Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 13:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

This is an unique thread!
Wonder how I did not notice this thread so far!!

We own small farm lands scattered in Kollam Dist of Kerala which is now almost fallow for last few years. Only coconut is harvested.

Being a B.Sc. Agriculture graduate (currently working in an entirely different field), I had been planning to return to roots for some time. Hope I will succeed.

Glad to see very informative posts from experienced tbhiapns. I will be glued to this thread!
Old 30th September 2011, 08:00   #47
BHPian

Interesting thread. I believe I don't qualify to post on this thread , but what the heck anyways .

I am not into farming, i don't think i would get into it in the near future given the financial capital needed + the risk factors.
However as a get away from the usual city life, picked up a plot in a gated layout sold as farmland around 53km from Bangalore (Actually in TN). For now its just a little less than half an acre. In the process of building a weekend getaway cottage there.

Wondering if other people with like interests would like to share ideas/innovations you have done on similar farmhouses. These could be.
Type of fruit trees planted / landscaping / renewable energy sources Wind-Solar etc..

For now I have a couple of Silver Oak, Teak, fruit trees.

Ps: As of now its only for relaxation and unwinding, not income generating.

-Fillmore

Last edited by Fillmore : 30th September 2011 at 08:07.
Old 30th September 2011, 08:44   #48
BHPian

We own a small farm land in home town.. We have planted Rubber trees(tapping expected by next year for around 150 Trees) of around 700 nos. I have a good interest in farming and visits farm land in every alternative week. Presently working as an Electrical Engineer in MNC my interests has slowly shifted to farming for the last few years. If my plans where going right i will be fully concentrating only in farming after 7 years. We also own small no of Coconut Trees and Pepper(small amount can satisfy our needs).
Old 30th September 2011, 12:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post

Anybody with any experience in Ginger farming, would like to know more about this field. any stories there?
I am sharing an experience of mine but mind you, it is not to discourage anyone from Ginger farming.

My father tried out Ginger farming way back in early 80s. I remember the whole experience vividly. I was a school kid back then and my father took me along with him to a wedding at a village in Nanded district (Maharastra) and after the wedding we were provided sleeping area in the farm of the host where lot of farmers had gathered and the talk drifted to growing ginger. My father got interested, bought the seed Ginger the next day and we both lugged 2 gunny bags full of ginger with us home that night. Missing a bus and traveling by truck, reaching home very late in the night (My father asked me to guard the bags - all alone, dark night - while he went in search of some transport on the last leg of our journey ) made that journey memorable.

We planted the Ginger in 6-8 acres of land (Paddy fields) and everything went well and we were expecting a bumper crop except for some miscalculation by my father. It was first time for him and he did not harvest the crop in time, delayed the process by 2-3 weeks and kept watering the Ginger till end - there was some issue about the source of water as well, the water drawn from the well was itself not clean. As a result the whole Ginger became rotten and not even 1 kilo was usable. It was heart-wrenching incident and my father who was normally a very strong person was utterly devastated and after that he never tried his hand at Ginger farming. Even after 30 odd years people in my village still talk about the story. If my father was successful, I am sure many more farmers would have followed him and our area would have seen lot of Ginger farming. Alas it was not to be.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Guys, is anyone out here using a 'Rain Gun' to irrigate their farms/plantations? I stumbled upon it while looking for something on the net and it has raised my curiosity. I would like to know how it would be advantageous/disadvantageous over the regular irrigation (mainly sprinkler) systems. I have heard that it might be pretty expensive. Does anyone here know what would be the typical price range for a rain gun?
@Addy: Had seen these guns used in coorg. We bought them the past year and the reviews are good. Lesser time to irrigate as compared to a normal jumbo jet and one advantage is it covers more area too.

Cons: Expensive, If you have pepper wines it will hit it with a bit too much force.

Also the diesel pump set you use should be powerful for more than a single Rain gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Anyone out there tried Ginger farming?
My dad has started Ginger farming on a small scale near Mysore. He has got a full time manager who stays in the farm (around 7 acres) and my dad visits the place every now and then, and he loves to do that. This is his first year into serious farming and so we do lack on the experience front. To be honest everytime he goes there and brings photos of the farm, I am tempted to leave this corporate life and go live there, away from all the mad rush of the city.

Anybody with any experience in Ginger farming, would like to know more about this field. any stories there?

Ginger farming has become a bit famous in areas which used to cultivate paddy. The rain should be proper but should never cover the crop. The crop should be removed from the ground the day it is being sold else you will spoil the crop.

This crop is totally rain dependent. More is horrible!

Price wise its a good one, but fluctuating market always.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 14:16   #51
BHPian

Very interesting thread indeed. Unfortunately this field is restricted to people who have a family history with agriculture. Has anyone tried to approach DC for getting land converted? (even though it would be used only for agricultural purposes ...Its lame, but I believe there are no other options).
Old 30th September 2011, 14:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@Addy: Had seen these guns used in coorg. We bought them the past year and the reviews are good. Lesser time to irrigate as compared to a normal jumbo jet and one advantage is it covers more area too.

Cons: Expensive, If you have pepper wines it will hit it with a bit too much force.

Also the diesel pump set you use should be powerful for more than a single Rain gun.
Thanks maddy!! How much would the cheapest one cost? If it is going to damage pepper vines, it is going to be a problem. IIRC we have a 60hp modified tractor engine to pump water to the sprinklers. Would that suffice?

btw, Which brand have you guys got and how much did you have to pay for it?
Old 30th September 2011, 22:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
This is an unique thread!
Wonder how I did not notice this thread so far!!

We own small farm lands scattered in Kollam Dist of Kerala which is now almost fallow for last few years. Only coconut is harvested.

Being a B.Sc. Agriculture graduate (currently working in an entirely different field), I had been planning to return to roots for some time. Hope I will succeed.

Glad to see very informative posts from experienced tbhiapns. I will be glued to this thread!
indeed wonderful thread... your mention of scattered land holdings brings to me the more interestingly aspect. the difference between then huge land owners and the real Indian marginal farmer. well i do not mean any dis respect to the lucky ones who inherited 100s of acres across India.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks maddy!! How much would the cheapest one cost? If it is going to damage pepper vines, it is going to be a problem. IIRC we have a 60hp modified tractor engine to pump water to the sprinklers. Would that suffice?

btw, Which brand have you guys got and how much did you have to pay for it?
Just got off the phone with Dad.

The brand name is Jalpari. Comes to around 3000 bucks. One things he mentioned was the frame is made locally but the device has to be very carefully handled. Usual jumbo jets could be carried by one person but this would require 2 to reduce damage.

The machine is good if you have a huge water source, controls are awesome(for eg you can control the area the water hits). The time is saved in this, Usual Jumbo used to be used in 5 hr shifts and this one can do the job in 2.

If you have a lot of trees then this is a problem, Vines do get damaged but not to a crazy extent, Its the vine closest to the sprinkler which bears the brunt of it.
We have a 16hp motor so can let 2 of them run on it. So 60 hp could get 7 or 8(depends if you have a altitude problem though).

Let me know if your getting one.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Just got off the phone with Dad.

The brand name is Jalpari. Comes to around 3000 bucks. One things he mentioned was the frame is made locally but the device has to be very carefully handled. Usual jumbo jets could be carried by one person but this would require 2 to reduce damage.

The machine is good if you have a huge water source, controls are awesome(for eg you can control the area the water hits). The time is saved in this, Usual Jumbo used to be used in 5 hr shifts and this one can do the job in 2.

If you have a lot of trees then this is a problem, Vines do get damaged but not to a crazy extent, Its the vine closest to the sprinkler which bears the brunt of it.
We have a 16hp motor so can let 2 of them run on it. So 60 hp could get 7 or 8(depends if you have a altitude problem though).

Let me know if your getting one.
Thanks maddy. Is 3000 a typo? or is it 30k. I thought 3000 is too cheap for such a device. I've spoken to my dad. He says, he'll wait till Feb and then decide. I'll let you know in case I need to know something.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:26   #56
BHPian

My dad is an agriculturist, and he owns a estate in Coorg near Somwarpet. Also we have a farm near Coorg-Hassan border, we grow coffee, coconut, guava, Sapodilla (sapota/chikko) as income crops and bit of mango, custard apple, jack fruit, jambhul for home. Year by year basis, dad sometimes grows corn and ginger.

Very beautiful place with two hills side by side as a back drop, they are about 10kms away.
Old 4th October 2011, 07:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks maddy. Is 3000 a typo? or is it 30k. I thought 3000 is too cheap for such a device. I've spoken to my dad. He says, he'll wait till Feb and then decide. I'll let you know in case I need to know something.
Will confirm on that!

One thing which dad suggested is go for it now as this is not a season with ample rain. Feb is usually the time when Coffee irrigation occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
My dad is an agriculturist, and he owns a estate in Coorg near Somwarpet. Also we have a farm near Coorg-Hassan border, we grow coffee, coconut, guava, Sapodilla (sapota/chikko) as income crops and bit of mango, custard apple, jack fruit, jambhul for home. Year by year basis, dad sometimes grows corn and ginger.

Very beautiful place with two hills side by side as a back drop, they are about 10kms away.
Hows the yield of chikoo and guava? We got chikoo but on a small plot and thus yield gives us low income but we get to eat a lot of it.

Also somwarpet is one area in coorg which i long to visit! Never been there

Last edited by maddy42 : 4th October 2011 at 07:30.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:32   #58
BHPian

The yields are good. Its been about 20 years. So a lot of old plants. We are not exactly in the ghat side. It rains little less and is hotter where we stay even though its so close to the border. In coorg i dont know how the yields would be with more rains.

There are couple of resorts and home stays. People trek to Pushpagiri. Let me know if you want any info.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
The yields are good. Its been about 20 years. So a lot of old plants. We are not exactly in the ghat side. It rains little less and is hotter where we stay even though its so close to the border. In coorg i dont know how the yields would be with more rains.

There are couple of resorts and home stays. People trek to Pushpagiri. Let me know if you want any info.
Blue_V: Well yields from Chikoo are good. Get around 65 inches of rain and the yield for it is good.

Got a bunch of friends in the area. Will let you know if i plan something.

Anyone is into organic cultivation like earth worms?
Old 4th October 2011, 13:01   #60
BHPian

Dad and brother have tried it long time ago, but i dont think anyone is into it on a regular basis because cow manure and fish manure are readily available.

-----------

You are welcome to visit our farm if you come that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks