Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 20:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My question would be, is it written in law (or even in west) that the right most lane (and left most in west for RHS drive) is reserved for overtaking only? I don't think so.

So unless its in law, why would one want to follow?
@aargee

This is what British MV act says, and since Indian law is based on their law, I suppose it applies to us too!

Driving in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27th October 2010, 20:59   #62
MX6
Senior - BHPian

All this stems from the fact that bigger your vehicle or bigger the clout you have, then you can do anything.
I got irritated when I saw an alto on NH4 bearing numberplates having the colours of a prominent political party.
The bugger is doing 50 or so on the right lane. I honk. He doesn't move. I hooooonnnnnnk. He doesn't move again.
I flash and honk for over 10 seconds. He doesn't budge.

I just overtake him on the left, then immediately move to the right lane.
Now I notice that this moron doesn't want me to go to the right lane. So he is trying to catch up. In the night, it was a startling experience for me because, I was almost in the middle of two lanes and this guy tries to squeeze in between me and the divider in an attempt to catch up.

I managed to get ahead and then floor my pedal.

Kept over 90 kph for a good 20 minutes to ensure that moron never manages to catch up with me. Else he might show what the elected representatives of democratic India can do to poor civilians like me!

Whew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Some students, maybe to promote safe driving were driving 5 cars abreast at 55 mph. Pretty soon the traffic piled up behind them. The traffic cops cited them for obstructing traffic with the reasoning, civilians are not required to regulate traffic. If anybody is breaking the law by speeding, traffic cops are required to catch and determine if it was justified.
Their 15 minutes of cheap fame I guess. In US it's clear. Let policing work to police. One might get shot by an irate guy if tried to correct on the highway (interstate in this case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1
Everyday, everywhere I see ppl talking on mobile when riding, driving, day, night, noon. I seriously feel something needs to be done through the service providers. Probably something like the line gets disconnected when the mobile keeps moving or something. Its really high time. Unless people stop talking & start doing something constructively, the fate of this country will worsen still
I don't know what's the pressing urgency for morons to stick a mobile in their middle ear while driving/ riding/ walking/ jay walking. I recently noticed a girl cutting in dangerously from left, inbetween two huge trucks, cut me across, came right on to a toyota camry and had the poor driver's heart in his mouth. The one riding was trying this manouver at a traffic signal with a mobile in one hand, clearly unmindful of vehicles around her.

And Aargee. It applies to us. Our laws regarding motoring have become more complex and out dated than the rules relating to Cricket. The Right lane is only for passing. But then, in a country where there's no lane discipline, every moron passes from any place they deem is their royal, baap ka way.

Last edited by MX6 : 27th October 2010 at 21:02.
Old 27th October 2010, 21:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
All this stems from the fact that bigger your vehicle or bigger the clout you have, then you can do anything.
Ha ha! The unwritten law of Indian roads so far as vehicles are concerned :

"Bigger the better, and biggest is best"!

IIRC it was Dilip Bam who said that!
Old 27th October 2010, 21:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I got irritated when I saw an alto on NH4 bearing numberplates having the colours of a prominent political party.
The bugger is doing 50 or so on the right lane. I honk. He doesn't move. I hooooonnnnnnk. He doesn't move again.

I just overtake him on the left, then immediately move to the right lane.
Now I notice that this moron doesn't want me to go to the right lane. So he is trying to catch up. In the night, it was a startling experience for me because, I was almost in the middle of two lanes and this guy tries to squeeze in between me and the divider in an attempt to catch up.

I managed to get ahead and then floor my pedal.

Kept over 90 kph for a good 20 minutes to ensure that moron never manages to catch up with me. Else he might show what the elected representatives of democratic India can do to poor civilians like me!

Whew.
You said it, Mani! BUT, you got guts!! I keep my distance from these types of vehicles (devnagri number plates, party colors, fancy decals/stickers, VIP numbers) - all indications of possible connections and money. I overtake at the first opportunity with minimal fuss, intent being to get ahead ASAP. Let them hog all the road width they want - behind me!
Old 27th October 2010, 21:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is what British MV act says, and since Indian law is based on their law, I suppose it applies to us too!
We'll need to use RTI probably for this & guess what? They'll be happy to give the info because no one's at stake

Quote:
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression you haven't honked for even once in a year or so

Quote:
And Aargee. It applies to us. Our laws regarding motoring have become more complex and out dated than the rules relating to Cricket.
Well, you know what MS? They aren't that complex. All one need is to start yielding for others & then things will start falling in place. Trust me, it works.

Most of the time at a deadlock junction, people come & honk behind me asking to move. But I just wait for the deadlock to remove, most of them ask me to move & squeeze through. But if its really a serious one, I switch off the engine & wait no matter I ride Rx or WagonR. When the deadlock unfolds & I ride, I will be able to catch those morons who squeezed & ran away few minutes before me. IMO, people who jump signals, violate rules & impatient are the ones who're not confident on their driving skills.

Quote:
The Right lane is only for passing. But then, in a country where there's no lane discipline, every moron passes from any place they deem is their royal, baap ka way.
^^^ Exactly my point. But my learning for the day is "keep the right free for overtaking only".

But trust me guys, on a 6 lane highway, people throw eggs when you drive left most; people drive from opposite when you drive on extreme right. So its safer to drive on the middle lane
Old 29th October 2010, 09:41   #66
BHPian

In Amazing Race Asia (AXN, 9pm) last night's episode, a team was pulled over by traffic police on a New Zealand highway for driving too slow. I don't remember their exact speed at that time but I think it was somewhere around 80 kmph in a 100 kmph limit highway (can't check on Youtube right now).

Last edited by Guite : 29th October 2010 at 09:47.
Old 15th October 2013, 15:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Disciplining lane hogs/Sunday drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
In Amazing Race Asia (AXN, 9pm) last night's episode, a team was pulled over by traffic police on a New Zealand highway for driving too slow. I don't remember their exact speed at that time but I think it was somewhere around 80 kmph in a 100 kmph limit highway (can't check on Youtube right now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am not sure about Indian Law, but in the west, of a vehicle comes behind you, and the middle lane is empty, you are supposed to clear the way.
Infact, people doing 65mph in 65mph zone and blocking the left lane are often cited. However big fines are rarely given, and usually they are left of with a warning.
I once had the experience as a passenger in a new drivers car, who was driving at 65mph in the leftmost(fastest) lane.
A cop car pulled up behind him an ordered him to vacate the lane.

In India MV act is pretty archaic.
That said, many people say its okay for people to drive at 70 in the right lane even if speed limit is 90.

So who decides 70 is okay.
Why not 40kmph.
By that logic a person in the right lane doing 40kmph parallel to a 40kmph truck and blocking the entire road is also within the law, and the entire traffic should drive at 40 until he decides to move out on his own will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When I gave the california drivers license written test.
There was a question
Q. When merging on the highway, what should be your speed
1. Below speed limit
2. Above speed limit
3. Speed limit
4. As fast as traffic on highway

The correct answer was number 4

This is how laws are defined there w.r.t speed.
Going above the speed limit will get you pulled over, but only if you are doing it faster than others.

That said, the right lane is the overtaking lane. You are supposed to give way if you are going in right lane.
You are not a cop, You do not have the right to slow down somebody not obeying the law.
you should obey the law which says "Blocking the right lane is obstruction of traffic"
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
So even if the speed limit is 70 or mebbe 80kph, the "uncle drivers" must still vacate the right most lane so that the speed demons can break the rules and drive at a 100? I mean come on! I cant believe someone actually said that!

Reckless drivers are just that: reckless! People should stop using uncles or aunties as an excuse for their reckless driving.
We are currently in SFO for a training. My colleague who hired the car is a fairly antsy driver - he would rather be 10 mph slower than 1 mph faster. We merged onto Interstate 280 from a rural road (25-35 mph limits). My friend just did not speed up beyond 40 in the 2nd lane (when everyone was doing 70-80 on a 55 mph limit route. Within a km, we will pulled over by two cop cars for holding up traffic. In as many words he told us that "if you continue to drive like this, some truck would be in your backseat, and all you four would be dead. And it would be your fault. Believe me I have seen this a few times in my lifetime".

After that his gyan was exactly what Tanveer said
Old 4th March 2015, 11:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, here's how America and the western world looks at it:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226916377169
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03...ong-motorists/
It is currently an offence under the Motor Vehicle Act to drive at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal movement of traffic, without moving to the right. The fine is $109.

Washington state legislation also says a driver on a two-lane highway who has five or more vehicles lined up behind them must pull over where safe to let the vehicles pass, or face a US$124 ticket.
Old 4th March 2015, 19:47   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Within a km, we will pulled over by two cop cars for holding up traffic. In as many words he told us that "if you continue to drive like this, some truck would be in your backseat, and all you four would be dead. And it would be your fault. Believe me I have seen this a few times in my lifetime".
The concept applied here is "Flow of traffic". Anytime you are impeding this by either going much slower or much faster than the other traffic, you create a dangerous situation and attract Big Bo's attention.

Quote:
Washington state legislation also says a driver on a two-lane highway who has five or more vehicles lined up behind them must pull over where safe to let the vehicles pass, or face a US$124 ticket.
This rule is in force in many states in the US.

--------------------------------------------

Both the above are actually common sense, which is abundantly found on the roads in the US. That's because kids have to go to an accredited driving school and face a really tough driving test before they get their licence. Of course there are incidents of kids driving rashly killing themselves and their companions, but that's youth hormones kicking in, not ignorance of the law or lack of training.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, here's how America and the western world looks at it...to let the vehicles pass, or face a US$124 ticket.
Good news; in about 70-80 years we can see such law passed here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks