Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 15:14   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
btw, in Hyderabad, freshly ground coffee is available in Ameerpet and R. P. Road Secunderabad.
Is it Nayyar's coffee in Dharam Karam road in Ameerpet? My wife picked freshly grounded coffee from a Coffee day Fresh n Ground store in Ameerpet. I am liking it. She picked 1/2 KG grounded coffee without chicory for Rs.150/-.

Fresh 'n Ground - Homepage
Old 10th October 2010, 15:21   #182
Team-BHP Support

No It was not on DK Road.
It was in the lane opposite Hotel Log Inn, Ameerpet Road.

Thanks for this new lead on DK Road.

So now we have 3 places in Hyderabad, 2 in Ameerpet and 1 in Secunderabad.

Since coffee once ground cannot be stored for long, I am picking up only 100 gms at a time.
Old 10th October 2010, 16:42   #183
Senior - BHPian

@Bblost - Well, you may want to make it like 2 X 250 gms & then store the other 250 gms in the refrigerator. We usually buy 250 X 2 every month (now 500 X 2) & refrigerate the other 250. The one kept outside for consumption looses its aroma in couple of weeks. When the next pack is opened, the aroma is felt again. Trust me it works
Old 10th October 2010, 20:04   #184
Team-BHP Support

aargee, I am the only coffee drinker in my house.

And I am still experimenting with different combinations to find the perfect cup.
Bru is definitely OUT.
100% coffee was nice.
I will try 90-10 and then 80-20.

When I find the right combination, will follow you advice but in 100*2 packs
Old 10th October 2010, 21:08   #185
Senior - BHPian

bblost
I think it is the same shop my wife picked coffee from. She said it is in the road opposite to Elephant house but she mentioned all coffeeday recipes when she called me from there.
Old 11th October 2010, 08:27   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I am still experimenting with different combinations to find the perfect cup.

Pls share the perfect combination to me as well; I've experimented once with 60% Coffee & 40% aroma & it was sour. Coffee without aroma is like yuck!!!

So everytime we follow 50-50 combination; though it tastes great for first one week but goes down after that until we open the next one. I'm thinking of 45% Coffee & 55% aroma next time.
Old 11th October 2010, 09:09   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pls share the perfect combination to me as well; I've experimented once with 60% Coffee & 40% aroma & it was sour. Coffee without aroma is like yuck!!!

So everytime we follow 50-50 combination; though it tastes great for first one week but goes down after that until we open the next one. I'm thinking of 45% Coffee & 55% aroma next time.
What does 55% or 40% aroma mean?
Old 11th October 2010, 17:50   #188
Senior - BHPian

I have been going around Hyd/Secb-Bad to find the right place to get the right coffee,finally I found salvation in the Fresh-n-Ground outlet at Trimulgherry opposite Acer Motors.The shop is in the basement.He gets fresh stock daily and the ideal combo is 60-40(atleast it works for me in terms of strength and aroma).

The way I do it,3 Tbsp to 4 Tbsp of coffee into the filter first.Pour boiling bubbling water into the filter and place the press on top of it.

The concoction filters down in around 15 minutes.Please note prior to the addition of the coffee powder,one needs to ensure that that the filters are bone dry,any moisture and the mixture just will not filter down.

I found that the packed coffee sold in the CCD outlets are pretty tasteless,wouldnt buyy them at all.!!
Old 11th October 2010, 19:44   #189
BHPian

Quote:
@Viraat - Freezer??? I really doubt if the beans would stay fresh. Reason being that the beans are dried up in the Sun & then roasted well before grinding. Keeping in freezer is fine, but when you take it out, wouldn't it result in increase in moisture content?
Yes freezer. But it works for me cause I take them out right from the freezer, fill up the grinder and put it back in! And the freshly ground coffee is brewed then and there. Hence it stays fresh. Hope it works for you too.

And also even the powder stays fresh if you take out as much as you need each time. So even if we stock up with say 500 grams of powder and beans, it stays fresh for quite some time.
Old 11th October 2010, 19:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bru is definitely OUT.
100% coffee was nice.

Bru (formerly green label) is yuck! 55% chicory, for God's sake! It is filter Chicory, blended with coffee.

100% coffee - flavour will be nice, but no strength (read color) in the brew.

85 : 15 (coffee : chicory) is the perfect blend. Available in Kothas. If you can get hold of it, nothing like it. But rarely available in Chennai. I normally source it from B'lore.

80 : 20 will be good. Available in Coorg (pan India) and Narasus udhayam (Chennai only, AFAIK). The above three brands are as good as what we can get from roast&grind shops. I always buy in 100 gram packs, even when I buy a Kilo.

Another OK brand is AVT 60:40 blend, despite the higher % of Chicory.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:37   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13
And also even the powder stays fresh if you take out as much as you need each time
Yeah, this is a good idea; will try implementing this through home ministers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
I found that the packed coffee sold in the CCD outlets are pretty tasteless,wouldnt buyy them at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
Bru (formerly green label) is yuck!
+1; Hahaha...couldn't agree more

@Gansan sir - so what's the ideal combination between peaberry & A when it comes to mixing? Any ideas? We got no luck with Narasus as we've plenty of Leo coffee outlets.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:17   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1; Hahaha...couldn't agree more

@Gansan sir - so what's the ideal combination between peaberry & A when it comes to mixing? Any ideas? We got no luck with Narasus as we've plenty of Leo coffee outlets.
My mother's favourite blend during the roast & grind days was 250 grams peaberry + 250 grams plantation (A, I suppose) + 100 grams chicory. The one that comes closest to this is Cotha's.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th October 2010 at 13:21.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:54   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My mother's favourite blend during the roast & grind days was 250 grams peaberry + 250 grams plantation (A, I suppose) + 100 grams chicory. The one that comes closest to this is Cotha's.
Are you saying Chicory is must huh? We do the 50% combination of Peaberry & A, but not the chicory. I'm under the impression that chicory is bad for health, I mean, worst than the Coffee itself. Isn't that true?
Old 12th October 2010, 14:07   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying Chicory is must huh? We do the 50% combination of Peaberry & A, but not the chicory. I'm under the impression that chicory is bad for health, I mean, worst than the Coffee itself. Isn't that true?
No, not a must, unless you want strength/color in the brew apart from flavor. It is an individual preference. I know many households who use pure coffee powder such as Leo. It is just that having drunk my mother's brew from childhood, flavour alone is not sufficient for me!

There are no known ill effects for Chicory. Coffee is not a health drink to begin with any way!

Chicory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12th October 2010, 17:33   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, this is a good idea; will try implementing this through home ministers

...ideal combination between peaberry & A when it comes to mixing?

Good luck! At best it will work like a charm like it does for me and at worst you'll go back to your old system (which is? I have no idea how coffee is stored otherwise!)

I am assuming A stands for Arabica? Isn't pea berry the same as Arabica? I use pure pea berry. 75% normal roast & 25% dark roast. I feel it gives the strongest flavor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks