Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:46   #226
BANNED

Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksunil View Post
Now I am going to purchase MorphyRichards programmable type. Cost around 4400. Cheers
Morphy Richards parts are terribly expensive. If even a minor thing goes wrong, you will end up paying a lot for the parts - so much, that you will think it's better to buy a new one rather than repair it.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:45   #227
Team-BHP Support

some bad news: Filter coffee to rise by Rs 50 per kg - The Times of India
Old 13th March 2011, 04:18   #228
BHPian

I got the delivery of my Morphy Richards coffee machine. It is an improvement over the koryo one. It's timer works!You can get a good coffee at any time you set. Filter is good. Less coffee residue in the cup. The carafe is even thinner than the one I had from Koryo. Guess I have to wash it carefully. The manual and all are designed for U.K. But the piece is made in China. I most probably won't get a replacement if the carafe breaks.
Old 13th March 2011, 04:42   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksunil View Post
I got the delivery of my Morphy Richards coffee machine. It is an improvement over the koryo one. It's timer works!You can get a good coffee at any time you set. Filter is good. Less coffee residue in the cup. The carafe is even thinner than the one I had from Koryo. Guess I have to wash it carefully. The manual and all are designed for U.K. But the piece is made in China. I most probably won't get a replacement if the carafe breaks.
Nope. Carafe replacement shouldn't be a problem, though it would cost twice what you would expect to pay.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:29   #230
BHPian

It's a really good thread guys, I read it end to end before and glad to have a refresher now Now I want to know, anyplace to buy this Indian Filter Coffee maker online? I'm from Chennai..been many times but I only drink the tea, I had no idea about the coffee
Old 21st March 2011, 14:47   #231
BHPian

You are in Sydney right?
Try a Bodum Coffee Press.
Try Amazon:
Amazon.com: Bodum Chambord Coffee Press: Kitchen & Dining

OR

www.bodumusa.com - the Bodum online shop
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:43   #232
BHPian

I just cant live without coffee. Like Sam, I too used to grew up with Instant Coffee (Ricory & Sunrise) from my childhood. Woke up almost every mornings with Suprabatham and Bed coffee. (sigh.. nostalgia). Occasionally tasted filter coffees at friends houses and outside.

Later when I got job and moved to chennai, I learned to prepare the filter coffee. Bought a pair of coffee filters. Gave one to mom and kept one for myself. Became a strong fan of it soon then. Personal favorite is the black coffee with honey. It just rocks!

Guess what? when I was searching for bride.. one of the questions I asked them is - "Do you drink filter coffee or Tea?". No offense, but I straight away rejected girls who don't drink atleast - the instant coffee. When Vani said that she loves filter kaapi, I became happy. One of the top priorities - satisfied. Other things went well and we got married. Now, we start our day with a good and strong filter kaapi.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:55   #233
Senior - BHPian

@rajesh, Thats a funny story about your marriage! You can tell that to some coffee company to make ad based on that.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:07   #234
BHPian

A perfect gift to Sam. I got this from bangalore. Coffee is good in taste also. After all Yeti can not be wrong!!!
A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-dsc03410.jpg
Old 5th April 2011, 16:04   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
You are in Sydney right?
Try a Bodum Coffee Press.
Try Amazon:
Amazon.com: Bodum Chambord Coffee Press: Kitchen & Dining

OR

www.bodumusa.com - the Bodum online shop

Hi, Right! Sydney

Thanks for the links, now i know what you're talking about its actually available here so I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 15:35   #236
BHPian

Re: Thank you!

This evening, I go out and buy me a coffee maker. :-) Thanks Sam for the erudition. Ever since I had first smelled fresh ground coffee a few years back abroad, I have always wanted my house to smell the same, but I've been too lazy. Am determined to change my ways thanks to you, Sam.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:10   #237
Senior - BHPian

Which coffee maker?

I'm evaluating these 3 machines. Can someone suggest which is a good one?

1. http://www.letsbuy.com/black-decker-...ts_description

2. http://www.letsbuy.com/morphy-richar...xpress-p-12748

3. http://www.letsbuy.com/kenwood-cm-70-p-14033

My requirement is to have 2-4 cups capacity. I know the Morphy Richards one is an overkill (as it does fancy coffees as well), but still included it in the list.

One question - do all these machines accept beans or powder only?

And can I use Indian filter coffee powder in them?
Old 12th July 2011, 16:57   #238
BANNED

Re: Which coffee maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm evaluating these 3 machines. Can someone suggest which is a good one?

1. http://www.letsbuy.com/black-decker-...ts_description

2. http://www.letsbuy.com/morphy-richar...xpress-p-12748

3. http://www.letsbuy.com/kenwood-cm-70-p-14033

My requirement is to have 2-4 cups capacity. I know the Morphy Richards one is an overkill (as it does fancy coffees as well), but still included it in the list.

One question - do all these machines accept beans or powder only?

And can I use Indian filter coffee powder in them?
The Black&Decker & Kenwood surely do not accept beans. The Morphy Richards one also doesn't look like it does, but I am not 100% sure.

Morphy Richards parts are very expensive. I would avoid it - no idea about parts for B&D& Kenwood.

However, in my opinion, you should buy a Prestige or a Citizen coffee maker if you are looking for the drip coffee maker (the B/D & Kenwood ones in the link above). These brands are cheaper - would could cost you somewhere between 900 to 1200 Rs.
Their spare parts are very reasonably priced.

They are available at any good Stainless Steel Vessel shop (the shops which sell all household utensils, mixers, grinders etc) - it's cheaper there as compared to the the electronic shops which stock coffee machines.

I have personal experience with Prestige & Morphy Richards(not the fancy coffee maker, but a regular drip coffee maker). Quality wise both are similar & Prestige is cheaper for the same kind of machine. And the shop keeper told me that Citizen is also as good.

Last edited by carboy : 12th July 2011 at 17:00.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

After much deliberation and research, I've zeroed down on the Morphy Richards Cafe Express. I'm looking for good espresso (not eXpresso) and my better half would want the fancy Latte and Cappucino stuff. So I guess this should serve the purpose well. I'm also getting this at a great price of around 2.4k.

Morphy Richards India - Coffee Makers - Cafe Express
A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-146_195_1.jpg

However, carboy has been dissuading me from MR. I checked out the coffee makers at Croma and the cheaper ones looked very plasticky and not so long lasting.

Buddy, can you please specify WHAT parts are so prohibitively expensive and what is the frequency of their replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The Black&Decker & Kenwood surely do not accept beans. The Morphy Richards one also doesn't look like it does, but I am not 100% sure.

Morphy Richards parts are very expensive. I would avoid it - no idea about parts for B&D& Kenwood.

However, in my opinion, you should buy a Prestige or a Citizen coffee maker if you are looking for the drip coffee maker (the B/D & Kenwood ones in the link above). These brands are cheaper - would could cost you somewhere between 900 to 1200 Rs.
Their spare parts are very reasonably priced.

They are available at any good Stainless Steel Vessel shop (the shops which sell all household utensils, mixers, grinders etc) - it's cheaper there as compared to the the electronic shops which stock coffee machines.

I have personal experience with Prestige & Morphy Richards(not the fancy coffee maker, but a regular drip coffee maker). Quality wise both are similar & Prestige is cheaper for the same kind of machine. And the shop keeper told me that Citizen is also as good.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:38   #240
BHPian

I had read this thread a long time back and I had forgotten about it.
Anyway, on a US trip last month I got myself a Cuisinart EM-200 espresso machine.

I had to get a voltage convertor from SP Road to use it here in India, but now every morning I treat myself to a delicious cappuccino or latte!
Attached Thumbnails
A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-em200.jpg  

Last edited by johnjacob : 18th July 2011 at 17:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks