Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 15:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
8. itni garmi mein jacket, helmet aur gloves!! pagal ho gaye ho (in this kind of hot weather you are wearing jacket, helmet and gloves - you must have gone mad!!)
9. helmet pehnoge to ladkiya dekhengi kaise?? (if you wear a helmet how will the gals see you??)
10. saved the best for the last - gas ki tanki kaha rakhoge?? (where will you put your domestic gas cylinder?)
these 3 are real life problems
Old 19th July 2010, 15:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
This point originated from fuel consumption. Now with engine OFF, where is the question of fuel consumption? Where is the question of torque?

I never denied it, gentleman.
How do you suppose battery gets charged ? Your fuel is consumed to run engine which runs alternator which charges battery.
Battery is just a reservoir , Now that flickering indicates peak load (current drawn at the thump of music) being higher then the peak current battery can provide.
But when engine is running as the alternator runs at 13.4 volts first it will be loaded and then when it goes to max capacity and voltage drops below 12 battery will be drained.

That flickering was illustrative to drive the point that music system does put a load.
Your battery and alternator gets this energy from engine which in turn burns fuel.
When engine is not running battery provides current but that is actually from engine during previous running cycle so on an average still fuel consumption is higher as battery needs to be charged again in the next run.

So in all music system's load results in fuel consumption.

@allajunaki : Perfect explanation mate. That resistance to rotation due to magnatic field is the lenz law which every one studies in 12th standard and also this is inline with law of conservation of energy, More work required to turn shaft means more load on engine.

Last edited by amitk26 : 19th July 2010 at 15:46.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:44   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
How do you suppose battery gets charged ? Your fuel is consumed to run engine which runs alternator which charges battery.
Battery is just a reservoir.
We are talking of torque here, while the engine is turned OFF.

Try to understand what I am saying, the alternator SHOULD NOT and MUST NOT consume ADDITIONAL power because of loading with basic electrical applications.

Less than ADDITIONAL doesn't mean ZERO.

When OEM designs a car and ARAI (in India) certifies its mileage, it has taken into consideration the basic power required to turn that alternator.

The End

Last edited by prateek99 : 19th July 2010 at 15:48.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:49   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Try to understand what I am saying, the alternator SHOULD NOT and MUST NOT consume ADDITIONAL power because of loading with basic electrical applications.

The End
Read the last reply again for the point in bold , I understand You may like to wish that alternators SHOULD NOT AND MUST NOT COUSUME ADDITIONAL POWER,
but SADLY IT DOES TO OBEY BASIC LAWS OF PHYSICS
Old 19th July 2010, 15:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
9. helmet pehnoge to ladkiya dekhengi kaise?? (if you wear a helmet how will the gals see you??)
This is a classic ? that' been around since the 100cc days: AX100, RX100, CD100, KB100 era.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:57   #111
BHPian

A Few years back..I was training a guy from next doorhow to drive.
While driving all of a sudden he took the car off road. I asked him what happened dude?
He said " You see there is a truck coming in our direction".

When I checked the truck was almost half a kilometer away from us.
That was the last time, I helped someone to learn how to drive!!
Old 19th July 2010, 16:00   #112
BHPian

Quote:

My point;
the alternator SHOULD NOT and MUST NOT consume ADDITIONAL power because of loading with basic electrical applications.

When OEM designs a car and ARAI (in India) certifies its mileage, it has taken into consideration the basic power required to turn that alternator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Read the last reply again for the point in bold , I understand You may like to wish that alternators SHOULD NOT AND MUST NOT COUSUME ADDITIONAL POWER,
but SADLY IT DOES TO OBEY BASIC LAWS OF PHYSICS
My point in bold. You missed the gist, dude.

Last edited by prateek99 : 19th July 2010 at 16:06.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:11   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post
Now this one takes the cake! Are you sure he wasn't kidding? If he wasn't then i am really worried with the selection process at IITs . Agreed he is in first year but atleast this basic knowledge is expected from a guy in college(having passed high school) , let alone one in IIT!
A candidate is selected in IIT (or any other engineering institute) based on his knowledge of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.

A person can have zero general knowledge, but can still get selected in engineering and may turn out to be good engineer as well.

Rohan
Old 19th July 2010, 16:16   #114
Senior - BHPian

@Prateek
Check the Alto of any of your friends. Idle the car with all equipments off. Then switch on the parking lights alone. The rpm will increase audibly. Now switch on the head lights,again there will be a difference. Ditto when the radiator fan starts to run or the blower/AC is switched on.

ARAI certification figures may have factored in these loads on the engine. But if all these things are off, the car may return even better mileage. I have obtained 24+ KMPL figures under the most favourable conditions when no electrical appliance was on except the radio. This is not an ARAI certified figure for sure!
Old 19th July 2010, 16:52   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
A candidate is selected in IIT (or any other engineering institute) based on his knowledge of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.

A person can have zero general knowledge, but can still get selected in engineering and may turn out to be good engineer as well.

Rohan

Way - but I disagree with the above.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:58   #116
Senior - BHPian

Well then the IIT guy must be under the assumption that the engine is the same, choice is on the fuel depending upon the required performance.

@ Alternator issue: it depends on the torque available at idling rpm.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of people still consider Amby as the benchmark in ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is, if you sit in the back seat!
Hmm.. it is because half of Amby's shock absorbing happens in the seat cushion's springs. that's why the seats are comfy.

But I would disagree in the benchmark part - do you still feel it is a benchmark on ride quality?

Last time when I had a long ride in an Amby's backseat, I got terrible back pain - due to the unevenness of the seat from sides to center.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th July 2010 at 17:03.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:11   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
Sir, If I remember correctly, standard 8th had a chapter about the petrol and diesel engines working and the 2-4 strokes working. How can an IIT guy assume that an engine will run irrespective of the fuel being fed..!
Old 19th July 2010, 17:34   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Well then the IIT guy must be under the assumption that the engine is the same, choice is on the fuel depending upon the required performance.
must be a computer engineering student and would have just learnt about object oriented programming and polymorphism
Old 19th July 2010, 20:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

Ok, me and my friend are cruising in my safari.
And from no where a black Safari ( very good looking one) zooms past us.
My friend asks me to chase the speeding SUV down, which I resist. He wonders what was in that Safari that it could attain such speeds while I could not in my car.

Later we catch up with the black thing at the toll plaza. My friend has a good look at the exterior of the vehicle. And then it happened.
He yelled its a 4X4! His out-of-this-world logic being that because that Safari was a 4X4, the engine was able to transmit power to all 4 wheels at the same time and hence causing the vehicle to attain astronomical amount of speeds.

Most Viewed