Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Is it so difficult to live without cell phones?

We all know that cell phones have become an indispensable part of our lives.

Everyday we see people talking on the cell phones jay walking in the middle of road, talking and riding their bikes, talking and driving cars, talking and standing in the middle of the pathway in a mall, talking loudly in places of worship/hospitals/theatres etc.

Over these last few days, whatever I am seeing is just getting worse.

In my office toilet, I have seen people come in talking on the cell phone and do the small job and walk out without even washing their hands. yuck!! One hand handling the cell phone and other for ... you all know what.

Yesterday, I go into the toilet and I thought I was the only one and all of a sudden, I hear someone say something. I look around and see nobody and then I realize that someone is behind closed door toilet doing the big job as well as talking on the cell phone.

Is it really so hard to live without cell phones even for couple of minutes?
Old 21st July 2010, 11:16   #2
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2010 at 10:08.
deadman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st July 2010, 11:24   #3
BHPian

It isnt impossible but as deadman said, we would need to practice restricting ourselves to desk phones! When I had worked for a UK bank, no mobile phones were allowed even for the development teams. Initially it was difficult, but then I got used to it.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
We all know that cell phones have become an indispensable part of our lives.

Everyday we see people talking on the cell phones jay walking in the middle of road, talking and riding their bikes, talking and driving cars, talking and standing in the middle of the pathway in a mall, talking loudly in places of worship/hospitals/theatres etc.

Over these last few days, whatever I am seeing is just getting worse.

In my office toilet, I have seen people come in talking on the cell phone and do the small job and walk out without even washing their hands. yuck!! One hand handling the cell phone and other for ... you all know what.

Yesterday, I go into the toilet and I thought I was the only one and all of a sudden, I hear someone say something. I look around and see nobody and then I realize that someone is behind closed door toilet doing the big job as well as talking on the cell phone.

Is it really so hard to live without cell phones even for couple of minutes?
The cell phone has become a boon as well as a bane today. It has brought world nearer but at the same time had introduced so many hazards. Even I have encountered so many office colleague taking a leak with a cell phone balancing act. Can some one not excuse himself for a few minutes to atleast take a pee in peace. I guess multitasking with cellphone has become the order of the day.
The worst case is drivers talking on cell phones and forgetting the traffic rules, endangeraing themselves as well as others when driving. This has become a dangerous habit. Have we not see bikers with twisted faces and driving while talking on phones.
I make it a point to switch of mobile phone when driving and after I retired for the day.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Well, in the present scenario it may be impossible to live without a cell phone for many, but not every one. It is a great blessing if used with discretion & civic virtue.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:48   #6
BHPian

well humans survived without any mode of communication so far and can still survive going forward. Its in our nature to exploit any new thing and use it for all the other purposes other than the one it actually was build in the first place. Cell phone was made for communication, however its no a gadget and we (including me ) use it for all the other purpose most of the time.
At times i hate my phone so much that i wish we never had one. You just cant get any peace of mind. To add to it the unnecessary calls(e.g marketing calls) which we never want but still have to bear it since we own a cell phone. Solution: i have now stopped picking any unidentified numbers

So its not difficult to live without a cellphone, but yes would than make it difficult to communicate. Just like emails, how many of us today still use an inland letter or have visited post office recently ??
Old 21st July 2010, 11:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Very easy for me; Though we have two of them, we hardly use them, instead, we use it for necessity during travel or away from home. The best way to cut the usage of phone is to use it very less & thus less addicted to mobile or even land phone. Having said that, I cannot live without internet!!!
Old 21st July 2010, 11:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is not that difficult to live without mobile phones. Just need to get used to it.

In fact these days I shut off my phone as soon as I leave office.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:04   #9
BANNED

It's just a bad habit from the cell phone users and as bad habits go they are difficult to shake off.

Indians like distractions, so what better than a mobile
Old 21st July 2010, 12:12   #10
BHPian

It is not difficult, Im now trying to reduce the usage after a peak usage last year. An extension could be the data usage on mobiles that we have got so used to now, even more than using it as a phone!

In fact I find it very annoying when people get so engrossed in their conversation whilst in a public place and keep walking, at times crossing the roads at intersections or walking in the middle with their back to the oncoming traffic.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Its very difficult. Basic tasks like telling the time and waking up on time become impossible without a cell phone
Old 21st July 2010, 12:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I make it a point to switch of mobile phone when driving and after I retired for the day.
Me too. I use 2 SIM cards. One is switched off the moment i enter home, unless of course there is some emergency at office.
and no one except close friends and family know my other number.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:32   #13
BHPian

I used to be on mobile most of times previously. I can say I got addicted to my imate. I got some comments from my boss too. Don't know how but gradually my usage of phones got reduced. I am observing that I am a more happy person without a mobile. Now it is a daily routine that I forget my cell phone in the car and then go for it at lunch time.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have to admit this:

I hate taking calls during the big and the small break. That's one area where I would love to have some time for myself.

I always wanted a phone in my college days and got it only in my final year. I am happy that I didn't get it early. Also, I remember the day when I broke my phone and didn't buy it for the next 10 days. One of the most peaceful days of my life.

PS: Although I do not switch off my phone, it is always on silent mode allowing me to "miss calls" and also avoid getting into any possible embarrassing situation (specially in the loo!)
Old 21st July 2010, 15:32   #15
BHPian

I got a call from the Business Development Mgr on my mobile (after she asked for my no. over email) this morning and the first thing she asked was why was my mobile number not in the company directory! It's kind of taken for granted! My mobile phone, it's personal and I do not want more than 100,000 colleagues to know it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks