Team-BHP - Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89178-your-proud-clock-collection-grand-father-wall-alarm-table-models-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 2082754)
Weren't the Nayak's clocks made in Kerala?

Even I have one. It unwinds pretty quick nowadays, so we no longer use it.

Also have an Omega wrist watch, no longer in use - some trouble with its winding spring. Do not have the guts to give it out for repair.

Nayak's are made in Mangalore, and the Nayak brothers (grandson of original Vaman Nayak) is still making manual clocks (specially for export market) that looks really big.

Ah. Thatnks for the clarification. I was thinking that "Nayak" came from one dealer here. The dealer is no longer in business, AFAIK.

All of you have already known to my collection of wall clocks

1. Nayak's - India
2. Seth Thomas - USA
3. Hibino - Japan

Today I have got a lucky star working with me, and here is the extended list of manual wall clock collection

4. Kienzle - Germany

Company History: Kienzle
Kienzle undoubtedly the world leader from Germany in the clock production arena. From 1822 Kienzle they are the trend setters, and as of today the world most water resistance watches are made by Kienzle (12000 meters) and no competitors are even close to what this guys have made from germany.

Finding Kienzle Wall Clock:

Today I was in my hometown and visiting a watch mechanic for repairing couple of old automatic Rado watches that were used by my father. Interestingly we have many old watch mechanics around my town, the shop I visited instantly picked my attention as there were lots of wall clocks were hanging on the inner wall of the shop. One of the clock grabbed my eyes towards it.. that had without the dial and the machine was exposed and I wanted to buy that one ignoring the clock next to it.

The shop keeper told me that he cannot part that as that one is the only hexagon shaped one in the entire shop so he wanted to keep it with him.
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-10102010001.jpg

Then I swing my eyes into the other clocks in the shop, most of them are "Master Clocks", Made in India. But then I wanted to keep only one from every country and Made in India clocks is already with me. So no no to Master Clock.

Now it is time to look at the clock (huge) one next to the naked hexagon clock, real quick I could read "Globe Watch Co. Ltd." in the first line and some script in the next line and followed by "Madras - Coimbatore"
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-10102010002.jpg

I remembered our PowerTwin the watch and vintage automobile collector who hails from Coimbatore. So went close to read the script, It was reading "Kienzle", Now it is time for me to hear the sound of the clock and no time I decided this clock is not the same as rest of the clocks in the entire shop. The bell sounded exactly like the Church Bell. I wanted to see how the 2nd sound happens as the clocks I have got only knocks the forks at once only. The answer as I predicted this clock got two hammers that knocks the forks with an interval and when I opened the front door my eyes saw a very small letters claiming "Made in Germany".

Thats it the clock had its new owner and proudly I'm hanging this new arrival at my home in Chennai after cleaning the stickers on the glass and pendulum.
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-10102010003.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by trammway (Post 2101109)
All of you have already known to my collection of wall clocks

1. Nayak's - India
2. Seth Thomas - USA
3. Hibino - Japan

Today I have got a lucky star working with me, and here is the extended list of manual wall clock collection

4. Kienzle - Germany

Company History: Kienzle
Kienzle undoubtedly the world leader from Germany in the clock production arena. From 1822 Kienzle they are the trend setters, and as of today the world most water resistance watches are made by Kienzle (12000 meters) and no competitors are even close to what this guys have made from germany.

Finding Kienzle Wall Clock:

Today I was in my hometown and visiting a watch mechanic for repairing couple of old automatic Rado watches that were used by my father. Interestingly we have many old watch mechanics around my town, the shop I visited instantly picked my attention as there were lots of wall clocks were hanging on the inner wall of the shop. One of the clock grabbed my eyes towards it.. that had without the dial and the machine was exposed and I wanted to buy that one ignoring the clock next to it.

The shop keeper told me that he cannot part that as that one is the only hexagon shaped one in the entire shop so he wanted to keep it with him.
Attachment 436834

Then I swing my eyes into the other clocks in the shop, most of them are "Master Clocks", Made in India. But then I wanted to keep only one from every country and Made in India clocks is already with me. So no no to Master Clock.

Now it is time to look at the clock (huge) one next to the naked hexagon clock, real quick I could read "Globe Watch Co. Ltd." in the first line and some script in the next line and followed by "Madras - Coimbatore"
Attachment 436835

I remembered our PowerTwin the watch and vintage automobile collector who hails from Coimbatore. So went close to read the script, It was reading "Kienzle", Now it is time for me to hear the sound of the clock and no time I decided this clock is not the same as rest of the clocks in the entire shop. The bell sounded exactly like the Church Bell. I wanted to see how the 2nd sound happens as the clocks I have got only knocks the forks at once only. The answer as I predicted this clock got two hammers that knocks the forks with an interval and when I opened the front door my eyes saw a very small letters claiming "Made in Germany".

Thats it the clock had its new owner and proudly I'm hanging this new arrival at my home in Chennai after cleaning the stickers on the glass and pendulum.
Attachment 436836

Congratulations Trammway!!
Keinzle....great clocks
Even keinzle automobile electric clocks are great, I have 2 " Keinzle" car clocks one Round ( dia 2.5 inches) & other a rectangular one
One was from a Volkswagon variant & other from a 122S Volvo, both works with 12Volt Direct current !!

Nice thread. I am fortunate to have started collecting clocks and watches in the 1980's, and at that time I felt that I was already too late. So just imagine what my thoughts were when I went through this thread. The quality of stuff available has changed, just like the in car and bike scene. I must be having around 300 pocket watches, 80 wall clocks, and 25 table clocks. And very few are Japanese. Many pocket watches have cases made of silver, which was more affordable in those days.

A little bit of sorting needs to be done to understand the horological hobby much better. There are different types of movements and different types of clocks/watches. Many movements can be found in different types of clocks. The basic movements are escape, cylinder, verge, fusee chain, matchstick movement, atmos etc. And time pieces are wall clocks, table clocks, grandfather clocks, bracket clocks, carriage clocks, pocket and wrist watches. Watch movements were also fitted in the handle of walking sticks, pendants, cars, broaches etc. There were different drives, the springs, the weights and self winding with movement like walking. Time pieces had many features like day & date, moon phase, alarm, dual timing, winding indicator, repeater, either minute or quarter, they also had little decorative movements like a windmill where the seconds hand is places in such a way that the windmill appears to be in rotation, and then there were the erotics. There were different decorative cases, in wood, marble, brass, silver, and what not. In many cases the movement for clocks was imported, and the case was made locally in India.

The best clocks were British, French, Swiss and then American. The most popular widely spread were the Japanese like Seikosha, they cost around Rs 7 in the 1920's, the next were the Americans Ansonia, Seth Thomas which cost under Rs 20. I remember that Elphinstone College had a few such wall clocks. Seth Thomas production shifted to Russia. Even these American wall clocks had variety, there were table models, wall clocks long and short case, some had a calendar section, different body styles, I have a two weight table model Ansonia with calendar and two weights, rare even in those days. Other American makes were Waterbury and Blue Haven, and some more.

A very important driver of the clock/watch industry were the Railways, they commissioned a number of pocket watches and clocks, good quality and high accuracy. J.W.Benson was a big name.

Clocks and watches were collected by the "pherrywallahs" from all over India and brought to Chor Bazar. The stuff available at one time has to be seen to be believed. I do not buy many time pieces now, the problems are to get a good repairer, I have watches lying in a watch shop for 15 years and more, the second difficulty is the pricing, today I prefer to spend on Automobilia.

This is a brief write-up I though I should share, there is so much more to tell, let there be some converstion also.

Cheers,
harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2107544)
Nice thread. I am fortunate to have started collecting clocks and watches in the 1980's, and at that time I felt that I was already too late. So just imagine what my thoughts were when I went through this thread. The quality of stuff available has changed, just like the in car and bike scene. I must be having around 300 pocket watches, 80 wall clocks, and 25 table clocks. And very few are Japanese. Many pocket watches have cases made of silver, which was more affordable in those days.

A little bit of sorting needs to be done to understand the horological hobby much better. There are different types of movements and different types of clocks/watches. Many movements can be found in different types of clocks. The basic movements are escape, cylinder, verge, fusee chain, matchstick movement, atmos etc. And time pieces are wall clocks, table clocks, grandfather clocks, bracket clocks, carriage clocks, pocket and wrist watches. Watch movements were also fitted in the handle of walking sticks, pendants, cars, broaches etc. There were different drives, the springs, the weights and self winding with movement like walking. Time pieces had many features like day & date, moon phase, alarm, dual timing, winding indicator, repeater, either minute or quarter, they also had little decorative movements like a windmill where the seconds hand is places in such a way that the windmill appears to be in rotation, and then there were the erotics. There were different decorative cases, in wood, marble, brass, silver, and what not. In many cases the movement for clocks was imported, and the case was made locally in India.

The best clocks were British, French, Swiss and then American. The most popular widely spread were the Japanese like Seikosha, they cost around Rs 7 in the 1920's, the next were the Americans Ansonia, Seth Thomas which cost under Rs 20. I remember that Elphinstone College had a few such wall clocks. Seth Thomas production shifted to Russia. Even these American wall clocks had variety, there were table models, wall clocks long and short case, some had a calendar section, different body styles, I have a two weight table model Ansonia with calendar and two weights, rare even in those days. Other American makes were Waterbury and Blue Haven, and some more.

A very important driver of the clock/watch industry were the Railways, they commissioned a number of pocket watches and clocks, good quality and high accuracy. J.W.Benson was a big name.

Clocks and watches were collected by the "pherrywallahs" from all over India and brought to Chor Bazar. The stuff available at one time has to be seen to be believed. I do not buy many time pieces now, the problems are to get a good repairer, I have watches lying in a watch shop for 15 years and more, the second difficulty is the pricing, today I prefer to spend on Automobilia.

This is a brief write-up I though I should share, there is so much more to tell, let there be some converstion also.

Cheers,
harit

Harit,

This is truely awesome. Infact I do know with a kind of enthusiastics in TBHP, there could be many clock/watch collectors and expected this thread to serve as a platform to have all such items to be discussed.

As I'm a newbie watch/clock collector, your post is a eye opener. Looking at the numbers you have given, I'm fainting :eek:

I have a matchless regulator with rear key pocket watch and a westend silver pocket watch too. I'm in the process of buying a Omega and Longines pocket watches in the coming week.

I'm really interested to know what is the matchless regulator, railway regulator pocket watches ? what is the meaning for this scripts on the dial or back of the pocket watches ?

Please let us know differences of escape, cylinder, verge, fusee chain, matchstick movement, atmos

Hello fellow members. Just wanted to share a piece of information with you guys. I have located an old shop dealing with all sort of mechanical table clocks including make such as Jaico, Jaz, Ruben (it sounds like that). He also had a pair of wall clock of Scientific make. Anyways the chachaa owning the shop showed me some clocks for sale (actually a bunch of them). Currently he has 2 pieces of Jaz make clocks(similar to the pictured one) along with some oval shaped jaico ones. Do let me know if any one needs them.

KIENZLE my friend. Spelling!!!

And Kienzle used to make OEM car clocks for Jaguar too as well as Volvo etc - check out the old XJ S.

My favourite is my dad's old 1920's SMITHS Mantelpiece Clock - teak wood housing and lovely old Big Ben type hands. Winding movement. Lovely. MOP Dial got stolen when he gave it to stupid P ORR and sons in Madras for servicing/repairs around 10 years ago.Need to find a replacement dial which is proving near impossible.

Still a beautiful clock though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by powertwin (Post 2102160)
Congratulations Trammway!!
Keinzle....great clocks
Even keinzle automobile electric clocks are great, I have 2 " Keinzle" car clocks one Round ( dia 2.5 inches) & other a rectangular one
One was from a Volkswagon variant & other from a 122S Volvo, both works with 12Volt Direct current !!

Pictured here is a 24hr. WEKUP table clock purchased in 1970 for mere 15Rs.
Full chromed outer body with fluorescent dial and needles recently serviced. Got its spring balance replaced. Also have some more clocks in collection which i will post later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 2173342)
KIENZLE my friend. Spelling!!!

And Kienzle used to make OEM car clocks for Jaguar too as well as Volvo etc - check out the old XJ S.

My favourite is my dad's old 1920's SMITHS Mantelpiece Clock - teak wood housing and lovely old Big Ben type hands. Winding movement. Lovely. MOP Dial got stolen when he gave it to stupid P ORR and sons in Madras for servicing/repairs around 10 years ago.Need to find a replacement dial which is proving near impossible.

Still a beautiful clock though.

Thanks buddy for Spelling correction :)
Here is my " KIENZLE duo" Table clock ( circa 1900's)
Still going strong....

About my Kienzle duo clock>>> a Q & A from internet----->>>>>
Question

[SIZE=2]Kienzle[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Have just stumbled upon a few old clocks recently, taken it up as a recent interest. I am unable to date most of them though. The first one am having a hard time with is this Kienzle. Could you help me when time permits?

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Answer
There is a small brochure printed in 1908 by the factory of Schlenker & Kienzle about the first 25 years of the clock factory. In that booklet in German one can read something about the history. I will try to tell you the essentials of that text.In 1822 Johannes Schlenker began to run a clockshop at Schwenningen. He made typical Black Forest clocks with wooden works and a lacquered shield, the so-called "Lackschilduhren". Johannes Schlenker, born in 1782, died in 1864, He had three sons who were involved in the clockshop. On April 18th 1883 the grandson of Johannes Schlenker Karl Johannes and the husband of his daughter Jakob Kienzle became directors of the family run business. They started producing clocks in an industrial way.The brand mark of the famous Schlenker & Kienzle clocks was a wheel with two wings. In the first years they sold their clocks mainly in Germany and Austria. In 1887 they founded another factory in Komotau (Austria). Before 1908 several other factories and sales offices in Germany, France, England and Italy were built. In 1908 three quarters of all clocks were exported. Until 1893 the factory only produced clocks with massive plates. Then they started to produce also cheaper clockworks with skeleton plates in the way most American clocks were made, the so-called "Amerikaneruhren". Between 1883 and 1907 they made 2,301,240 clocks with massive plates, and between 1894 and 1907 they made 5,327,450 clocks in the American way.
The company was founded by Johannes Schlenker, then passed down through the family. In 1892 production was 162,000 clocks.The name was changed in 1919 to Kienzle Uhrenfabriken and the company merged with Thomas Haller in 1929
In 1939 had 3500 employees. Transferred to China in 1997. Now part of Highway Holdings Ltd

so I would guess early 1900's [/SIZE]clap:

Though the earlier post by some of our member, spells " JAZ", but in my very old & BOLD JAZZ table clock, has script as " JAZZ" ( illusion may be:))

Believe it, when it is at Alarm mode>>>>it sounds like our temple bell!!
this to with Roman numerals is Circa 1900 s
PS: Sorry for the poor picture quality , will post once more after fixing one of the leg, which I misplaced some where:Frustrati

Another typical German Engineering>>" WEHRLE three-in-one jewelled table clock.
It was not in order ,when I picked this beautiful clock, also bought a donor clock ( for springs & a adjuster knobs)
Was restored at my garage itself:) ( @ trammway:- this is the third TIME machine fixed by Giri & me)

About that " THREE- IN -ONE" >>>:)....??
will post tomorrow

Have 3 of this Hes T Clocks with me, posting here a Luxury model(???lol:)
Again poor pic quality, some thing gone wrong in my Cam, have to fix it!!

Others...?? will post it in near future:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by powertwin (Post 2178476)
Another typical German Engineering>>" WEHRLE three-in-one jewelled table clock.

About that " THREE- IN -ONE" >>>:)....??
will post tomorrow

Why tomorrow, let me do it now,'b' coz Time is Precious :uncontrol

This vintage German made Wehrle Three-In-One Jewelled Rust & Dust Protected Shockproof Alarm & Strike Clock. We have tested it and it works perfectly. It is very unique in the fact that it's almost like a mini grandfather clock. If you set the "Strike" in the "On" position, a loud ringing bell sound will strike every hour, once for each hour. It will also strike at 30 minute intervals. When the "Alarm" is in the "On" position, it will act as a regular alarm clock but you can choose between "Repeat" which is short intervals or "Full" which is steady ringing. The actual alarm sound is super loud, almost like a firehouse bell or school bell. The clock numbers and hands have the "nite-glo" feature.
Wehrle is a maker of fine clocks since the 1800's and this is another example of one. :)

Dear Collectors,

I've been looking for a Grandfather's clock for quite a while.
Can you guys help me get one?