Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 22:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Here is my small effort in Gardening including a Kitchen Garden. The pictures below show Mint, Carrots, Raddish, Brinjal, Pumpkin, Green Chilli, Tomatoes, Beans, Spinach and our very own farm fresh organic harvest. The trees are Lime, Sweet Lime, Litchi, Custard Apple and Pineapple.
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08438.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08439.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08440.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08441.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08442.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08445.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08448.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08449.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08447.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc08444.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:52   #137
BHPian

Guys,
Any ideas on where I would be able to get good quality vermicompost/manure/fertilizers in Bangalore?
I have tried multiple brands of vermicompost from the local super markets and most of time, they just don't seem to work and the plants do not seem to be getting enough nutrients!
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:51   #138
Senior - BHPian

1. Vermicompost - GKVK (Gandhi Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Univ. of Agricultural Sc.) on Bellary Road (Airport Road) [Pl. carry you own sack(s) - max. 20 Kgs per head, I bought last week @ 8/Kg]

2. Compost - Biotech Center, Dept. of Horticulture, opposite Meenakshi Mall on Bannerghatta Road [Go to the office, pay money and get the challan, go the compost area - they will weigh and give in plastic bags; @ 6/Kg]

3. Horse manure - Labagh Horticulture Coop. (on the left, near car parking after entering from Double Road side)

4. Sheep manure - ask around. Cowdung slurry would also available

5. For (inorganic) fertilizers, the best place is New Tharagupet in the old city area near City Market

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd May 2014 at 15:53.
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:48   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Vermicompost - GKVK (Gandhi Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Univ. of Agricultural Sc.) on Bellary Road (Airport Road) [Pl. carry you own sack(s) - max. 20 Kgs per head, I bought last week @ 8/Kg]
Thanks a lot, DerAlte!
The first option looks interesting and I am planning to drive down there next weekend all the way from my home in Whitefield!
I have been paying Rs 30-40 per kg of compost till now!
Old 8th May 2014, 14:48   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Guys,
Any ideas on where I would be able to get good quality vermicompost/manure/fertilizers in Bangalore?
I have tried multiple brands of vermicompost from the local super markets and most of time, they just don't seem to work and the plants do not seem to be getting enough nutrients!
If you have open space, you can make your own compost. We normally have a deep pit dug up in our garden, where the days vegetable wastes are dumped. Once it is full a new pit is dug. As time goes bye the garden gets fertilized with this compost.
Old 8th May 2014, 15:34   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you have open space, you can make your own compost. We normally have a deep pit dug up in our garden, where the days vegetable wastes are dumped. Once it is full a new pit is dug. As time goes bye the garden gets fertilized with this compost.
I live in an apartment and the space available for plants is just limited to 2 small balconies facing west and a couple of indoor plants!
So, digging a pit is out of question!
Old 8th May 2014, 15:35   #142
BHPian

I have a few big pots on the terrace of my apartment. I have noticed a lot of red ants around it . When I moved the pot a little bit I noticed what seems like ant eggs (tiny white stuff). I think there is a huge ant colony in all those pots. Some neighbors are objecting to this and I need to get rid of the ants . How do I do it ??
Old 8th May 2014, 15:44   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I have a few big pots on the terrace of my apartment. I have noticed a lot of red ants around it . When I moved the pot a little bit I noticed what seems like ant eggs (tiny white stuff). I think there is a huge ant colony in all those pots. Some neighbors are objecting to this and I need to get rid of the ants . How do I do it ??
In general Ants are beneficial for the environment. So it is best to bear them. In case you want to get rid of them carry the pots to a remote area and dump theiur contents. Then wash them thoroughly.

In future to discourage insects in the pots mix fresh Neem leaves with the soil. Replenish the Neem leaves at least twice a year.
Old 8th May 2014, 18:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
I live in an apartment and the space available for plants is just limited to ...
Get a "Khamba" - a 3 tiered one should be sufficient. Keep it in a corner in the balcony, and put all bio waste - wet and dry - into it. The Daily Dump guys in Bangalore sell this (as do many others), as well as the microbes for composting. You won't have to buy compost after 3 months. It will generate enough compost for your plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
... Some neighbors are objecting to this ...
Don't do anything! Funny insensitive neighbors - how unlike Bangalore. Do they complain about lizards and birds too? Perhaps they don't because they don't know whom to complain to!
Old 9th May 2014, 00:11   #145
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

We have couple of mango trees in our garden, not sure of the exact mango variety but they just do not ripen so we just give them away to folks who use them to prepare mango pickle.
My neighbour told me recently that we can talk to folks at the Horticulture department who can help by grafting other mango varieties to these trees (he only heard about it and does not have any more information!).

Any help/pointers on whom/where in Bangalore to contact will help immensely.

@DerAlte - any suggestions ?
Old 9th May 2014, 12:26   #146
Senior - BHPian

Biotech Center / Dept of Horticulture, Bannerghatta Road (opp. Meenakshi Mall). Drive in to the main office and talk to the research guys. Select the variety you want. They will be able to make a special graft (not soil or air layered) for grafting on to the existing trees. Then, catch one of the gardeners at the thota to do the splicing of the graft.

You could go to UAS / GKVK too and get the same done. Ask at the main office (Nayak Bhavan) first - GKVK is a massive maze and it is difficult to locate the responsible dept (I think it should be Horticulture) and person.
Old 10th May 2014, 00:17   #147
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Biotech Center / Dept of Horticulture, Bannerghatta Road (opp. Meenakshi Mall). Drive in to the main office and talk to the research guys. Select the variety you want. They will be able to make a special graft (not soil or air layered) for grafting on to the existing trees. Then, catch one of the gardeners at the thota to do the splicing of the graft.

You could go to UAS / GKVK too and get the same done. Ask at the main office (Nayak Bhavan) first - GKVK is a massive maze and it is difficult to locate the responsible dept (I think it should be Horticulture) and person.
Thanks @DerAlte. Will do this sometime soon and update.
Old 10th May 2014, 21:46   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Some from the Vegetable Garden.

1. Mint ( thrives in shade)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20140510_081918.jpg

2. Brinjal (morning sun)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-brin.jpg

3. Cabbage (partly shade)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-cabb.jpg

4. Carrot ( partly sunny)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-carr.jpg

5. Celery (shade)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-c.jpg

6. Ladyfinger ( bright sun)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-la.jpg

7. Beetroot ( morning sun)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-beet.jpg
Old 6th June 2014, 12:27   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

On terrace ( Veg garden)

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20140603_181000.jpg
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20140603_180953.jpg
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20140603_180850.jpg

And in balcony -Orchids

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20140603_175235.jpg
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20140603_175250.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 14:52   #150
BHPian

I found these guys while searching for something nearby.

http://www.kora3bcompost.in/

I plan to go and visit this facility tomorrow morning. Will provide an update later.

Regards,

Most Viewed