Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 10:46   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
A civet cat is not really a cat - i.e. it's not from the cat family. Actually it's not even a monkey. It's a seperate family of mammals. It sort of looks like a cross between a monkey & a cat.
+1 to that. Its more like a mongoose.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:55   #62
BHPian

civet cat

Murthy
Old 11th July 2010, 11:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!

coffee to civet cat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
What I do is, take a glass of milk , add two spoons sugar, 0.7th of a spoon of instant coffee, and boil it in winters, or put it in a blender in summers.
Similarly, i make the coffee like, take a coffee mug half filled with cold milk, put some sugar and nescafe, shake the contents with spoon, put the mug in micro, wait for 30 sec and i have hot coffee.:

But now, i should change the way i make the coffee.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 11th July 2010 at 11:13.
Old 11th July 2010, 11:33   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I respectfully disagree here. Fresh Ground Coffee is mostly a marketing gimmick. When the coffee was ground isn't half as important as when the coffee was roasted.
Looks like I wasn't fully correct - I read a little more. Both roasting date & grinding date are important. However, grinding date is relevant only for a few hours to one day. i.e. the fresh taste of freshly ground coffee lasts only for a few hours to max one day. Past the one day, it doesn't make much difference. i.e. best to grind everyday for the days need.

Some coffee links.

Coffee FAQ
Coffee FAQ | Coffee and Caffeine FAQ
Old 11th July 2010, 12:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I don't ever heat or boil the milk in the tetrapak. I just make my coffee and add some (very little) cold milk from the box. Brings the coffee down a degree or two. Perfect for drinking.
Sam, the consistency of the coffee that comes out of the French press you have shown, and what comes from the filter shown by bblost will be completely different. The first is black coffee ready to drink, either neat or with a little milk. But the second one is concentrated "decoction" which will be too strong to drink directly. It has to be mixed with very hot milk, usually in the ratio of 20:80 (coffee:milk). We use a similar filter at our home, and 6 - 7 teaspoonfuls of coffee powder will go in to it for each preparation, but the amount of boiling water that goes in will be about 100 - 150 ML at the most. Serves 3 people or at the most 4.

Indian filter coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Gansan : 11th July 2010 at 12:19.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Would like to add my tiny knowledge on Coffee here.
The coffee beans are available in several varieties & can be classified under taste & aroma. The ones that tastes good is actually damn sour & cannot be consumed even half a glass. Probably these are the espresso types that we take in shots. The next variety is aroma that I've not consumed & hence cannot comment on the taste, but it primarily provides smell to coffee.

It is the combination of both these types of beans that makes the perfect blend. We get our coffee powder grinded from this place, who're well reknowned for several years in Chennai. They have this two types classified for taste & aroma & the taste is called peaberry & the aroma are classified under "A" & "B". So a combination of peaberry+A or peberry+B gives the blend of good coffee. Trust me, after we were fed up with the brands and hence switched over to these guys. Though its a headache, like its being mentioned, we're big fans for good coffee.

As I understand, its not that easy to get the right mix. Reason? We get a 50% mix on both taste & aroma, but after about 1 to 2 weeks, we see the taste going down & after a week or so the aroma also goes down. We tried another combination of 60% coffee & 40% aroma & found the coffee to be tasting very sour; next time we did the other way & found the coffee smells like crazy but the taste? Nothing closer. So eventually we settled for 50-50 now.

The next item that can be mixed is Chicory; the chicory is another aroma ingridient that also adds a little thickness to the coffee, atleast that's what I heard. Since we do not mix chicory, we don't know the effectiveness.

Last edited by aargee : 11th July 2010 at 12:42.
Old 11th July 2010, 13:04   #67
BHPian

Guys, wll this machine help me making filter coffee?

eBay India: Black & Decker DCM15 1 Cup Coffee Maker (item 290451061448 end time 11-Jul-2010 13:44:25 IST)
Old 11th July 2010, 14:33   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
It's a drip coffee maker. Drip Coffee is also called Filter Coffee, however it's not the same as the Indian filter coffee.

This is what you need to make the Indian Filter Coffee -> Fileisassembled South Indian coffee filter.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, both these methods are pretty similiar except that the Indian filter coffee is a lot more concentrated than the regular drip coffee.

Also, instead of Black & Decker, you could go for the Prestige brand - you will get a Prestige Drip Coffee Maker for 1000 odd, I think & the capacity is more than the 1-cup Black & Decker. For the Prestige brand, you will need to shop at the Mom-n-Pop Kitchen Steel Emporium kind of shops rather than the mall shops.

Last edited by carboy : 11th July 2010 at 14:35.
Old 11th July 2010, 14:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
Guys, wll this machine help me making filter coffee?
Perhaps you may try any of this; dont know what exactly you are planning to concoct though..
Morphy Richards India - Coffee Makers

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th July 2010 at 14:53.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:30   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

What a wonderful discussion. I see the seasoned coffee drinkers sharing their experience with good coffee. What I'd like to see is the few guys (they are definitely not south indian) changing their coffee habits.
Half a mug of milk, sugar and nescafe in a microwave.

BLLEEEUUUGGGHHH!!!

Hahahaha.
Old 11th July 2010, 22:19   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow. This one goes into my bookmarks.

What I do is, take a glass of milk (yeah, I'm a Punjabi, you caught me), add two spoons sugar, 0.7th of a spoon of instant coffee, and boil it in winters, or put it in a blender in summers. It's somewhat like a latte, but when I tried one at CCD, it was kindda different.

So, is the coffee being talked about here bitter than my concoction ? How different does it taste ?
For tea, you heat water, add tea powder, continue heating then add milk. Bring to a boil. Ratio of water:milk is 75:25.

You never boil coffee powder.

My instant coffee recipe.
Instant coffee powder. Any brand. I prefer Bru. Don't like Sunrise. Nescafe is acceptable.

I put in about 3/4 teaspoon in a dry cup.
Add some sugar.
Add lukewarm water during winters. In summer just plain room temperature water.

Then I spin the cup slowly. Very slowly. So that the coffee dissolves in the water. The sugar will stay as it it.

I prefer no more than 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.

Meanwhile I get heat the milk. One the milk is hot enough. I pour it into the cup. Ration milk:water is 75:25.

Then I pour the entire liquid back into the milk pan keeping as much distance as I can between the two.
Pour it back into the cup keeping it close to the pan.
Repeat till sugar is dissolved. This will ensure a nice froth on the top of your cup.

If you want to make the coffee special. Take some milk in a different cup. Make it froth by doing the cup-sauce pan thing. Then using a spoon slowly add it to the top of your coffee froth. You can write the initial of the person you are serving it too.

My family used to love this initial thing.

Last edited by bblost : 11th July 2010 at 22:21.
Old 12th July 2010, 05:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
For tea, you heat water, add tea powder, continue heating then add milk. Bring to a boil. Ratio of water:milk is 75:25.

You never boil coffee powder.....

.....My family used to love this initial thing.
That sounds like a lot of work. Will try it though. I'm just a little wary of replacing the milk in my beverages with water.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That sounds like a lot of work. Will try it though. I'm just a little wary of replacing the milk in my beverages with water.
Tea is made differently depends on if it is tea bags, tea powder or tea leaves. Tea bags are best when put in hot water (about 90C) for a couple of minutes. Don't put them in milk or try to squeeze them. Tea powder need to be added to boiling water and the flame must be switched off immediately. Let it soak for some time and then filter it into a cup. Tea leaves need to be boiled for a minutes before filtering. In all cases, milk and water should be in the ratio of 25:75. I prefer black tea though...

Reminder: Never add tea bag/leaves/powder in milk.

Last edited by vasoo : 12th July 2010 at 12:11.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

How come coffee in a bag (similar to tea bag) does not exist (or I dont know of).

There is nothing like a strong cup of filter kaapi in the morning.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How come coffee in a bag (similar to tea bag) does not exist (or I dont know of).

There is nothing like a strong cup of filter kaapi in the morning.
You get coffee sachets abroad. These sachets are used in coffee machines. It is places in a small filter and boiling water gets poured over it which seeps to the container or cup below. Not seen this available in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks