Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2005, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Totaled Swift at Expressway

Two days back, I was coming back from Lonavala with couple of my friends and saw a Black Swift Zxi Totaled.. It had slammed right into a Truck at high speed.. Nothing had happened to the driver. When asked he said the brakes suddenly gave up! Are the brakes of swift that bad?
I have booked a swift should i go ahead and Purchase it!? Please advise!

Last edited by v12 : 15th December 2005 at 14:10.
Old 15th December 2005, 14:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

This brake suddenly "gave up" can be two things.
1. Very high speed. Wheels lockup, rubber starts melting and you slide as if on snow. If the car had abs, it wont happen
2. Loss of pressure due to leak. Has happened to me. Luckily it was when i had just started I noticed it. Drove slowly to petrol pump and topped up the brake oil. Since the leak was small not much loss of oil over one night.

This leak can happen to any vehicle. A stone flying from the tyres is enough to do it.
Old 15th December 2005, 14:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
If the car had abs
It was a ZXI.... means it had ABS.
Old 15th December 2005, 17:59   #4
BHPian

Hi TSK

which oil ? Break Oil ? how to check that ? Also i have noticed rust on the break shoes; when asked to dealer he says it happens. Nothing to worry, is it true ?
Old 15th December 2005, 18:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which oil ? Break Oil ? how to check that ?
You'l find it under the hood. Read the cover before you fill anything, might confuse it with the power steering oil (if you car has Hydraulic PS).

Shan2nu
Old 15th December 2005, 19:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
You'l find it under the hood. Read the cover before you fill anything, might confuse it with the power steering oil (if you car has Hydraulic PS).

Shan2nu
Be verrry verrrrry careful. Brake Oil is extremely corrosive. It will be brownish in color. Moreover you brake oil reservoir will be marked so.
Old 16th December 2005, 01:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

A Swift ZXi is bought only for the extra safety -> ABS,twin Airbags and EBD(Electronic brake distribution).

How can brakes 'give up' in a car with all these ???

This is a controversial major topic of discussion.
Old 16th December 2005, 02:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

i would really like to know the real story.the brakes cant just give up theres got to be more to it.

Rev
Old 16th December 2005, 07:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its probably a brake oil leak, or did the driver not press the brake pedal fully on feeling the vibration on the pedal (ABS at work)?

Talking about the safety aspect...the guy survived without any injuries right? That too after smashing into a truck? Job well done. A pat on the back for the swift.

Drifter
Old 16th December 2005, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

even I agree. In some other cars, a crash like that would have meant death, or at least a serious injury.
Old 16th December 2005, 09:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

I just saw a Swift ZXi crashed right into the back of a parked lorry around the corner from Jaggu's office. Guy must have been doped out else ABS could have helped him steer around. Windscreen pillrs are now where ones nose would be.. Now imagine if it was a Zen......
Old 16th December 2005, 09:25   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Brake Oil is extremely corrosive. It will be brownish in color. Moreover you brake oil reservoir will be marked so.

Hi,

This is news to me. Are you sure as brake oil is used as an antiseptic by the common man to instant treat any cuts/injuries. Also some people use it to give a shine to rubber hoses, pipes and black unpainted bumpers.

Viper
Old 16th December 2005, 10:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the brakes will give up like that,if the oil was low due to a leak then the brake oil indicator would have lit up,if then also he was driving then he is mad.

it may be he may have not braked hard enough,to stop the car in which case he needs to buy himself the new S-class.
Old 16th December 2005, 11:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

In case of seal leakage, the loss of pressure is sudden. Have expirienced it myself. The rate of brake oil leakage is not the culprit in these cases, its air in the system.
Even after topping up the oil it took more than hundred jabs to get the brakes to an acceptable level. Even after that there was sponginess due to air trapped.
Old 16th December 2005, 12:25   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I just saw a Swift ZXi crashed right into the back of a parked lorry around the corner from Jaggu's office. Guy must have been doped out else ABS could have helped him steer around. Windscreen pillrs are now where ones nose would be.. Now imagine if it was a Zen......
hehe..guess he would have been much safer in a zen as in the zen would have just gone under the trucks posterior until it would have met the axle ..the swifts tall boy looks doesnt help here does it even with the ABS ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks