more expensive.
Nice, am happy for you. About me after using Andhra filter coffee & filter powder in South, am very satisfied with this blend. My priority was a strong blend. Originally I posted my experience in the online shopping thread as I never knew of this thread. Also my post was to inform of the convenience of their online shopping platform, prices include free all India shipping. Finally, I think I will stick with this blend and company for long, as I like it.

Last edited by ritz3645 : 12th August 2018 at 20:08. Reason: Info
Old 24th August 2018, 21:28   #380
BHPian

Not a coffee lover but i have it quite often. Tried several 70:30, 80:20 coffee chicory blends buy didn't like them much. I prefer instant 100% pure coffee.
Old 1st September 2018, 21:03   #381
Senior - BHPian

Not much of a filter coffee user due to convenience. Have been alternating between instant coffee brands such as Sunrise, Bru and Bru Gold. Find the classic Nescafé to be not my South Indian taste.

But for the last 6 months I have been buying Tata Grande and it is far better than the other brands. It looks like dry frozen crystals, and these crystals melt when you heat the milk up, so you get a filter coffee feeling. But somehow not able to find Tata Grande at every store. Even big basket does not have stock most of the time. I really hope this sells well and shops stock it up!
Old 28th October 2018, 20:04   #382
Senior - BHPian

A new eatery has opened up near my workplace. The coffee available there has succeeded in satiating my hunger for that near 'perfect' blend. However, that one cuppa a day treat has taken the taste out of the regular, pukka local coffee that I have been patronising for over a decade. The domestic brew pales so much in comparison to the new discovery that I have almost stopped drinking coffee at home.

On the instant coffee front, I have never been a fan. Recently, happened to pick up a few (₹2/-) sachets of Levista on a whim, from a supermarket aisle. Must say I am impressed. Can be a handy companion at times of coffee crisis/distress!
Old 14th March 2019, 08:25   #383
Senior - BHPian

My Coffee Journey

I am surprised that for a community known for nuance, there are hardly any posts on this lovely thread about an item that inspires endless experimentation and geek behavior. Another reason to miss Sam

TL;DR - Get an espresso machine if you are a geek and love strong coffee, else an aeropress is ideal. The crema in espresso gives strong flavor but bitterness that can overshadow the more complex flavor notes. For that you are better off with paper pour over coffee such as aeropress or v60.
Brew only arabica coffee! Robusta is bitter and not flavorful in general.

Firstly, about my journey:
I am a recovering coffee abuser and now aficionado.

In my consulting job, I have consumed 3-4 redbulls or cokes in a day on top of 2-3 double espressos between 2013-16. Till 2017, I used to detest coffee as an occupational and socializing hazard - coffee is what keeps one awake and coffee shops are where you meet folks.

That's when a dear friend began coaching me about coffee and I discovered the AeroPress. And I started with Devan's arabica coffee.

It is such an amazing and a beautiful device. But more on that later.
Two aeropress, a minipresso and an espresso machine and about 20kg of coffee later, I think I can be called a coffee nut.

This is an endless journey of discovery and for anyone passing through Gurgaon, hit me up - I would be glad to share my little knowledge and atleast the joy of good coffee!

Anyhow, allow me to fast forward to last couple of weekends, where I have compared:
a. Cold Brew by https://sleepyowl.co/
Very nicely packaged and easy to use. But for me who likes instant satisfaction, complex flavors and less bitterness (or pungency?) - didn't work.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-zimg_20190306_211z244_894.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-coffee001.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-zimg_20190308_141546_913.jpg
Plus, since you have to do it overnight, careless people like me will make it too strong. I had to dilute the coffee in a 1:1 ratio - while I am otherwise someone who drinks espresso shots only.

It looks gorgeous though - if that's any solace!

b. Espresso using http://www.myespressino.com/ machine
My favorite - it creates coffee with crema in under a minute. Together with my Baratza encore grinder and Vepson weighing scale - it has unlocked a journey of infinite experimentation.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-zimg_20190221_003201_220.jpgA Yetiguide® to Coffee-zimg_20190221_001100_503.jpg

Last weekend, I did a weekend ride with fellow BHPian, biker and coffee nut, Anirban. Then I headed over to his house to grind some fresh coffee and compare blends.
The v60 is not a device. It is just a way to brew excellent drip coffee. It ensures adequate extraction through a large surface area, and special paper that removes the oils, allowing the flavors to really come through.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-coffee002.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-imag90683.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-coffee004.jpg
Only con - it needs time and love to do it right. Ideal for a morning cup. You need a pouring jug to really ensure adequate mixing else it doesn't bloom. Coffee that has been ground a week back, and the pack opened multiple times, doesn't bloom either. So it needs effort and a leisurely Sunday morning. Which is why I don't own one despite loving the taste. Bahoot hard it is!

A fortnight back, I did a comparison brewing session between the Moka pot, the Minipresso, the Aeropress, and the French press.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-0_imag89712.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-0_imag89742.jpg
Devices: Minipresso, Aeropress, French press
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-0_imag8970.jpg

Verdict - The moka pot produces a watery brew. The miniresso produces the strongest delightful near espresso brew. The french press and aeropress with metal filter produce a nice flavorful brew with less bitterness but the french press is stronger.

c. Moka pot by Bialetti https://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stov...-c-1_7_22.html
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-coffee009.jpg

An italian classic, popularized by Cafe Coffee Day and loved in many homes in India, it unfortunately makes coffee that's a bit watery. other than that, nice and easy to use, with decent flavor. The CCD version at 599 is a Good device for someone who doesn't want to invest money.

d. Minipresso GR by Wacaco: https://www.wacaco.com/pages/minipresso-gr

Lovely device for espresso on the move. Just add BOILING (not hot) water. Ideal for single shots only. https://gizmodo.com/this-minature-ha...ffe-1645208685 summarizes some issues. It needs proper cleaning post use as it leaks water everywhere afterward without proper drying and a spoon to remove the compacted coffee grounds. Tamping should be just right. Not too much either. If the water isnt hot enough, the flavor can be terrible. Lovely but clunky and unforgiving.

e. Aeropress by Aerobie https://aeropress.com/
Take a minute to watch this video:

It is in my mind the number one coffee brewing device for travelers. Operated in the inverted configuration with a steel filter, it matches the French press! I have used it everywhere - office, home, on the road, in flight! It is super easy to clean up afterward - as opposed to the minipresso. Further, it generates a very decent cup of coffee using all temperatures of water - its unfussy vs the minipresso. The incremental perfection isn't worth it for someone who can't ensure temperature of water to be used.

It is not without reason that there is a World Aeropress Championship, but not for other devices!

f. French press
This is the old way of brewing coffee esp in hotels or at home without a machine. Bodum is the #1 brand which is sold by Starbucks in India. I dislike their travel mug since it needs perfectly ground coffee which is hard. inevitably some grounds can be tasted. Plus this needs about 5 minutes - so not something I recommend.

Other than that it brews a nice strong complex cup of coffee.

h. Green Coffee:
This is one of the latest fads(?) to hit the market - it does taste a lot like green tea and has much less bitterness and flavor than regular coffee. Not one for me.
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-gcb-boil.jpg
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-moka-pot-vs-gcb.jpg
Please look at the color of the coffee from moka pot vs the GCB (no color correction). Pale greenish yellow.

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th March 2019 at 08:48.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:16   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am surprised that for a community known for nuance, there are hardly any posts on this lovely thread about an item that inspires endless experimentation and geek behavior. Another reason to miss Sam

TL;DR - Get an espresso machine if you are a geek and love strong coffee, else an aeropress is ideal.
Thank you for the detailed post. 12 years back the urge to own an espresso machine got so strong that I got a KitchenAid espresso machine. Initially it was so wonderful to have fresh brew at home comfort, but the whole process was time consuming and after a while I was back to my regular coffee shop for the morning fix

The AeroPress looks like a good option
Old 14th March 2019, 10:39   #385
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Coffee Journey

Quote:
Blast, I didn't know you were a coffee gourmet. I'm past the phase of buying various gadgets to brew coffee - though an Aeropress sounds very tempting and I really should have picked one up when I was stateside a couple of weeks back - I keep forgetting to do so.

Of the local specialty coffee roasters, many of them are not quite aware of precise grind and roast techniques, and instead everybody seems to roast everything to a uniform either second crack or past that to an extremely dark french roast. That's somewhere before and after the range where I like my coffee (just before a French roast, or past the second crack) so that's fine.

Of all the specialty roasters - the ones that I like and also have some good notion of what roasts and grinds are and why they matter -

1. Flying Squirrel, Coorg - based in Koramangala, Bangalore - flyingsquirrel.in

2. Blue Tokai - chain present all over the place but quite good, stocks many single origin estate coffees and decent blends https://bluetokaicoffee.com/

3. Siruvani Coffee - Just past the Kerala border and Coimbatore - a very aromatic medium roast. https://www.amazon.in/Siruvani-Coffe.../dp/B01M4O31HO http://www.siruvaniestate.com/

I need to check out this guy's chocolates by the way, speaking of Coimbatore. https://scroll.in/magazine/909412/la...-in-chocolates
Old 14th March 2019, 10:55   #386
BHPian

I also buy whole beans from Devans. Their Arabica Plantation AAA is quite good for Aeropress or a Frenchpress. They are every very well priced at Rs 800/KG.
Old 14th March 2019, 14:02   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
comfort, but the whole process was time consuming
The AeroPress looks like a good option

I have timed myself. The espresso machine does the job in 3 min flat including grinding the beans in parallel and dumping them.

In the machine you can wait to throw the grind later. But in aeropress you must clean up before you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
an Aeropress sounds very tempting and I really should have picked one up when I was stateside

Of the local specialty coffee roasters, many of them are not quite aware of precise grind and roast techniques, and instead everybody seems to roast everything to a uniform
All specialty roasters grind them well for aeropress. This is surprising to hear. Regardless, you can buy a nice grinder as well. I've used the Hario Mini Mill for 1.5 years!

Aeropress is only 600 bucks costlier here. Recently blue tokai was running a minor discount on their website and offering free taster coffees too!

Look up Corridor Seven on insta. Mithilesh does an excellent job with a range of light medium roasts. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs7MT4JHLUF/ I vouch for them wholeheartedly. They are my favorite to go place for gifting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I also buy whole beans from Devans.. They are every very well priced at Rs 800/KG.
Agreed. They are best value but variety is the spice of life so I order from others. I must have tried over a dozen Indian roasters by now. Will post a separate thread on coffee blends. Please hold your horses on that!

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th March 2019 at 14:04.
Old 14th March 2019, 14:31   #388
BHPian

Thanks for reviving this thread!

I am a big fan of the Aeropress. It is just so convenient! However, it does take more than a few tries to figure out how to make a great cup of coffee - regular vs inverted, brew time, grind, water temperature,etc. But post that, its brilliant.

For Espresso, I use a Technora machine and find it to be pretty good. Better than a few low end imported makes.

Weekends are when the French Press is used.

Still trying to ace my Moka Pot game. Cant seem to make my brew consistent

About the coffee: After having tried the craft roasts, I am back to my neighborhood shop who always has the freshest stock of roasted beans (Suma Coffee works). Buy a week's supply and then grind it as per need and equipment being used at home.

PS: Anyone tried roasting their own beans?

PPS: A couple of times a year, nothing beats the beaten up version of Nescafe! Purists please dont kill me.
Old 14th March 2019, 14:40   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have timed myself. The espresso machine does the job in 3 min flat including grinding the beans in parallel and dumping them.
With the KitchenAid it was easily a 15 mins job, and the clean up after that
Old 14th March 2019, 14:47   #390
Senior - BHPian

I love my coffee and I like it strong... and my quest for a good cuppa is turning out to be a cumbersome journey rather than an enjoyable one.

Come to think of it, I started drinking coffee only a few years ago. 2012 IIRC. It was a ride to Chikmagalur with a large group of friends and one of them had popped into the town market to buy coffee. One sniff of that powder and I was hooked. I had no space in my tailbag but managed to squeeze a kilo of "Panduranga" coffee which boasted of coffee seeds processed in the Rolls Royce of machines.

Loved that coffee and regularly ordered from them for myself and a few friends all over the country. Sadly, the aroma and quality of the coffee IMHO tanked considerably since the past year or two. The aroma would fade away in a week despite using air tight containers, taste would be barely distinguishable from the non Rolls Royce machine processed coffees.

Sourced other varieties from Chikmagalur and Coorg, tried Leo coffee from TN and other places but still couldn't find something that ticked my flavour buds. I like my coffee strong (just a spot of milk) and only enjoyed them on international trips. While I travelled to Budapest and Manila, I enjoyed 5-6 double espresso's almost every single day, thanks to this one but unfortunately they don't have presence in India. The unit is available on Amazon but reviews are terrible as you need to get a transformer (?) for the power rating difference.

I'm not sure whether the issue is with the coffee itself or the quality of water and/or milk. I know the coffee beans here are acidic (sour taste of espresso) and the water quality of bangalore further kills the coffee.

I use a drip machine which is a very basic one (link) and although it isn't close to the nespresso, I forcefully stick to just one cuppa a day (in the morning to awaken me).

Any suggestions from the connoisseurs here on where I can get coffee which is closest to the Nespresso Espresso?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks