Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 11:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Truly inspirational. I am sure you and your family were more attached to this Ganesha than one that you would have bought from the market (mostly made of plaster of paris and other material).

Also a great way to care for the nature which is God's own creation. Most people worship God and use the same God (at least his statues in case of Ganesha) to destroy that very nature.

-Biju
Old 1st October 2010, 11:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

Wow I really like the whole idea . Really appreciate you efforts of making Ganesh Idol on your own and then posting such detailed step by step instructions here.
I am sure Ganpati Bappa also appreciate your effort and will bless you and your family with good health , wealth and all the good things in life .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Truly inspirational. I am sure you and your family were more attached to this Ganesha than one that you would have bought from the market (mostly made of plaster of paris and other material).

Also a great way to care for the nature which is God's own creation. Most people worship God and use the same God (at least his statues in case of Ganesha) to destroy that very nature.

-Biju
Thanks Prashant and Biju. I hope atleast a few are inspired by this !
Old 20th August 2011, 09:25   #18
BHPian

Re: How to make ganesh idol from Clay and celebrate eco-friendly Ganesh festival

Just around 10 days for Ganesh Chaturthi, Planning to do this again this year.

Morya ! ! !
Rastapopoulos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 19:29   #19
BHPian

Re: How to make ganesh idol from Clay and celebrate eco-friendly Ganesh festival

Look forward to seeing your this year's photo-story on idol making..

I am an utter novice at it and this is my debut year.. Still oscillating between paper mache and shadu clay. Have started with soaking of paper so far ( since this morning) since I don't have any clue where I can locate Shadu clay in Nerul.

Will keep posted how things shape...

Like your experience, even we got fed up of the pollution we cause thru PoP idols and this year is first of sorts. One clay idol also booked and one idol to be made at home.. Next year maybe only the idol from home!
Old 7th September 2011, 11:51   #20
BHPian

Hi Rastapopoulas,

I bumped into your thread just before the Ganesh festival. Was traveling extensively during that time, so could not dedicate much time in bringing the clay, preparing the idol etc. As a kid, was part of the Boy Scout movement, so knew the process and also the fun involved, but your posts refreshed everything. Had detailed discussion during this festival with family members (as Ganpati festival happens to be a very delicate and emotional topic) and was successful in convincing them on the eco friendliness angle. So, next year onwards, we’ve decided to bring in a permanent sort of idol (preferably a metal one) which would stay with us and the pooja would happen on a ‘betel nut’ (called ‘supari’ locally) which according the customs is permitted in absence of an idol. Thanking you for triggering these thoughts. This time we immersed the idol in a small tub at home and after a few days we would be using the same water for the small garden we have.

Ganapati Bappa Moraya...
Old 13th September 2011, 19:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
Hi Rastapopoulas,

I bumped into your thread just before the Ganesh festival. Was traveling extensively during that time, so could not dedicate much time in bringing the clay, preparing the idol etc. As a kid, was part of the Boy Scout movement, so knew the process and also the fun involved, but your posts refreshed everything. Had detailed discussion during this festival with family members (as Ganpati festival happens to be a very delicate and emotional topic) and was successful in convincing them on the eco friendliness angle. So, next year onwards, we’ve decided to bring in a permanent sort of idol (preferably a metal one) which would stay with us and the pooja would happen on a ‘betel nut’ (called ‘supari’ locally) which according the customs is permitted in absence of an idol. Thanking you for triggering these thoughts. This time we immersed the idol in a small tub at home and after a few days we would be using the same water for the small garden we have.

Ganapati Bappa Moraya...

Apologies - I just vanished after bumping the thread. Thanks for the support and congrats on the change you brought in the your celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Look forward to seeing your this year's photo-story on idol making..

I am an utter novice at it and this is my debut year.. Still oscillating between paper mache and shadu clay. Have started with soaking of paper so far ( since this morning) since I don't have any clue where I can locate Shadu clay in Nerul.

Will keep posted how things shape...

Like your experience, even we got fed up of the pollution we cause thru PoP idols and this year is first of sorts. One clay idol also booked and one idol to be made at home.. Next year maybe only the idol from home!
Awaiting on how your home made idol turn out to be.... pictures please.

I did not click the entire process again just attaching the final product

Ganpatti Bappa Moryaaaaaa ! ! !

How to make ganesh idol from Clay and celebrate eco-friendly Ganesh festival-fortbhp.jpg
Old 19th September 2011, 11:38   #22
BHPian

Rastapopoulos, It just did not happen. We had a family exigency during the festive, which required hospitalization and surgery. My bits of paper are still soaked and getting pulped.
Old 21st September 2011, 07:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Rastapopoulos, It just did not happen. We had a family exigency during the festive, which required hospitalization and surgery. My bits of paper are still soaked and getting pulped.
I hope your family is doing well now and all is well. The idol preparation can always wait.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Excellent Thread with a lovely message.

Thanks a LOT for sharing.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rastapopoulos , some of the images in this thread have made it to an internal mailer that my company has sent for eco friendly Ganpati Festival.

I have a query, how do we distinguish whether an idol is made from clay (shadu) by visual inspection ? This year all shopkeepers are claiming they have sourced "genuine" clay idols.
Old 17th September 2012, 13:59   #26
BHPian

For past 4 years, my neighbours are celeberating Ganesh festival in unique way. They have permanant Ganesha Idol (made up of Marble Crust) in thier house which they use / display only during ganesh festival. Actual Prana pratishtha ( a ceremony by which a deity is brought to inhabit a idol of that deity) is done to a areca nut (supari) which is trated as symbolic god.
At the end of second day, areca nut is immersed at their home / at nearby attificial tank constructed by municiple corporation for ganesh immersion.

Marble Crust ganesh idol is again kept secured for next year.

Its a good way to give back to nature especially when there is no gauranty that ganesh idol is made up of clay.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Hey Rastapopoulos , some of the images in this thread have made it to an internal mailer that my company has sent for eco friendly Ganpati Festival.

I have a query, how do we distinguish whether an idol is made from clay (shadu) by visual inspection ? This year all shopkeepers are claiming they have sourced "genuine" clay idols.
Internal mailer in your company? I wonder if I work in your company as I have sent a mail to my friends and office team about trying to change the way they celebrate this festival.

I do not think there is any good method to know that the idols in market are of shadu- I am no expert in this. I am just another one of you who changed the way of celebrating the festival.

The only tip is clay idols are not as good looking as the POP, they might also have some cracks. Might not be in all cases though and might not be the only right way. Just something I understand.

PM me your company details so I know is some other ocmpany is using my images or it is me who is just sitting a few seats away from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
For past 4 years, my neighbours are celeberating Ganesh festival in unique way. They have permanant Ganesha Idol (made up of Marble Crust) in thier house which they use / display only during ganesh festival. Actual Prana pratishtha ( a ceremony by which a deity is brought to inhabit a idol of that deity) is done to a areca nut (supari) which is trated as symbolic god.
At the end of second day, areca nut is immersed at their home / at nearby attificial tank constructed by municiple corporation for ganesh immersion.

Marble Crust ganesh idol is again kept secured for next year.

Its a good way to give back to nature especially when there is no gauranty that ganesh idol is made up of clay.

I initially wanted to buy a nice silver or marble permanant statue the way you observed with your neighbours. But I am finding this way exciting and fun. More of a family activity which otherwise is restricted to a dinner and a movie. I might move on to the permanant statue solution the moment I find this boring or impossible due to other commitments. But as of now, I am enjoying this.

and Thanks Bblost!
Old 17th September 2012, 16:06   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Every year for the Ganapathy Festival we go and buy a simple clay idol from a shop near the local BDA. The idols I buy do not even have paint on them, let alone amy other toxic substances. These are brought in by a bunch of simple itinerant traders from Dharmapuri District in TN.
Suits me fine, to pay them what they ask, usually Rs 150/- or so for an idol.
Much better than buying something made in China, for what is essentially, an Indian Hindu religious festival.
Disposal of the idols after the festival is handled not by immersion in water, but by interment in the ground where the clay will naturally leach away over a few seasons of rain and shine.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th September 2012 at 16:09.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I initially wanted to buy a nice silver or marble permanant statue the way you observed with your neighbours. But I am finding this way exciting and fun. More of a family activity which otherwise is restricted to a dinner and a movie. I might move on to the permanant statue solution the moment I find this boring or impossible due to other commitments. But as of now, I am enjoying this.
Hey Rastapopoulos..I never meant method adapted by my neighbours is only effective and eco friendly method. Going through the thread, I only thought of sharing another method that is getting common now a days. No offence ment about your idea of Ganesh Idol.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Hey Rastapopoulos..I never meant method adapted by my neighbours is only effective and eco friendly method. Going through the thread, I only thought of sharing another method that is getting common now a days. No offence ment about your idea of Ganesh Idol.

Hey amit Sorry I did not mean it that way. I was just suggesting that your method was a great way which I was actually thinking about. But struck on this and finding this fun.

All the methods are great as long as they give one pleasure and save the environment.

Moryaaaa! ! ! !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks