Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 17:38   #1006
Team-BHP Support

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Read "White Man Falling" by Mike Stocks a while ago. Not anything groundbreaking but I found it good fun for a light read.

Goodreads reviews here for anyone interested.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th October 2015 at 17:41.
Old 26th October 2015, 14:45   #1007
BHPian

I recently read 2 of Keigo Higashino's books.,
1. Malice
2. The devotion of suspect X (the movie Dhrishyam is based on this, the book is much better though).

Both the books are top class and gets you hooked from first page. No wonder Keigo is called Stieg Larsson of Japan.
Old 8th November 2015, 13:23   #1008
BHPian

Completed "Apprenticed to A Himalayan Master" by Sri M.Started "The unbearable lightness of being" by Milan Kundera.
Old 8th November 2015, 23:20   #1009
BHPian

Amazonia - James Rollins

Sci-fi in general, techno-thriller involving the streams of Biology,Botany,Medicine .

Crichton's fans would find this author very appealing !
Old 10th November 2015, 14:23   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent read anything for a long time now, but recently started reading for my own research.
Started with Albert speer's "Inside the third reich".

Its much much different from anything else on hitler because it documents his actions as a person. I'm up so far to 1942, and its pretty engaging once youre willing to get past the initial few 50-55 pages.
Old 20th November 2015, 17:59   #1011
BHPian

Read Janson Option by Paul Garrison. I would put it a 2/5 esp since it comes from the Robert Ludlum shelf. Janson Directive was quite a brilliant book, of course not comparable to the likes of Materese Circle. Of late, the books coming out of Ludlum stable has been pure drivel. Such a shame that an author like Ludlum is now linked to such books. I also disliked the Covert series. Way too much action without an intricate plot
What say ?
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:49   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Copy Cat?

I am Tom Cruise fan. So, probably for the fifth or sixth time, watched Jack Reacher.

(If you haven't read the book, and don't know about the series written Lee Child featuring Jack Reacher, you'll like the movie).

Getting to the point, after watching the movie, I went back to the book (One Shot). And reading it after seeing the movie was even better - I could visualize some of the scenes better (by relating it to the movie).

Now the climax -

The plot appears to be uncannily similar to The ABC Murders of Agatha Christie (written about 50 years back)?

Looks like Lee Child could have been 'inspired' by Agatha Christie?
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:07   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Read Janson Option by Paul Garrison. I would put it a 2/5 esp since it comes from the Robert Ludlum shelf. Janson Directive was quite a brilliant book, of course not comparable to the likes of Materese Circle. Of late, the books coming out of Ludlum stable has been pure drivel. Such a shame that an author like Ludlum is now linked to such books. I also disliked the Covert series. Way too much action without an intricate plot
What say ?
Well, Janson directive came from the master himself. His last(?)
I dont understand why Ludlum's name is kept being used to push out books that have no relation to the way he used to write.
I did try one such, one of the bourne things by Lustbader, but you read a ludlum, because of ludlum. If it was only for bourne, anybody can put stuff out. Just dont call it a "Bourne, Ludlums creation".
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:17   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Currently reading 'Kill List' by frederick forsyth. Story line is not very tight but it is keeping me engaged constantly. Finished half of it in one go and today might finish the rest.

Still have Sidney Sheldon's Chasing tomorrow to start. Written by Tilly Bagshawe under Sidney sheldon's publication.
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:27   #1015
BHPian

These days i do lot of audio-books while driving and makes my driving pleasure. Currently listening to "In the Heart Sea".
Also on paper back i am into fourth book of Clifton chronicles by Jeffrey Archer . Amazon gave the first book free and i had to buy the rest four books
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:06   #1016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
These days i do lot of audio-books while driving and makes my driving pleasure.
Nice to see this! Have been at it for years now. I assume you use Audible?
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:00   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice to see this! Have been at it for years now. I assume you use Audible?
yes audible , If you have amazon US account u get so many free audio books these days . But i got some really good audio books like gone girl , dark places , only time will tell and room.
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:38   #1018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
yes audible , If you have amazon US account u get so many free audio books these days . But i got some really good audio books like gone girl , dark places , only time will tell and room.
I have been an Audible member even before it was taken over by Amazon. I am a platinum member and finish my two credits quite regularly.
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:47   #1019
BHPian

haha great ....once u get use to listening its a different ball game. My wife says how can you listen to a book being read and i say the other way around .
Old 2nd February 2016, 20:04   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Well, Janson directive came from the master himself. His last(?)
I dont understand why Ludlum's name is kept being used to push out books that have no relation to the way he used to write.
I did try one such, one of the bourne things by Lustbader, but you read a ludlum, because of ludlum. If it was only for bourne, anybody can put stuff out. Just dont call it a "Bourne, Ludlums creation".
Agree fully. I somehow feel it slightly unethical to still use the authors' name even after he is dead to promote something that is not even remotely related to him. Don't know what Ludlum himself would have felt at the industrial scale at which "his" novels are being printed out.

Regarding Bourne, my all time favourite is still the first one, The Bourne Identity. Even the master himself could not surpass himself in the next two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks