Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 17:42   #1
BHPian

How to digitally sign IT returns ?

I was trying to file my dad's IT returns online today. When uploading the XML, I was asked to digitally sign the document with a *.pfx file or a USB Token, or post another form to one of their offices within 90 days of uploading the document.

Info returned by Googling went way over my head.

So can anyone guide me on how to digitally sign a document ?

Er...and another thing, there's a Section 25 in ITR-1, which asks you to write 'Details of Advance Tax and Selt Assessment Tax Payments'. Here, are you supposed to write details of taxes you've already paid ? The challan number is supposed to be 5 digits max, as per the Excel form I downloaded, but according to dad's Form 16, it was 6 digits. Does anyone have a clue on what to do ?

Thanks.

EDIT : I seem to have found something.

http://www.digitalsignature.in/

The site suggests that you have to buy a digital signature certificate, and that seeing that it can be lost upon formatting, which is likely to happen in my case, and that a USB 'Token' which costs an additional 400 bucks is the best solution.

Last edited by anku94 : 24th July 2010 at 17:54.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
I was trying to file my dad's IT returns online today. When uploading the XML, I was asked to digitally sign the document with a *.pfx file or a USB Token, or post another form to one of their offices within 90 days of uploading the document.
You can still upload and do a ordinary post of the acknowledgment.
Quote:
Er...and another thing, there's a Section 25 in ITR-1, which asks you to write 'Details of Advance Tax and Selt Assessment Tax Payments'. Here, are you supposed to write details of taxes you've already paid ? The challan number is supposed to be 5 digits max, as per the Excel form I downloaded, but according to dad's Form 16, it was 6 digits. Does anyone have a clue on what to do ?
I guess the Form 16 would be mentioning about the TDS (Tax deducted at source). The self assessment tax and advance tax are different. I know the self asessment has a different sheet in ITR-2. So, please check again in ITR1 instructions carefully.

Quote:

DIGITAL SIGNATURE CERTIFICATE, India, Digital Signature MTNL trustline DSC, India, MCA21 Digital Signature Certificate, LRA Kolkata

The site suggests that you have to buy a digital signature certificate, and that seeing that it can be lost upon formatting, which is likely to happen in my case, and that a USB 'Token' which costs an additional 400 bucks is the best solution.
You can opt for digital signatures. There are 3 types with one type for only demo or testing. The other types were expensive for just to have it for e-filing. So, i decided to post the ackn. directly to CPC.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:30   #3
BHPian

Thanks. Posting was something my dad was awaiting to avoid. But seeing the price of getting a digital certificate, I guess that's the only option. Thanks a lot.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Posting was something my dad was awaiting to avoid. But seeing the price of getting a digital certificate, I guess that's the only option. Thanks a lot.
I think posting should be ok. I too had many friends in my office fighting and telling why they are not accepting courier or post with ackn. Basically, people feel "insecured" by ordinary post. Or think they can be told that they never send the post.

But I think we have come a long way. And hope it doesnt happen. Yes hope!
Old 25th July 2010, 02:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think posting should be ok. I too had many friends in my office fighting and telling why they are not accepting courier or post with ackn. Basically, people feel "insecured" by ordinary post. Or think they can be told that they never send the post.
Oh, it's got nothing to do with worries of 'postal security'. It's just that my family is a bunch of the laziest people I've met.

And I seem to have made an error here.

Quote:
Posting was something my dad wanted to avoid.
Old 25th July 2010, 02:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:

DIGITAL SIGNATURE CERTIFICATE, India, Digital Signature MTNL trustline DSC, India, MCA21 Digital Signature Certificate, LRA Kolkata

Quote:

You need to buy it from a vendor who is a trusted source for digital certification.

Digital Signature | Digital Certificate | India | Digital Signature Certificates from e-Mudhra This one is accepted by almost all GOI websites.

These certificates are classified as 1, 2 and 3 based on the level of detail they carry. For e-filing tax returns class 2 digital signature certificate is required.

If you are buying a digital signature only to avoid posting the ITR-V, then you will be "pleased" to know that in addition to paying money, you will need to submit a physical application with identity proof documents and a photograph
Old 25th July 2010, 15:10   #7
BHPian

I would suggest forget about digital signatures
1. It requires you to submit your docs physically to ge the digital signature (I would prefer to go to post rather than to submit these docs).
2. At least till last year when I had checked on this topic, digital sigs were valid only for 1 year. So you will have to pay again next year or at least the year after.
3. This year IT dept has said it will also accept the acknowledgement by speed post. I saw this is news paper ads today.
Old 25th July 2010, 15:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
2. At least till last year when I had checked on this topic, digital sigs were valid only for 1 year. So you will have to pay again next year or at least the year after.
Yes, seems its same this year too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
3. This year IT dept has said it will also accept the acknowledgement by speed post. I saw this is news paper ads today.
This is really strange. Because, in the main page of the e-filling site, they say same. But again when you print the acknowledgment form or read the instruction it gives after uploading, it clearly says its only by ordinary post.

Probably the inconsistency is due to missing of updates in some web pages I beleive. Anyway, just to be safer, I did the ordinary post only.
Old 25th July 2010, 15:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, just to be safer, I did the ordinary post only.
Ordinary post works just fine. I had done it last year and received an email from ITD within 3-4 days.
This year the website additionaly mentions that multiple ITRVs can be sent in a single envelope.

Another good thing that has happened this year is that the XLS calculates taxes as well. You just have to fill income details.

Last edited by alto99 : 25th July 2010 at 16:04.
Old 25th July 2010, 16:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

+1 to ordinary post.Last year, I too sent the acknowledgement of IT filing by post & I guess they give time till Aug 31 for this. I received a prompt reply for the postal acknowledgement too.
Old 25th July 2010, 16:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1 to ordinary post.Last year, I too sent the acknowledgement of IT filing by post & I guess they give time till Aug 31 for this. I received a prompt reply for the postal acknowledgement too.
Good to hear that. Btw, they give you 120 days [from the time you uploaded the ITR] to submit the physical ITR-V by post.
Old 25th July 2010, 17:24   #12
BHPian

Seems like digital signatures are more trouble than doing things the old fashioned way. :O

Quote:
Good to hear that. Btw, they give you 120 days [from the time you uploaded the ITR] to submit the physical ITR-V by post.
I think it's 90 days. Not sure, but I think that's what I read when I uploaded the XML yesterday.
Old 25th July 2010, 18:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it's 90 days. Not sure, but I think that's what I read when I uploaded the XML yesterday.
This is what i see in site & the mail send with ITR-V.

Quote:
  1. Please furnish the signed and verified Form ITR-V to the Income-tax Department by mailing it to Income Tax Department - CPC,
    Post Bag No - 1 , Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore - 560100, Karnataka, BY ORDINARY POST ONLY within a period of 120 days from the date oftransmitting the data electronically.
  2. ITR-V sent by Speedpost, Registered Post or Courier will not be accepted. Form ITR-V shall not be received in any other office of the Income-tax Department or in any other manner.
Old 25th July 2010, 19:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK this facility is provided by MTNL too. The signatures are valid for a year/two year.

The advantage by digital signature you get is that you can file return online and get an immediate acknowledgment.

IMO if you are looking for digital signatures only for filing tax returns then you may as well avoid it. Upload on net and send copy by post.
Old 26th July 2010, 00:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
IMO if you are looking for digital signatures only for filing tax returns then you may as well avoid it. Upload on net and send copy by post.
Yeah, that's what I'm about to do. Digisigns are not worth it, for my dad.

Quote:
This is what i see in site & the mail send with ITR-V.
My bad, I musta been feeling sleepy at that time. :P

Can anybody tell me what to do if you've uploaded a XML with wrong info ? Do you file revised returns in that case ?

Last edited by anku94 : 26th July 2010 at 00:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks