Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2017, 09:58   #1171
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Nice to see a book thread here. I've been gifted a kindle recently by my better half

I had been a heavy reader of fiction in my college days (arthur hailey, john grisham, agatha christie , fredrick forsyth, micahel crichton etc). Now with work & family, my attention is diverted to other interests like movies, video games, traveling etc. Nevertheless, with a kindle, I've actually 'rekindled' my reading hobby.

I've subscribed for kindle unlimited, and mainly reading the stuff there.

Recently done with Immortals of Meluha. It's a good one time read, and being deeply rooted in Indian mythology, its more interesting to read for an Indian.

Now onto some perry mason adventures. Finished two of them, and onto the third one. They are nice bed-time / light reading.

I have bought 'Annihilation' by Jeff VanderMeer on kindle store, yet to start though.

On my 'to read' list are:
'Annihilation' by Jeff VanderMeer
Detective by Arthur Hailey
The Name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss (yet to buy this one)
vint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 11:32   #1172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Exactly. I don't think the films were able to do any kind of justice to the book. One reason I felt was that both Da Vinci Code and 'Angels and Demons' were pretty deep into the ideas being discussed. Many parts required you to stop and think and maybe read again to connect things well. The film could not really translate that well......
I've always held the opinion complex books are best adapted to mini-series, not a single feature film. Plenty of time to pay attention to detail and nuance without compromising plot pace. But then it isn't as profitable I guess, and the majority probably doesn't care anyway
Old 14th December 2017, 12:04   #1173
BHPian

Completed recently:
Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
And then There Were None - Agatha Christie

Currently reading:
The Hungry Tide - Amitav Ghosh

On the desk:
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Old 14th December 2017, 12:40   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Completed recently:
Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
And then There Were None - Agatha Christie
Compelling books, all of them. Except for Heart of Darkness. Somehow could not connect to it.

Among my recently completed books:
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (Took lots and lots of time, holds it place in the list of world's longest books, but the effort of worth it)
  • Buddha and the Sahibs by Charles Allen
  • Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

And at present am on The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 14th December 2017 at 12:42.
Old 14th December 2017, 13:11   #1175
BHPian

After taking the subscription of Magzter Gold, I've stopped reading books.
There are so many Magazines (most I'd have never subscribed like N-Photo, Lonely Planet, many IT/Computer/business and what not) that I've no time to read novels/books.
Do anybody feel the same?
Old 18th December 2017, 06:48   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Except for Heart of Darkness. Somehow could not connect to it.
Heart of Darkness comes with the story-in-metaphors style dominating the writing. This is a marquee style of Conrad; however, he takes it too far in his Heart of Darkness. Some people don't like Heart of Darkness because of its overblown metaphorical style. I do like this particular style of writing - there are some brilliant sentences written in that book. Authors like Salman Rushdie borrow from this literary style; however, in my humble opinion, Rushdie's metaphors lack the polish of Conrad's.
Old 30th December 2017, 07:29   #1177
BHPian

Crime Fiction Lovers, some sad news today.

Sue Grafton has passed on.
She was the author of the Kinsey Millhone Alphabet series.
She said she would stop the series once she reached Z.
Her last book in the series was "Y" Is for Yesterday (2017)

As mentioned in her Wiki page, The timeline of the series is slower than real time. "Q" Is for Quarry, for example, is set in 1987 though it was published in 2002. This gave her the freedom to write crime novels without her characters using Cell Phones or the Internet.

Article of her passing away.

Here are a few links

Wikipedia
Amazon page

Last edited by Ithaca : 30th December 2017 at 07:30. Reason: Language editing.
Old 12th January 2018, 08:22   #1178
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I finished reading the hottest book on the Planet. Never before I have read a non-fiction that is more unbelievable than a fiction. It is a laugh riot, and while laughing hard I remember it is about the most powerful person in the world, and get terrified at the same time. And it is happening right now, the ultimate reality show/book. I won't post a review because there are 1000s of them on the internet.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:09   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I finished reading the hottest book on the Planet. Never before I have read a non-fiction that is more unbelievable than a fiction. It is a laugh riot, and while laughing hard I remember it is about the most powerful person in the world, and get terrified at the same time. And it is happening right now, the ultimate reality show/book. I won't post a review because there are 1000s of them on the internet.
Social media is full of opinions on this. I wanted to ask - is this really non-fiction? What is the position of the author of this book - I mean was he a part of Trump's team? Sorry but I read some of the stuff from the book and it seemed unbelievable.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:50   #1180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Social media is full of opinions on this. I wanted to ask - is this really non-fiction? What is the position of the author of this book - I mean was he a part of Trump's team? Sorry but I read some of the stuff from the book and it seemed unbelievable.
He was allowed to hangaround in the Whitehouse for most of the year. It feels very real to anybody who has closely followed the American politics. There is a very good correlation between what happened publicly and the inside stories written about it.

Steve Bannon was the most affected by the book release, yet he has not denied anything about the book. That says a lot.
Old 14th January 2018, 07:53   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He was allowed to hangaround in the Whitehouse for most of the year. It feels very real to anybody who has closely followed the American politics. There is a very good correlation between what happened publicly and the inside stories written about it.

Steve Bannon was the most affected by the book release, yet he has not denied anything about the book. That says a lot.
Haven't yet read this book, have been in two minds to read it. Didn't want to invest a few hours of my time, if is just a collection of plain gossip of the Drumpf world.
I saw an interview a few days back, where the author himself agrees that he is "not reporting, but telling a story". Also, that he sees a event/situation and talks to multiple people, and writes the "story" based on his "view of the truth".

One more to the reading list, thanks.
Old 18th January 2018, 01:12   #1182
BHPian

Just finished "The Force" by Don Winslow on kindle.
The Force by Don Winslow

This book was recommended by Vivek Kaul @vivek , a journalist I follow on Twitter.
He had a few threads in the last weeks of December 2017 with details of the best fiction, non fiction and other books he had read during the year.
This is what he tweeted about The Force
Quote:
Am currently reading Don Winslow's The Force,which Lee Child has called the best cop novel ever written.Great dialogue. Great set pieces. The opening of the book does remind me of an opening a film-script a film maker friend had told me about a few years back.
Blurbs by
Lee Child
Quote:
‘Intensely human in its tragic details, positively Shakespearian in its epic sweep – probably the best cop novel ever written’
Stephen King
Quote:
‘Mesmerizing, a triumph. Think The Godfather, only with cops. It’s that good’
The book was as advertised. A rollercoaster ride into the seedy underbelly of the NYPD.
Buy it and keep the weekend free for an action filled joyride.

Made a few more kindle purchases that I hope to go through the first quarter of 2018.

Next up
Trumpocracy by David Frum
The Death of Expertise by Tom Nichols.
The Cartel by Don Winslow
Old 18th January 2018, 01:16   #1183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Just finished "The Force" by Don Winslow on kindle.
Thanks for the recommendation. Is this a standalone book or part of a series ?
Old 18th January 2018, 01:25   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This is a standalone.

Book is brilliant and will keep you rooting for the lead character "Denny Malone", the leader of an elite unit who despite all his flaws aims to navigate a corrupt system that is out to make an example of him.
Old 18th January 2018, 01:51   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

The Force looks like a standalone book rather than a part of a series. The author does have other books which are a part of a series.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks