Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 10:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
i think it is time MODS closed this thread and we all get back to our automobile lives.
Why? The forum 'Shifting gears" is about anything but automobiles, is it not?
Old 19th August 2010, 10:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
i think it is time MODS closed this thread and we all get back to our automobile lives.
@ aargee

Where are you man.?

I think you should also do the honors by asking the mods to close this thread
Old 19th August 2010, 11:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why? The forum 'Shifting gears" is about anything but automobiles, is it not?
Very much, but we have drifted from the topic long back.Probably, one could start a new thread with the desired topic.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have worked with lots of IITians during my corporate stint, and most of them could never outperform the rest even marginally.

And I have known quite a few IITians who used to get beaten by good enough non-IITians. One becomes an IITian based on IIT-JJE score. Real life has many other ways of measuring ability and bestowing success.
Performance, outperforming, real life, and getting beaten - all as measured in a typical corporate job ? Just wanted to know what yardstick you're using to measure success.

No offence meant.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Take the case of MBA. Are all MBAs considered on par with IIM?
There are enough MBA threads for that discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Performance, outperforming, real life, and getting beaten - all as measured in a typical corporate job ? Just wanted to know what yardstick you're using to measure success.

No offence meant.
No offense taken, I don't even see a reason to take offense, yet. What is a typical corporate job? I mostly worked in product development, and I still do. Here ones technical knowledge, innovative thinking and research abilities rule the roost. In such teams, people who are good at those stand out like leaders and they are well respected for that from their peers. Sometimes it can be the youngest member of the team too. That is what I mean by outperforming others in real life. Their college/marks don't matter. Other industries will have similar situations.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at this article and you'll probably understand the problems faced by those passing out of IITs :

DEMIGODS AND THE DARK SIDE OF MOON (Tragedy of IITs)
Old 19th August 2010, 12:40   #37
BHPian

Excuse me for going totally off-topic

Quote:
Have a look at this article and you'll probably understand the problems faced by those passing out of IITs :

If the article is true, I am not sure whether to cry about money wasted by Central Government on IITs or just laugh at the article.

Quoting some parts

"Informal discussions with students reveal that the only options available to a passing out B.Tech. can be summed up as follows:
Join an Indian software company
Join a foreign software company
Go to USA for further studies
Join one of the IIM's for management studies
Plan a career in academics and join for M.Tech. and later Ph.D. at IIT (A negligible miniscule minority takes this option)"

Lousy choices. Why are the people tied down by choices offered to them. If they are indeed the best, they should blow their own way, than condemning themselves to mediocrity. Have a look at what alumni of great universities across the globe do.

"First of course is the strong individualistic streak in an IITian that prevents him from seeking help even when in dire need"

Isn't it called bloated ego in layman's terms. Organizations thrive on teamwork. I am yet to see an IIT alum who refuse to talk to others.

"This sub-conscious psychology is very often the underlying theme of the dynamics of interaction between a graduate of one of the premium institutes and a product from a non-premium engineering college. The sentiment is - "Well, you made it through JEE and I did not but so what? Now I am going to settle the score by putting you down and dancing while you grimace with pain."

I think it is too below the belt. In the industry, you thrive using your competency. Connections and associations related to cast, language, institution etc would only help you a bit. Obviously they are not the ethical way to progress on a job

Eventually you need to be good on what you do. Pursue excellence. Success would follow, pants down (Quote from 3 Idiots)

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 19th August 2010 at 12:44.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:37   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
"Informal discussions with students reveal that the only options available to a passing out B.Tech. can be summed up as follows:
Join an Indian software company
Join a foreign software company
Go to USA for further studies
Join one of the IIM's for management studies
Plan a career in academics and join for M.Tech. and later Ph.D. at IIT (A negligible miniscule minority takes this option)"
Was true till the meltdown. Many hardcore engineering companies like L&T came year after year and picked up zilch. So they stopped coming for recruiting. After the meltdown students were cribbing about very few jobs. I gave them a flat answer - you folks were kicking engineering firms for over a decade, so why cry now?

Human memory is short and I expect this mindset to re-emerge within the next five years.

At the moment there are 30,000+ jobs going abegging for Civil engineering Graduates, but they are not to be seen anywhere!
Old 19th August 2010, 14:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
After the meltdown students were cribbing about very few jobs. I gave them a flat answer - you folks were kicking engineering firms for over a decade, so why cry now?

At the moment there are 30,000+ jobs going abegging for Civil engineering Graduates, but they are not to be seen anywhere!
Well said Sir.

They were obsessed with IT jobs. I am from Karnataka which has the largest no. of engg colleges and i can give you plenty of examples wherein B-Tech graduates in civil, Industrial Production and even textile engg refused factory based or core engineering jobs and opted for IT jobs.I also know many of these IT guys returning to their core field after recession started.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 19th August 2010 at 14:50. Reason: Edit
Old 19th August 2010, 15:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was true till the meltdown. Many hardcore engineering companies like L&T came year after year and picked up zilch. So they stopped coming for recruiting. After the meltdown students were cribbing about very few jobs. I gave them a flat answer - you folks were kicking engineering firms for over a decade, so why cry now?
It wasn't them who were kicking engineering firms, it was their seniors!
Old 19th August 2010, 15:26   #41
Team-BHP Support

The answer to everything, The Godfather:
Quote:
Clemenza: Pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other Families will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.
The recession works pretty well. It removes all the bad blood in the IT field as well. Civil and Electrical Engineers can finally go back to their world and leave the bits and bytes to the Comp Sci Guys.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:28   #42
BHPian

Time , Opportunities and Career Moves are great levellers. Alumni does play a role albeit minor in today's competitive world.

My batch mates from XII who moved on to all tiers of colleges are not living drastically different lives today, with a few exceptions. Most of them are in stable jobs, have an upper middle class lifestyle, own homes. All this regardless of geography (India or abroad). The difference is in marquee employer names.

"My handle is mmxylorider and I am not an IIT-ian"
Old 19th August 2010, 15:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering most universities have a 5% staff quota,
Can you please share the source of this information please?
Quote:
I think this is Ok and far more restrictive.
What makes you think that the quota is ok? On the same lines like caste/class based reservation?
Old 19th August 2010, 15:42   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It wasn't them who were kicking engineering firms, it was their seniors!
Yes. To me term students is generic and not batch specific. They have to pay for the sins of their elders, just as they reap the fruit of their elders.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:55   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The problem is apparent right off the bat. The author assumes IITians are demigods and goes on from there. It is exactly this attitude that alienates IITians from the rest. Another assumption that is regularly made by them is that all non-IITians are people who got lower scores in IIT-JEE. Hello, there are lots of smart people who never wrote IIT-JEE. There were few very smart guys in my class who never wrote IIT-JEE because they won't get their choice of branch in IIT. They all got within 100 rank in Karnataka CET and got the college and branch they wanted.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th August 2010 at 16:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks