Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 16:06   #766
Senior - BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Very long time I read a big fat book by a russian author....
I wish I could tell you more about the book.
Have you found the name of the book? You should try reddit's Tip of my tongue (TOMT) subreddit. I have seen many such forgotten books/songs/movies being found based on a short description like you have given.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:19   #767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Have you found the name of the book? You should try reddit's Tip of my tongue (TOMT) subreddit. I have seen many such forgotten books/songs/movies being found based on a short description like you have given.
Not yet. I tried this Reddit, but this is a russian book translated into English during the 1970s.
I don't think I will find it. But I still remember the story vaguely
Old 10th June 2013, 18:21   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks for this information. I just got and read 'The Incredible Banker' after seeing this post. Great book. Really enjoyed it. Unfortunately looks like Kindle Edition of other titles mentioned are not available. Need to check in my local library.
If you are member of "Just Books" in Bangalore both "If God was a Banker" and "Bankster" are listed in their online catalogue. Even if it is not available in your local branch, place a request through the kiosk in the branch and you should get it soon. I have not used other library chains in Bangalore.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:21   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
If you are member of "Just Books" in Bangalore both "If God was a Banker" and "Bankster" are listed in their online catalogue. Even if it is not available in your local branch, place a request through the kiosk in the branch and you should get it soon. I have not used other library chains in Bangalore.
Thanks. I am a member of Justbooks. Will check if it is available in my local branch.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:57   #770
Team-BHP Support

In the last few years, I have been hearing murmurs about the dark side of Mother Theresa. But I had no specifics, and Indian media never says anything negatives about her.

Recently, I heard about a book about her, from an author I really admire, the late Christopher Hitchens. I was surprised to note that The Missionary Position was written back in 1995, when she was considered almost saint like. It really takes Hitchens level guts to take on something like this.

As he says in the beginning, he tries to judge her reputation by her actions and words, instead of judging her actions and words by her reputation. Surprisingly, he doesn't reveal any secret documents or testimony. Instead, he entirely uses news items and letters and testimony available to all. You can't dispute any of his sources, since they are public record. You can only disagree with his interpretation, which is very hard to do when you look at the public evidence he draws upon.

Here is the link to the book, so that you don't end up at obvious wrong links.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...onary_Position
Old 19th June 2013, 16:46   #771
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading 2 books back to back - Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie and The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.

Shalimar the Clown:
I decided to purchase this book based on the review written by Oxy in post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3133926 - though I won't say the portrayal of the Indian Army is brutal or real enough. There has been much more....but that is not within the scope of this discussion. I loved the book - my first Rushdie book and his language is amazing. At sometime in the beginning of the book, I thought the author was hallucinating - such was the suddenness of the story in some sections.

And as Oxy said, the actual story is only part of the story. There is so much more. And Rushdie describes Kashmir beautifully - with loving affection. And then tears it all down.

I loved the book!

The White Tiger:
I thought this book was savage. Savagely written, brutal. People who close their eyes and ears to the sufferings of "second-class" citizens - our "servants", "drivers", "watchmen", "dog-walkers" etc will hate this book because it will hold their heads and turn it towards these citizens - to their plights and hardships. I wasn't really astonished by the story but it was well written. Another good book. But maybe because I read it just after Shalimar the Clown, it was an easy read.

Glad I bought these books!

Next - Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:46   #772
Oxy
BHPian

^^ Shalimar was my first Rushdie as well. Was mesmerised with his writing style. Glad you liked the book.
Old 24th June 2013, 23:24   #773
Senior - BHPian

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

This is the second time i am reading this book but it does not feel that way. Probably because the first time i read it, I was too young, too naive, too immature for it.

But this time around, I am actually able to see the book for what it is and what it is not. It is a love story on the surface but Greene brutally keeps scratching that surface throughout the book to reveal deeper conflicts with great intensity.

It is sad that Jab Tak Hai Jaan took only the superficial story from the book. That is why, when you read the main scene in the book, and watch it in the movie, you will cry both times. First time, for the painful emotions portrayed in the story and the second time, for the brutal murder of something so beautiful.
Old 25th June 2013, 05:57   #774
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Anyone who likes The Mystery and Thriller genre, should try reading any of Martin Walker's books.

Easily available on Flipkart, Amazon and the ubiquitous Kindle, these books are a celebration of the French Countryside, a riot of descriptive detail and a wealth of fine gourmet cuisine, all washed down most tastefully, with the finest varieties of France's favourite tipple...

Lovely books indeed.

I would go so far as to dub Martin Walker as the Peter Mayle of Crime...
Old 25th June 2013, 23:23   #775
BHPian

Dystopian fiction suggestion: Hugh Howey's 'Wool' (omnibus ed.) followed by its sequels 'Shift' (currently reading) and 'Dust'.

Highly recommended science fiction / fantasy suggestion: Dan Simmons' 'Hyperion' and its sequel 'The Fall of Hyperion' (almost brought me to tears by the end of this).
Old 26th June 2013, 11:16   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Recently, I heard about a book about her, from an author I really admire, the late Christopher Hitchens. I was surprised to note that The Missionary Position was written back in 1995, when she was considered almost saint like. It really takes Hitchens level guts to take on something like this.
My friend recommended this book around the time it was published. But my point was there would be no value addition to me. If someone has been praised, it is that person's perspective. Same with someone being derided - it is again just a perspective. I never read biographies for that reason - prefer historical accounts. That too only when I can get two opposing point of view at the same time

Btw the only autobiography I read was "The moon is a balloon" - A hilarious one by the one and only David Niven. Probably the only autobiography to become a best seller!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Next - Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.
I loved Midnight's Children. The best is the twist about the identity of the protagonist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
Thanks for the heads-up. Been years since I read a Greene book. The last was 'The power and the Glory" - the one about the Whisky Priest! It was in college in 90s that I last read a Greene. Monsignor Quixote was my introduction to Greene - that was a riot!!
Old 26th June 2013, 11:50   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
MIf someone has been praised, it is that person's perspective. Same with someone being derided - it is again just a perspective.
You are saying that the kid who cried "Emperor has no clothes" is merely giving his perspective, just one more among many. There would be no value addition to you. Hmm.

I would read the book before passing judgment.
Old 26th June 2013, 12:00   #778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My friend recommended this book around the time it was published. But my point was there would be no value addition to me. If someone has been praised, it is that person's perspective. Same with someone being derided - it is again just a perspective. I never read biographies for that reason - prefer historical accounts. That too only when I can get two opposing point of view at the same time
You have a point. But then more than 90% (I just picked a number. I meant most of them) of books are some one's perspective. Is'nt it? (Save the historical accounts and autobiographies).

But the main point, which I think you point to is; By all means one should read a book; but in the end should not merely add the author's perspective as his own. In other words not just get brainwashed by the book. He should re-evaluate/ratify his thoughts based on the same.

Last edited by ampere : 26th June 2013 at 12:01.
Old 26th June 2013, 12:43   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are saying that the kid who cried "Emperor has no clothes" is merely giving his perspective, just one more among many. There would be no value addition to you. Hmm.

I would read the book before passing judgment.
I was not passing judgement - not saying whether the book was good or bad. But with a biography, or a critic of a public person - it generally tends get lopsided. That's why I don't like to read them. Apart from that the title of this particular book was sort of 'meant for attention grabbing' - that too put me off. Yes you are right in saying, I should not comment on the book before reading - I was just saying why I don't read biographies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You have a point. But then more than 90% (I just picked a number. I meant most of them) of books are some one's perspective. Is'nt it? (Save the historical accounts and autobiographies).
I would think it is the other way round. Historical accounts and biographies are just someone's perspectives of reality. In terms of fiction - I can detach myself from my reality, my perspective, my likes and dislikes and hand over myself to the author and live through the author's viewpoint, with a knowledge that he is not making a judgement on something that has really happened. I can read a Dosteyevsky and a Turgenev side by side. Or even attempt a Sartre and Ayn Rand at the same time!! (attempt, cos I hate both of them)

Anyway...Let there be Peace
Old 26th June 2013, 13:37   #780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But with a biography, or a critic of a public person - it generally tends get lopsided. That's why I don't like to read them. Apart from that the title of this particular book was sort of 'meant for attention grabbing' - that too put me off. Yes you are right in saying, I should not comment on the book before reading - I was just saying why I don't read biographies
It is not a biography at all. It is a brief treatise on the hype about Mother Teresa. But book stores have classified it as biography for lack of appropriate category. Christopher Hitchens was the kid who cried out loud.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks