Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Mr. E trust a stranger blindly. Getting him home with GF and all is a little over the top. But I like such people who are clean hearted and love to have fun. trust is a little expensive in the market.
Well said. Its hard these days to come by people who are good at heart.

I am an avid couchsrfer and host complete strangers in my house. Some stay for days and some even longer. We part as friends for life. Yet, its always best to be smart, street smart.

I am not cautious and dig into detail of the people I host, I know its bad. Still...
Old 24th July 2010, 18:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey man thats a very serious case.
are they both member on tbp too. if yes please name the culprit. PM our moderator.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

OMG !!! this is really scary, thanks a lot for sharing. Never thought something like this can happen. Have to be extra careful. Really feel sorry about your friend :( , i know it would be really hard to come out of something like this. How did the other guy communicated ? can't he be traced thru' email, phone no etc ? i know it won't be easy but we can try.

EDIT: i think we should also start a thread on techenclave so people know about this, i am not posting there i feel OP can decide better.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 24th July 2010 at 19:06.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

People all over including some of my own friends were cribbing about tbhp entrance test.

Well we can now be proud of our stringent entry procedure.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:33   #20
BHPian

People just take public forums for granted. They are so indulged that they think everyone is their friend.... everyone has to be cautious.

The mistake lies in the part of Mr. E. How can he trust a new person...it is gods grace that he learnt the lesson the good way.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:45   #21
lsp
BHPian

Sad to hear about Mr E's incident.

The world is full of all sorts of people, both good & bad. I know of 2 couples who met online on a social networking site & later got married. On the other hand there are people who are out there to cheat others. The onus of checking the credibility of the other person lies with us, before we choose to invite someone to our house, office, offer test drive etc. The acts of these cheats forces everyone not to trust people blindly.

My uncle (mama) was offered biscuits by his co passenger in a state transport bus, which he accepted only to wake up later to find all his belongings gone. Be
Old 24th July 2010, 20:03   #22
BHPian

lsp, biscuit bandits are common in India. Well, to maintain and respect privacy we have nicks assigned in any net 2.0 forums. TBhp isnt an exception. Very few people know each other by their first name.
Old 24th July 2010, 20:49   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
...They chit chat on phone and the member introduces himself...
Can't the number be traced? Given that this is a fairly serious case - and i'm sure the cops have countless similar complaints.
Chances are it will be a PCO -- but worth a shot.

cya
R

PS - And i've changed the title to be a little more descriptive. I guess one good thing about Team-BHP meets is that members almost always meet in groups, and at public places. Best for the existing members and most comfortable for the newbies too.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2010 at 20:52.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Seriously heavy reading, Madbullram.

People say that you can't go wrong if you trust your instinct, you gut feeling --- but that is the con man's trade, getting around the feelings of another and making themselves feel good. I bet your friends were still feeling good about this guy right up to the point that they passed out.

Any chance of police success on this?
Old 24th July 2010, 21:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats for sharing! Very true that we need to be careful with strangers.
Old 24th July 2010, 22:30   #26
BHPian

Really sorry to hear what happened to Mr.E and his lady :(

I've made very good (online) friends over the last 8-9 years and we are still very close. Thankfully, no such $hit has ever happened to any of us and God-forbid it shouldn't happen to anyone either.
Old 24th July 2010, 22:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

I'm always amused by people who call back an unfamiliar number if they see a missed call.

. Beats me too. I never call back to unknown numbers. If the person wants to reach me, he would call back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Yes, online forums are just that. Online forums.
One should tread carefully.

-- Torqy
You hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

PS - And i've changed the title to be a little more descriptive. I guess one good thing about Team-BHP meets is that members almost always meet in groups, and at public places. Best for the existing members and most comfortable for the newbies too.
I think that's the safest way to get to know others.

Well, looks like MR.E is a simpleton. While I do appreciate his ever willing to help nature, one needs to exercise caution and restraint.Like the original poster said, use your common sense!!

When I read that they both were drugged, I feared the woman was taken advantage of. Thank god nothing of that sort happened.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:06   #28

Did, the person (Mr.E) approach police regarding this matter? This is very serious offense.
Guy has lot more than one might realize as he has his PC, laptop, god knows what documents which might be misused.
If the offender approached through Techenclave, we can help ( I am a moderator there ). Even if he took the phones, there is easy to get his number from logs, his IP from techenclave IP logs.
IMHO, doing nothing will only encourage the offender to strike again.

Last edited by bblost : 24th July 2010 at 23:22. Reason: Please do not use foul language. Refer forum rules before proceeding. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

this is a terrible incident. Thanks to the original poster we are now more aware what could have happened.

I firmly believe, that disclosurers in a ONline forum by members need to be well thought out.

i have often seen people flaunting their background, places they have stayed, thier opinions, details about the family, vehicles, assets etc etc

I am sure if a prankster makes a resonably good attempt one can easily prepare the pen portrait of a target member to an accuracy of 70%+ for sure. more information can be extracted during the f2f meetings.

one needs to excersize restraint in accepting people in their online network, hence without being welknown i do not accept any invite

this thread has re-inforced by belief in this restraint.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:26   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Hey man thats a very serious case.
are they both member on tbp too. if yes please name the culprit. PM our moderator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
People all over including some of my own friends were cribbing about tbhp entrance test.

Well we can now be proud of our stringent entry procedure.
Hi all , this is a Police matter, what the modretors can do ? they may ban a member , what else ?.
Thugs like those dissappear long before you can trace their Information or verify it. They leave no trace

This can be solved on Modus Oprendi bassis by the Police & Cyber Cell.
They may move quickly or not Its your luck.

Also is there any method to verify the truth of information given by a member yet ? I dont think so . Then how did that Thug became member in first place ?

Thugs are getting false Passports, Licences ,even bank loans right under the Noses of ICICI people . You think thease agencies dont Verify ? we read such day by day

And what about those Hackers.

Nobody is safe Unless he/she takes care of himself.

How many times we see ads by authorities that tell us not to take strangers in, not to have food from strangers etc. We just Ignore

Pray that someone near to the ministers/MP/MLA gets looted one day & then the police start working & catch the thief

Meanwhile Take Care

Yours Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 25th July 2010 at 10:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks