Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 11:38   #166
BHPian

Of course Sirgee. Punjabis are good at only makhan and paneer. And chicken, probably.

So I had to make do with whatever's available. I wouldn't have got even this stuff in Patiala had it not been for CCD.

Last edited by anku94 : 14th September 2010 at 11:40.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:07   #167
AWD
BHPian

Coffee malkers are available freely & abundantly across Punjab.

Coffee beans could be a little difficult to procure from some parts but some good bakeries, shops could get them arranged on order.

Last edited by AWD : 14th September 2010 at 12:17.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:12   #168
Senior - BHPian

@AWD - Anku is talking about the availability of Coffee bean & not the Coffee maker I guess. I too meant about the Coffee beans & not the Coffee maker. Hence he said, he's limited to buying Coffee powder from CCD.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:46   #169
BHPian

I got hold of roasted coffee beans at Indian Coffee House, Kolkata (outlet of Indian Coffee Board). I was told that the beans are Arabiccah. But I'm not fully satisfied with the results. I tried different granules sizes. Maybe the beans were not that fresh. The CCD Arabiccah was better at almost same price.

However, anybody tried their Morning Java - is it worth trying? Also, if you are buying from CCD - buy it online. If you buy through their store they will charge service tax extra. Whereas you can get it delivered to your home at no extra charge.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:12   #170
BHPian

@ To somebody who spoke of Kopi Luwak: Have you watched THE BUCKET LIST. I was laughing my guts out watching Jack N.

@SAM KAPASI: Did not figure that a Guy with Bob Marley on his T Shirt and a Tattoo on his leg is a Coffee Pro.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:15   #171
Senior - BHPian

Meh, nothing beats the awesome south indian coffee decotion! Seriously addictive!

Mylapore is full of small coffee bean shops and the streets are engulfed in the wonderful aroma of roasting coffee beans *bliss*!! Chennai-ites will know what I mean.

Right know I have this craze for cold coffee - and need to have one glass daily to function properly.

First I prepare the decotion as explained by many posts here. Put it in the fridge. In the evening I put about two teaspoons of sugar in a glass and add some decotion - mix vigorously. Then add cold milk bit by bit while mixing till the glass is full! Enjoy!!

Old 14th September 2010, 20:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
First I prepare the decotion as explained by many posts here. Put it in the fridge. In the evening I put about two teaspoons of sugar in a glass and add some decotion - mix vigorously. Then add cold milk bit by bit while mixing till the glass is full! Enjoy!!

Sounds interesting. Gotta try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Coffee malkers are available freely & abundantly across Punjab.

Coffee beans could be a little difficult to procure from some parts but some good bakeries, shops could get them arranged on order.
Coffee maker is not a problem. The beans are. You should see the looks on shopkeepers' faces when I ask them if they have coffee beans.

Last edited by anku94 : 14th September 2010 at 20:16.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:52   #173
BHPian

tradational filter coffee

hi. since we grow and sell coffee beans ( both arabica and robusta), and also we run a fine coffee shop in mysore, the best filter coffee can be prepared like this
A.100 % pure coffee
1. using beans : buy only arabica beans. this is almost three times costlier than robusta. if you buy roasted ones, chances are there can be a blend of both, and since colour will be almost the same, you cannot identify.
2. roast the beans on a pan under very low heat, till the beans turn dark brown.constantly stirring the beans for a even roast. this could take about 15 min.
3. allow the beans to cool naturally.
4. you can powder it in a mixer ( this will generate the heat and could alter flavour) or a small hand grinder ( with a handle to rotate, usually fixed to table tops) and make a coarse ( not fine) powder.
making coffee espresso:
for a typical 150 ml coffee ( ready to drink)
1. coffee powder: 15 gms
2. water : 60 ml
add coffee powder to normal coffee maker ( philips etc) and add 60 ml of water to the machine.
3. water steams and will fall over the powder to get a 30 ml espresso.
4. sugar: you can dissolve sugar directly to milk ( 40 gm per 500ml) and boil the milk or you can stirr the sugar directly to espresso ( 2 tsp max for 30 ml)
5. pour the espresso to the serving glass and add the milk to the brim of it.
6. enjoy!
B. classic filter coffee with ready powder ( mix of chicory)
BEST BRAND: COTHAS Coffee powder - premium home blend. 85% arabica- 15% chicory.
procedure: is the same as listed above.
you will get amazing coffee.
you can try such coffees in bangalore at
1. halli mane hotel ( malleshwaram)
2. KSRTC bus stand ( main - near yatri guest house)
3. south indies
Old 16th September 2010, 16:17   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Sounds interesting. Gotta try this.
Try it out and tell me what you think of it!

I love it!
Old 17th September 2010, 12:09   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Try it out and tell me what you think of it!

I love it!
Just made it. And wow, it's miles better than Nescafe+Milk+Sugar+Drinking Chocolate blended.

I'm lovin' it.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:25   #176
Senior - BHPian

Long ago, when we (my siblings and me) used to have plenty of time at hand and energy to spare, we used to drink coffee after "beating" it. Used to get nice frothy coffee. This article describes the process:
How to beat cappuccino coffee | eHow.com
Old 6th October 2010, 16:31   #177
BHPian

Hmm! Interesting thread. Not read through all of it though because its not something new for me. My dad is quite the coffee fanatic.
If anyone needs a good place to buy roasted coffee beans in Delhi let me know. I know a good place in Lodhi Colony that sells beans that are far better than what is available at CCD.
Also one way of keeping beans fresh is to keep them in the freezer. The aroma is retained really well even if you grind it and keep it.
Happy coffee-ing! :-)
Old 9th October 2010, 23:07   #178
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow morning i am going brew my coffee for the first time. My wife brought home grinded coffee powder from those Coffee day shops where they grind beans before you and sell it. Already have a french press at home.

Though my wife hates smell of a coffee, she wishes to make nice coffee for me.
Old 10th October 2010, 11:10   #179
Senior - BHPian

@Viraat - Freezer??? I really doubt if the beans would stay fresh. Reason being that the beans are dried up in the Sun & then roasted well before grinding. Keeping in freezer is fine, but when you take it out, wouldn't it result in increase in moisture content?

But if you meant stocking the coffee powder, then its ok.
Old 10th October 2010, 14:41   #180
Team-BHP Support

Why is there such a big difference in the time it takes Bru(60-40) and coffee(100%)to drip down in a traditional filter?

Bru used to take 15 mins.
Peaberry 100% Coffee takes almost an hour.

btw, in Hyderabad, freshly ground coffee is available in Ameerpet and R. P. Road Secunderabad.
You can also choose the amount of Coffee-Chicory mix.
100gms Peaberry costs about Rs 36.

I will try a 90-10 next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks