Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 17:36   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Good luck! At best it will work like a charm like it does for me and at worst you'll go back to your old system (which is? I have no idea how coffee is stored otherwise!)

I am assuming A stands for Arabica? Isn't pea berry the same as Arabica? I use pure pea berry. 75% normal roast & 25% dark roast. I feel it gives the strongest flavor.
A stands for Plantation A.
Indian filter coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Traditionally, the coffee bean varieties Plantation A or Peaberry are used to make Filter Coffee, with Plantation A being considered slightly inferior.
Old 13th October 2010, 02:15   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A stands for Plantation A.
Uhh. Whoa. It's getting complicated now! Anyway I think I'll stick to what I use as of now. Quite happy with it.
And also isn't Robusta also used in some small amounts? Isn't that considered inferior as well?
Old 30th October 2010, 21:08   #198
RKM

Hi!

I just got accepted as a member a few days ago and have been going through the 'must read' items listed out for new members. That lead me to the Yetiguide to posting in good English and that, in turn, led me here. At the risk of butting in on more meaningful discussions, I can't stop myself from saying that I simply love the subject of this thread, just as I love the other one - both of them immediately brought a smile to my face. In fact, I'm completely bowled over by the presence of such knowledgeable threads dealing with the finer points of life (?) on a forum such as this, and can only say 'wow'!

Kudos to Sam Kapasi on his very innovative and completely original threads, and to the hard work that has gone into them. Keep it coming!

'Wow!' once again.

RKM
Old 12th November 2010, 15:29   #199
BHPian

hey guys, i'm hoping to acquire some must try coffee's or even coffee house related snacks which might be available. my family is currently in india and am adding things to the list for them to bring back for me daily. coffee has a distinct difference in flavour over there and i'm adding it to the list.

in new delhi itself...are there any places and specific coffee's one might recommend? i've already asked for the instant coffee pack's from cafe coffee day. just something different that isn't available here in canada. are there small packs of ground/sealed coffee available? anything else anyone cares to recommend?

thanks in advance guys.
Old 11th December 2010, 13:33   #200
BANNED

Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

I normally get my coffee from local grinder/roaster, but this week I got it from a Cafe Coffee Day outlet.
- They had one non-chicory mix coffee - Dark Forest or something like that - it's bloody expensive - 150Rs for 200 gms
- Their chicory mix has 20% chicory - but also costs more than my regular guy.
- All the packets they had in their shop were bloody old - dated 9/10 or 10/10.
- I got one pack of chicory mix - tastes very average - I didn't expect much.

Even if you don't have a local roaster/grinder - it's much better to buy from a South India Shop which has a pre-packed coffee/chicory mix branded Mysore Concerns or some such thing. It's cheaper than Coffee Day, Fresher & tastes better.

I have bought from Cafe Coffee Day's FreshNGround outlets in Hyderabad - which is as good & cheap as a roaster - but those outlets don't seem to exist in Bombay.
Old 11th December 2010, 13:57   #201
BHPian

To all coffee-holics, I got this metal filter coffee maker from Kerela. The one with a bottom container, and a top container which acts as a filter and has a plunger.
I haven't been able to reproduce coffee as good as the real deal. Can someone help me with the proportions and stuff.
I like my coffee strong with very little sugar.
What I do;
Put around 1.5 spoons of crushed Robusta beans in the top container. Put the plunger over it an add 45ml of boiling water. Close the lid.
Then use the concoction and put it in boiling water + a little milk.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 14th December 2010, 16:56   #202
BHPian

2 points that I would like to add to the discussion:

1. Roasted Coffee Beans: It is not enough to just buy any roasted coffee beans. Most places do not roast the beans enough. The roasting must be done enough for the beans to still contain 20% moisture. The beans must not be totally dry as that will add bitterness when grounded to a powder. We buy the roasted beans and re-roast it at home. Adds a wonderful aroma. Besides, when there is 20% of moisture, the oils of the beans can also be extracted. If there is no moisture, the lack of the oil in the decoction will make the coffee bitter.

2. Aeration: If you have noticed in the CCD cafes, hot steam is injected into milk. This is not just to heat the milk, it is also meant to add "body" to the milk and enhance the sweetness of the milk. It is a method of aeration and adds froth to "within" the milk thereby adding "body". Remember, to aerate, the milk must be cold.

Prajwal
Old 14th December 2010, 20:53   #203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
2. Aeration: If you have noticed in the CCD cafes, hot steam is injected into milk. This is not just to heat the milk, it is also meant to add "body" to the milk and enhance the sweetness of the milk. It is a method of aeration and adds froth to "within" the milk thereby adding "body". Remember, to aerate, the milk must be cold.
Milk in coffee is for weenies & yuppies. Real men drink it black. John Wayne drank it black, and so did Joe DiMaggio.

Me, well, I am 3/4th there - I drink it without milk, but do add sugar.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:41   #204
BHPian

I'm yet to find a good quality bean in Kolkata :( . Beans that are available are not that fresh due to low demand.
Old 25th December 2010, 10:47   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

How I love X'mas

Knowing my love and desire for a real coffee machine, my wife gifted me this last night, she carried it all the way from Germany.

A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-125_0.jpg

This is what you might call the Bentley of coffee machines. Made in Switzerland.

Roasted beans go in, it crushes them. It's got features and accessories that I'm still trying to understand. Water softener and what not.

Does the works, coffee, espresso, capuccino (you can see the frother and milk pie etc) and latte macchiato and EVERYTHING.

So, the next time you come to my place, you KNOW what you're drinking.
Old 25th December 2010, 10:56   #206
BHPian

That's some Christmas gift Sam!!
Old 25th December 2010, 11:05   #207
BHPian

Re: How I love X'mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Knowing my love and desire for a real coffee machine, my wife gifted me this last night, she carried it all the way from Germany.

Does the works, coffee, espresso, capuccino (you can see the frother and milk pie etc) and latte macchiato and EVERYTHING.

So, the next time you come to my place, you KNOW what you're drinking.
Naa_ice!
Thats one good machine! must say!
Please check if it has run in period or stuff like that!

That is indeed the big daddy!

Merry X'mas

care,

Ace.
Old 25th December 2010, 11:14   #208
Senior - BHPian

Here is a video of the machine sam. Gosh its more complicated than driving!!

PS: The comments in the video is annoying at times
Old 25th December 2010, 12:39   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, as luck would have it, I was completely out of beans.

The beans we had, I had already crushed into powder. While this machine also accepted ground coffee, that was not the ideal circumstance.
I was able to buy EXCELLENT peaberry (from chikmaglur) from a shop called quality tea and coffee at Matunga.

Not only did they hand over an EXCELLENTLY packed kilo of super coffee beans (Rs. 290 per kilo) but I was very pleased with the response of the person on the telephone, he knew his coffee.

They have many branches across Mumbai and I write this while sipping on the best cappucino I've had in a long while.

They're present at Matunga, Borivali, Mahim, Kandivali and mulund. I recommend them highly.
Quality Tea & Coffee - Home

A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-p5220729.177194905_std.jpg
Old 25th December 2010, 12:57   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
i make the coffee like, take a coffee mug half filled with cold milk, put some sugar and nescafe, shake the contents with spoon, put the mug in micro, wait for 30 sec and i have hot coffee.:
But now, i should change the way i make the coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Thanks for sharing the info but where should i find good coffee beans? anyone in pune?
Quote:
Dukens Coffee, 636 Raviwar Peth, Pune, Near Railway Booking office. Telephone: 24458459

Quote:
What a wonderful discussion. I see the seasoned coffee drinkers sharing their experience with good coffee. What I'd like to see is the few guys (they are definitely not south indian) changing their coffee habits.
Half a mug of milk, sugar and nescafe in a microwave.
BLLEEEUUUGGGHHH!!!

I can say that now i am a coffee lover making the coffee with authentic way.

I buy the beans from Pune but now i am looking for better beans from south.

Do anyone know the the shop for coffee beans in Banglore so that i will buy the beans during my next visit to Bangy?

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks