Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 13:28   #211
BANNED

Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I buy the beans from Pune but now i am looking for better beans from south.

Kumardhara Coffee in Aundh (near Gaekwad Petrol Pump) has good coffee beans. They also have an outlet somewhere in the city, but I don't know where that is.

There is a also a Coffee Seller on Aundh Road near Ambedkar Chowk, but I haven't ever bought from there, nor do I remember the name.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:56   #212
BHPian

Wow Sam. A Merry Christmas it is.
If I was gifted such a sexy machine, I would keep it in my room in the center in a glass case and stare at it all day with a cup of extra hot triple shot latte.
I used to use this kind of machine when I was in the US and God knows how much I liked to get up in the morning and head to the machine before opening my eyes. And the first cup of coffee of the day.. WOW.
Old 25th December 2010, 14:52   #213
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
They're present at Matunga, Borivali, Mahim, Kandivali and mulund. I recommend them highly.
Quality Tea & Coffee - Home
I have tried the Mulund store - coffee is good, but they aren't helpful. I wanted the coffee ground rough instead of smooth - they weren't willing to do that.
Old 25th December 2010, 16:46   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have tried the Mulund store - coffee is good, but they aren't helpful. I wanted the coffee ground rough instead of smooth - they weren't willing to do that.
where is this place in mulund?

i got a small packet from madras cafe in matunga , liked it better than the south indian gen. store coffee , but the powder is too fine and I find some of it in my cup using a french press.
Old 25th December 2010, 18:15   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
I wanted the coffee ground rough instead of smooth - they weren't willing to do that
But why do you ask them to grind it? But half a kilo and grind it thoda-thoda karke, say once in 3 or 4 days. It isn't messy and the aroma in the house is awesome. And the coffee remains fresher. And you can grind it to the consistency you want.

All you need is the chota masala jar on a mixie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
i got a small packet from madras cafe in matunga , liked it better than the south indian gen. store coffee , but the powder is too fine and I find some of it in my cup using a french press.
True. Actually they don't grind it for a french press, they grind it for a madras decoction. And I concur, too fine in a french press passes through and does taste a bit icky.

That's why I recommend buying beans and putting them in a masala grinder if you want to use the French Press.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 25th December 2010 at 18:20.
Old 25th December 2010, 21:11   #216
BANNED

Quote:
But why do you ask them to grind it? But half a kilo and grind it thoda-thoda karke, say once in 3 or 4 days. It isn't messy and the aroma in the house is awesome. And the coffee remains fresher. And you can grind it to the consistency you want.
All you need is the chota masala jar on a mixie.
I think I will do this - Haven't done it for many years though.

I actually have a small coffee grinder, though it's a 120 V one & not 220V. My microwave anyway runs on a step-down transformer, so may be I will just plug it to the same transformer & do this.

Quote:
True. Actually they don't grind it for a french press, they grind it for a madras decoction. And I concur, too fine in a french press passes through and does taste a bit icky.

That's why I recommend buying beans and putting them in a masala grinder if you want to use the French Press.
Too fine isn't also good for a drip machine also, which is what I use. I prefer drip coffee with sweetener & no milk. I think coffee taste gets lost once you add the milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
where is this place in mulund?
You can get coffee in Mulund at
- Quality Coffee & Tea(the one same one Sam went to in Matunga) - this is very close to Mulund Station West on RRT Road
- There is another place close to the station which roasts - this is on road which comes from Mehul Cinema towards the station. After you pass ICICI Bank, on the right, this store is there - I forgot the name. The store isn't visible from the street (though there is a board I think) - it's in between the bank & the station.
- You can get pre-packed Mysore Concerns Chicory Mix which is fairly decent - you can get at Adhiganesh which is again on the same road as Mehul to station. You can also get it Jeba Traders on PK Road.
- Coffee Day at Nirmal Lifestyle - their stock was a couple of months old when I bought it during an emergency few weeks back.

Last edited by carboy : 25th December 2010 at 21:16.
Old 25th December 2010, 21:20   #217
BHPian

I don't know how to make good coffee at home, but
in the present bangalore weather, filter coffee has its own fun,but this is no less and like they say a picture speaks a thousand words
Life is good!(just the girl who's supposed to share this coffee is missing..search is on!)
Attached Thumbnails
A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-005.jpg  

Old 25th December 2010, 21:29   #218
BHPian

Please tell me how to exactly make coffee using "madras decoction thingie"
I always mess it up.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:10   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Please tell me how to exactly make coffee using "madras decoction thingie"
I always mess it up.
I'd love to see some south indian inputs here. I too have a decoction dabba but have never used it.

Though I'm guessing now with my new Jura, I probably never will, lol. But it's good to know.
Old 26th December 2010, 02:18   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Though I'm guessing now with my new Jura, I probably never will, lol. But it's good to know.
Just checked the Jura site, and the prices there had more digits than I'd be comfortable with.

Can we have a review ?
Old 31st December 2010, 16:04   #221
BHPian

Quote:
I'd love to see some south indian inputs here. I too have a decoction dabba but have never used it.

This is the process for some good South indian "Degree coffee"

1. For an average sized filter, drop about 2-3 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee (i personally prefer a 85-15 or a 90-10 mixture of coffee and chicory) into the upper half.

2. Boil water and add about 2 cups of water
(dont worry about adding too much water, it doesnt dilute the mixture unless u plan to leave it for a long time!)

3. Wait until a sufficient quantity of decotion has dripped through (about half a cup of it)

4. Parallely, boil some milk (personally, i think Goodlife and other tetra-pack milk spoil the taste of coffee)

(by the time you have boiled the milk, you should have a sufficient quantity of decotion)

5. To half a cup of boiled milk, add the fresh decotion (ratio depending on how 'strong' you like your coffee - my preference is about 1:1 of milk and coffee)

6. Add sugar to taste (personal preference, half a teaspoon)

7. Mix the coffee from one cup to another (or from the tumbler to the 'dabara' - as they are called) until the sugar is dissolved and you have a consistent layer of lather on the top

8. Enjoy the coffee

Note: Do not mix too much as the coffee would get too cold.

Also, it is never advised to re-heat coffee mixed with milk. If you really have to, make sure you heat on a low flame and do NOT let it boil. Coffee, unlike Tea, is terrible if it is boiled.

- My two cents on coffee... comments welcome
Old 31st December 2010, 17:06   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr77k View Post
This is the process for some good South indian "Degree coffee"

1. For an average sized filter, drop about 2-3 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee (i personally prefer a 85-15 or a 90-10 mixture of coffee and chicory) into the upper half.

2. Boil water and add about 2 cups of water
(dont worry about adding too much water, it doesnt dilute the mixture unless u plan to leave it for a long time!)
The required quantity of powder will be 2 teaspoons - not very level, but a bit heaped - per person. My wife puts in 6 - 7 spoonfuls of powder and adds ~ 150 ml of boiling water for three persons. There will be a tamper like thing with holes in the bottom - this should be placed on the powder, but without pressing hard, before the hot water is poured, to avoid disturbing the powder. Also, the powder should not be ground very fine but a little coarse.
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:08   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The required quantity of powder will be 2 teaspoons - not very level, but a bit heaped - per person. My wife puts in 6 - 7 spoonfuls of powder and adds ~ 150 ml of boiling water for three persons. There will be a tamper like thing with holes in the bottom - this should be placed on the powder, but without pressing hard, before the hot water is poured, to avoid disturbing the powder. Also, the powder should not be ground very fine but a little coarse.

The tamper-like thing is pretty common with the bigger sized filters. Smaller sized ones do not have one.
Very true, a fine powder can filter through to the lower chamber and can be very irritating as you might get some of it with you. A little course would be better

By the way, i tried the French Press last weekend at a coffee day in Bangalore and absolutely loved it. Its simple and very effective in making excellent coffee in a very short time.

I am going to get one for myself soon, hunting for a good quality one. If anybody knows where i can get a good quality French Press in Bangalore, please let me know. Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 14:33   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

People from Mumbai - I was pleasantly surprised to find a proper coffee bean counter in Hypercity - Malad. Coffees ranging from Rs.400 to Rs. 2000 a kilo, Indian and imported.

Worth a dekko.

Quote:
Can we have a review ?
I don't know how to review it. It's the best thing that ever happened to my kitchen.

Do you know what we drink in the morning?

A good latte macchiato. A real one.

A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-latte-macchiato.jpg

This photo was taken by Rudra while he was visiting.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 4th January 2011 at 14:36.
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:38   #225
BHPian

Kapasi sir introduced me to coffee. I have tried different brands and finally settled on DARK FOREST from cafe coffeday. I was on the lookout for a good coffeemaker. Couldn't get my hands on one. The decided to start from basics. Purchased a cheap one from Koryo big bazaar. 800 bucks only. Don't know how to rate it. It's filter was allowing some sediments to come to the coffee. Flavor was okay. Then the carafe developed a crack. My mistake actually. Poured cold water on hot carafe.
Now I am going to purchase MorphyRichards programmable type. Cost around 4400. From ebay. Let me see how this one will behave.
Guys let us revive this thread again with some more experiences. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks