Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 16:47   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
I require 2 copies of the Oct 18th edition of Forbes India magazine. Any suggestions where i can purchase them in Bangalore?
I remember a similar situation that I was in long ago. Solution? Contact India Book House, who AFAIK are one of the biggest distributors of magazines across India. They had back copies of all on their distribution list.

Alternately, I guess you can directly write to Forbes. Some of the journals had details on how to get hold of their earlier issues somewhere near the editorial page.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 7th November 2013 at 16:55.
Old 7th November 2013, 16:54   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
I remember a similar situation that I was in long ago. Solution? Contact India Book House, who AFAIK are one of the biggest distributors of magazines across as India. They had back copies of all on their distribution list.

Alternately, I guess you can directly write to Forbes. Some of the journals had details on how to get hold of their earlier issues somewhere near the editorial page.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information

I will contact both Forbes and India Book House and see how it goes.
Old 8th November 2013, 14:51   #828
Senior - BHPian

I recently read this The Etymologicon .
Thoroughly entertaining, with a good bit of knowledge being shared, and good doses of humour as well. Recommended!
Old 8th November 2013, 15:50   #829
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Frederick Forsyth, The Kill List.
Wonderful Book. Vintage Forsyth. My, can he weave a tale!!!

Jeremy Clarkson's latest, "Is it really too much to ask?" - The World According to Clarkson.
Side-splittingly, irreverently, wickedly, gut-bustingly funny.
Old 26th November 2013, 15:22   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Sorry to quote myself (is it allowed?)

Been thinking after I re-read this post and also a request for book suggestion for 12 & 16 year olds (was it Eddy?), that what was the first war book I read?

The earliest I can remember are -

a. 'Where Eagles Dare' and 'The Guns of Navarone' by Alaistar MacLean (didn't enjoy 'Ice Station Zebra' as much).

b. 'The Eagle has Landed' by Jack Higgins.

Going backward, I can remember only the 'Commando' comics with the 'Spitfires' and 'Messerschmitts'!

Guess this may be suitable for 12 & 16 year olds - if it helps.
The other big one is the Biggles series. It started off at WW1 and to WW2 and had ample dosage of Camels and Sopwithpups. Truly entertaining and kids would love it. I got me the entire collection on Kindle now
Old 9th December 2013, 15:54   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
The other big one is the Biggles series. It started off at WW1 and to WW2 and had ample dosage of Camels and Sopwithpups. Truly entertaining and kids would love it. I got me the entire collection on Kindle now
I read The Kill List recently. Yes he can sure spin and weave. Read all his books till now (got them both in print and more recently e-editions).

Ahhh... the Biggles series! Used to love them way back in school/college. Like you I've got most of them on my Ipad now. And talking of school, any Billy Bunter (the Fat Owl) fans around?
Old 9th December 2013, 20:16   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Totally agree. Read this recently. Amazing how he can weave a gripping tale from a very basic story line.

Also read a few other books
King and maxwell by David baldacci. Good pass time read. Liked the climax. Generally like all his books.

Sycamore Row by John Grisham. Better than some of his recent efforts. But no where near some of his classics.

The devil colony: James Rollins. Typical action mixed with techno scientific jargon. Again enjoyed it.

Also read all of Ravi Subramaniams books. Good reads.
Old 9th December 2013, 21:33   #833
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
So glad to find a fellow Biggles fan. I cut my eye teeth on Sopwith Camels and 'Archie' and all the rest of it. Hero worshipped Biggles, Algy, Bertie, Ginger and the other various characters!
Lovely books indeed.

The Biggles books started me off on a lifetime's passion for War machinery, war museums and a love of flying too.

Over the years since 1980, courtesy my Mum, I have pieced together a very large part of the 98 odd books written by Capt.. W.E. Johns.

My collection now has around 85 titles, some first editions of rarer titles which I sourced in odd little bookshops in London and several small country towns in England and a few in Australia, many from India from libraries about to shut down, some from road side second hand book stalls, some brand new re-prints etc.

I have not bought these on Kindle yet. Are all the titles available on Kindle?

I also love Louis L'Amour Westerns and have collected every single book he ever wrote - again collecting them right from 1980 onwards.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th December 2013 at 21:36.
Old 12th December 2013, 21:39   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not what I would call vintage Forsyth. Where is the character build up?where are the idiosyncrasies associated with people? The book reads like a movie script which needs to wrap things up in 120 min
Old 13th December 2013, 04:48   #835
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Not what I would call vintage Forsyth. Where is the character build up?where are the idiosyncrasies associated with people? The book reads like a movie script which needs to wrap things up in 120 min
Point well received. It's a bit like one of the newer potboiler Jack Higgins books. Higgins was a first class writer till the late 1980's. After that, these last twenty years he has been steadily losing the plot.
Unfortunately this whole Islamic based terrorism thingy is being done to death now. I enjoyed the Cold War ones better somehow but sadly for the thriller writers, all that went out the window after perestroika and glasnost etc!
Old 13th December 2013, 13:58   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Higgins was a first class writer till the late 1980's.
+1 that

Quote:
I enjoyed the Cold War ones better somehow but sadly for the thriller writers, all that went out the window after perestroika and glasnost etc!
I still go back and read 'Tinker,Tailor,Soldier spy' 'Little drummer girl' and 'Spy who came in from the cold'
Old 13th December 2013, 14:46   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So glad to find a fellow Biggles fan. I cut my eye teeth on Sopwith Camels and 'Archie' and all the rest of it. Hero worshipped Biggles, Algy, Bertie, Ginger and the other various characters!
Lovely books indeed.

The Biggles books started me off on a lifetime's passion for War machinery, war museums and a love of flying too.

I also love Louis L'Amour Westerns and have collected every single book he ever wrote - again collecting them right from 1980 onwards.
Add me to the Biggles fan list. I read most of them in middle school in the first half of 70s.

And yes, I'm a Louis L'Amour fan too! Add Max Brand and Fredrick H Christian/ Oliver Strange to the list of westerns!
Old 13th December 2013, 22:10   #838
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Add me to the Biggles fan list. I read most of them in middle school in the first half of 70s. And yes, I'm a Louis L'Amour fan too! Add Max Brand and Fredrick H Christian/ Oliver Strange to the list of westerns!
Yes. I ve got all the Sudden books too. Add Asterix and Tintin. I'm a hardcore fan of these two series as well. Then comes James Herriot, Dick Francis, the immortal P G Wodehouse et al...
Old 17th December 2013, 10:24   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I ve got all the Sudden books too. Add Asterix and Tintin. I'm a hardcore fan of these two series as well. Then comes James Herriot, Dick Francis, the immortal P G Wodehouse et al...
Great to see Sudden appear suddenly here. I grew up on some of these and they changed the shape of many of our lives.

Louis L'Amour was probably one of the greatest in wild west classics. I also did enjoy J.T.Edson - Dusty Fogg and gang series. While it sounded fairly typecast, it still was written very well. I always wanted to posses a Bowie Knife, there is still time

I also managed to get the entire collection of Wodehouse. It is such a brilliant set of books. My wife still catches me laughing away and wonders what is happening. I tell her about the cow creamer's disappearance or the Empress sleeping in her sty and she asks me what is so funny

Of course some of the kiddy books were Williard Price - Adventure series

I also believe that Kill List is probably not as great as some of FF's earlier books. It is still a fairly cinematic book. Also, the Afghan, Cobra et al were not as great as the earlier ones such as Deceiver or Icon. There is a build up, humour such as that of old man Nigel Irvine and intrigue.
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:43   #840
BHPian

Team, one of my close relatives has written and published a thriller novel - 'The Steradian Trail'. Its available in sites like flipkart and amazon.

Request you all to read the book and give your reviews in the public domain which will definitely help. This novel is the start of a series of 3 novels.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks