Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 16:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, I've seen some questions from Karnataka CET papers - let's not talk about that

Well, you made it through JEE and I did not but so what? Now I am going to settle the score by putting you down and dancing while you grimace with pain.

Isn't that what this is thread all about ? Come on, let's be honest.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:07   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Samurai, I've seen some questions from Karnataka CET papers - let's not talk about that

Well, you made it through JEE and I did not but so what? Now I am going to settle the score by putting you down and dancing while you grimace with pain.

Isn't that what this is thread all about ? Come on, let's be honest.
Duh! This exact sentiment by IITians is what turns off the rest. BTW, I never wrote IIT-JEE, don't think I was in the mental state to write it then. No regrets until now. That's my honest answer. Mine was the 3rd CET batch, in 1986. I don't know how it is now.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th August 2010 at 16:09.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Well , everyone is entitled to having their own opinions .

Probably enough has been expressed on this thread , request mods to close the thread.

I'm outta here .
Old 19th August 2010, 16:18   #49
BANNED

@sbraj:
Just check on the staff quota in most Universities. even I was offered the same in 1969 but did not take it since I had enough marks in XII to get any subject of my choice.

Remember Kgp was the boondocks when it started. so they had to start a BSc as well! When people join these institutions they do not take Sanyas with Bhagwa Vastra. A (so called) better branch (which is what the quota amounted to) is far less objectionable to a senior bureaucrat's son taking benefit of a caste quota! We may agree to disagree, but this is my view.

I had myself qualified at JEE with a high rank in 1968 but chose not to join!
Old 19th August 2010, 16:44   #50
BHPian

Saw this thread now...

Well to be frank, IIT is IIT and I at least for sure know what I am talking about and sgiitk is surer than I am.

Spent more than half of my life at IIT Kanpur (My dad is an IITK prof) but well, I didn't crack IIT. There was no quota system at IITK and I am sure that it is still not at most of the IITs. I didn't lose heart (never would as I was not interested in studies)

Apart from that, all I can say is that I have seen these 11 classmates (i am only talking about my batch/class and heck, my section of KVIITK) who cracked IIT in either their 1st or 2nd attempt. It's not that they have better brains, but their brains are tuned properly thanks to their curriculum before/after JEE and of course their perseverance at such an young age. I have been working for around 8 yrs in s/w industry and I am yet to come and meet an IITian who's not good and who boasts about their IIT "chaap".

I am totally against the quota system because of the IITs' (sort of) motto: get the cream of India and turn them even better (and not because i didn't get the quota system ).
Old 19th August 2010, 16:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@sbraj:
Just check on the staff quota in most Universities.
Did that for Kerala/Calicut Universities. Could not find any staff quota for teaching staff. Only one I could find was for the children of staff on India missions abroad.

Quote:
Remember Kgp was the boondocks when it started. so they had to start a BSc as well! When people join these institutions they do not take Sanyas with Bhagwa Vastra.
Fair enough. But why keep it a secret? And get rid of it once RTI is in effect?

Quote:
A (so called) better branch (which is what the quota amounted to) is far less objectionable to a senior bureaucrat's son taking benefit of a caste quota! We may agree to disagree, but this is my view.
If you look at it, those advocating reservation do take these kind of incidents to further their cause.

The senior bureaucrat may argue that some jobs in his organization need to be reserved for his children. They too might have sacrifices to put forth. How would you counter that?

Whether nepotism or casteism, evil nevertheless, IMO.
Quote:
We may agree to disagree, but this is my view.
Sure.
Old 20th August 2010, 13:45   #52
BHPian

In my experience, the college tag does stay with you for sufficiently long to make a difference to the career. Having said that, the college tag can only supplement the abilities and by no means can substitute them.

I did study in one of the so called premier colleges about seven years back and I don't work in IT per se. Every time I have moved to a new team, because of the college brand in my resume, people had already formed a favourable opinion about my capabilities and I just had to live up to it. On the other hand, some of my other colleagues without such a tag had to first overcome the adverse preconception and then prove their abilities.

I have mostly been a step ahead of some of my friends with fairly equal abilities and working in the same field as me but without a brand to back them up with.

However, going behind the band at the cost of taking up a course of study which you don't like foolish. Like I said before, the brand can only supplement the ability. If you are not good at what you are doing, the reality is bound to catch up eventually.
Old 20th August 2010, 14:24   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
On the other hand, some of my other colleagues without such a tag had to first overcome the adverse preconception and then prove their abilities.

However, going behind the band at the cost of taking up a course of study which you don't like foolish. Like I said before, the brand can only supplement the ability. If you are not good at what you are doing, the reality is bound to catch up eventually.
Golden Words! Couldn't have said it better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks