Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 09:11   #991
BHPian

Scion of Ikshvaku by Amish Tripathi

Hello there,

Just finished Scion of Ikshvaku by Amish Tripathi.

Was somewhat disappointed by the way the plot was being developed.

No complexities. Totally unlike his earlier books.

Seems like he is taking us for granted.

Or perhaps he is writing children's books now.
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:10   #992
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Hello,
At the moment looking for some new authors in murder mystery, courtroom drama or suspense thriller. Any suggestions most welcome. please note the usual suspects (Sifney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer, Lee Child, David Baldacci etc.) have been completed. Have a 300+ book library so you can understand

Will await your suggestions. Thank you in advance
Have you read Raymond Chandler?

If no: Chandler has also written novellas. You can read them first and see if you like him, before moving on to his novels.

You can also Google Raymond Chandler quotes for samples.

Chandler is in a league of his own.
Old 23rd August 2015, 11:56   #993
BHPian

Read one of my favourite books yet again

The Old man and his God by Sudha Murthy

A must read as per me!
Old 26th August 2015, 16:12   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am basically into murder mysteries, would suggest any time to pick Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner and my recent discovery of "Keigo higashino" books. An amazing Japanese writer - Malice, Devotion os suspect X and Salvation of saints are some of his gripping and enthralling page turners.

At the moment looking for some new authors in murder mystery, courtroom drama or suspense thriller. Any suggestions most welcome. please note the usual suspects (Sifney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer, Lee Child, David Baldacci etc.) have been completed. Have a 300+ book library so you can understand

Will await your suggestions. Thank you in advance
I am in a similar boat as you - have you tried Mary Higgins Clark?
Some of her books are average, but some are worth the read.
Old 26th August 2015, 17:37   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey Buddy,

try http://www.literature-map.com/ and put your favorite authors name and it will give you authors similar to that genre. Infact the vizualization is quite cool (sorry i'm a reporting guy too )

From Erle Stanley Gardner, i got referenced to A.A.Fair (pseudo name of Erle) and have just ordered whole of his Lam and Cold Series (28 books). Expecting to get delivered tomorrow and i know what i am going to do this weekend
Old 26th August 2015, 17:57   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
try http://www.literature-map.com/ and put your favorite authors name and it will give you authors similar to that genre. Infact the vizualization is quite cool (sorry i'm a reporting guy too )
Wow, thanks for the link! Works for music and movies as well. Interesting!
Old 26th August 2015, 20:02   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Have you read Raymond Chandler?

If no: Chandler has also written novellas. You can read them first and see if you like him, before moving on to his novels.

You can also Google Raymond Chandler quotes for samples.

Chandler is in a league of his own.
Thank you Sir. Looked him up. Sounds interesting. Will be my next author post i finish A.A.Fair series.
Old 26th August 2015, 20:11   #998
BHPian

Just finished "House of Silk" by Anthony Horowitz - A Sherlock Holmes Novel

Believe i read it for the second time, nothing can beat or be even close to the original but Anthony's attempt are good. He describes the old London quite well (a bit over done as per me).

The book keeps a hold on you till the very end however it becomes all too obvious in last couple of chapters.

Nevertheless a good and easy read.
Old 26th August 2015, 23:58   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Buddy,

Thanks for the link bro!

Visited the site - and it is pretty neat! Will be checking out some of these authors and ordering a few books soon!
Old 27th August 2015, 00:03   #1000
Team-BHP Support

Asura was quite an interesting read. The author, Anand Neelakantan, has penned another couple of books AJAYA : Epic of the Kaurava Clan - Roll Of The Dice & Rise of Kali - Duryodhana's Mahabharata.

Any feedback on the two ?
Old 28th August 2015, 10:29   #1001
BHPian

Just finished "The bigger they come" by A.A.Fair (Pseudo name of Erle Stanley Gardner).

Written in 1939 the book is gripping yet easy to read. Finished it in one go last night.

Without spoilers, the whole story finally boils down to one law loophole which allowed a murderer to walk free even after a confession.

Understand, the law loophole was true back then and since then has been rectified. Based on what i read on wiki.

Hats Off to Erle on the books simplicity and the plot, just when you thought you know what's happening is when a twist comes and there are enough to keep you glued.

Will recommend to anybody who likes thrillers, mystery or lawyer detective kind of stuff
Old 29th August 2015, 10:40   #1002
BHPian

Read two of AJ Cronin's novels, "Shannon's Way" and "Beyond This Place".

Shannon's Way is the sequel of another work Green Years. The standard Cronin formula continues (Protestant/Catholic divide etc) but enjoyable all the same if you like Cronin's works.

Beyond This Place is a very different one altogether, more or less keeping away from the standard Cronin flavoring and more on the lines of a murder investigation. Very enjoyable. The 1958 Dev Anand Madhubala starrer Kala Pani was based on this novel.

On the topic, one other Cronin novel made it to Bollywood. The Dev Anand Hema Malini 1971 film "Tere Mere Sapne" was based on Cronin's best selling The Citadel.
Old 17th September 2015, 21:59   #1003
BHPian

Vivek Ahuja's Chimera; Was planning to read this from a long time since there are not many books on Indian Military Fiction and at last got to read it, Kindle unlimited's Courtesy.
Coming to the book, it is a total military thriller dealing with all kinds of hardware and weapon systems with a little political background or narrative [ for which I was interested]

"a must read' for Military fiction lovers but too technical for novices like me !
Old 18th September 2015, 12:27   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you don't mind my saying so, 'most' of the books are average but 'some' are good!

Quote:
From Erle Stanley Gardner, i got referenced to A.A.Fair (pseudo name of Erle) and have just ordered whole of his Lam and Cold Series (28 books). Expecting to get delivered tomorrow and i know what i am going to do this weekend
Quote:
Just finished "The bigger they come" by A.A.Fair (Pseudo name of Erle Stanley Gardner).

Written in 1939 the book is gripping yet easy to read. Finished it in one go last night.

Will recommend to anybody who likes thrillers, mystery or lawyer detective kind of stuff
Hi, KD007. Your post made me nostalgic. Perry Mason was a favourite character of mine in student days.

And since you appear to interested in the book, these were my favourite authors those days -

1. Alistair Maclean (Where Eagles Dare is a classic - better than Guns of Navrone)

2. Desmond Bagley

3. Edgar Wallace

4. Leslie Charteris (The Saint - The stick figure with a halo on its head!)

5. James Hadley Chase (The World in My Pocket, The Joker in the Pack, Tiger by the Tail, There's a Hippie on the Highway, The Vulture is a Patient Bird, Hole in the Head, Knock Knock Who is there?, Goldfish have no hiding place - see, I remember all these names after 40 years !!)

6. If Ken Follet and Wilbur Smith are not among your usual suspects, you can add them!!
Old 7th October 2015, 17:32   #1005
BHPian

Read A case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammad Hanif. A hilarious fictional account woven around General Zia's death. Every page filled with humour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks