Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 19:49   #976
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Aargh, I still have War and Peace unfinished. I bought the volumes from a guy on FB for a very good price and just couldn't get through more than a 100 pages or so. Perhaps a better idea to try on the eBook reader. Maybe, just maybe I will get it done.
I was exactly in the same situation December last year. Carried the book wherever I went for close to 4 months, and having read only 100 pages I decided to buy Kindle Paperwhite. Still it took me painstaking 6 months to finish it.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:15   #977
BHPian

Reading now Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang. Amazing book on China's factory towns and migrants. Eye opener on the factory conditions and exploitation of migrants and for why India should not (Can't) follow the Chinese model of growth.
Old 7th July 2015, 12:50   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ok since the mods deleted my post where I shared the link to my ebook collection, anyone who wants to check it out can message me.

sigh !
Hello Crazy,
Just now PM'ed you pl check.
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:22   #979
BHPian

I have been an avid reader from my school days. I had a great appetitie for reading, yet I am unable to read much after marriage and children.

Now trying to read when I get the time. Thinking of buying the Kindle Paperwhite hoping it will spur me on.

Recently read the following:
The Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda
The Best of O. Henry - O. Henry
Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne

Currently reading:
Treasure Island - R.L. Stevenson

Next up:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:41   #980
Senior - BHPian

I didnt know about this thread until today! Nice to see some book affinacados here.

I have been a voracious reader ever since my dad introduced me to this hobby during my 7th standard as a method to improve my english. Over the years our (me, dad and sister) have accumulated close to 500-600 books to what we call as our library!

Most recently I finished story of ikshvaku by Amish Tripati. This is on similar lines to his earlier works (story of nagas and the likes). Right now I am reading Ken Follet's Edge of Eternity which deals about the class struggles and empowernment in US. Its been a slow read for me due to work pressures but plan to complete it soon.
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:16   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ok since the mods deleted my post where I shared the link to my ebook collection, anyone who wants to check it out can message me.

sigh !
Hey friend, please check out my pm !
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:56   #982
BHPian

Finished Proof of Heaven by Dr.Eben Alexander. This is about a Neurosurgeon's real journey into the after life. I have read so many books on 'near death' experiences - usually from laymen. Here a highly rated neurosurgeon shares his real life experience.

A favorite book on my shelf is the 'Most effective Natural Cures on Earth' by Dr. J.Bowden - a real treasure which dispels so many common myths about health.
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:10   #983
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I didnt know about this thread until today! Nice to see some book affinacados here.

I have been a voracious reader ever since my dad introduced me to this hobby during my 7th standard as a method to improve my english. Over the years our (me, dad and sister) have accumulated close to 500-600 books to what we call as our library!

Most recently I finished story of ikshvaku by Amish Tripati. This is on similar lines to his earlier works (story of nagas and the likes). Right now I am reading Ken Follet's Edge of Eternity which deals about the class struggles and empowernment in US. Its been a slow read for me due to work pressures but plan to complete it soon.
Did you read Fall of Giants and Winter of World too? These are part 1 and 2 of trilogy before Edge of Eternity.

Part 1 is from era around World War 1, part 2 describes events before and during WW2, and Edge of Eternity is from cold war era.

When I started reading Fall of Giants, it was a slow reading for me also and I kept the book aside for more than six months in between. However once I picked it up again I finished all three volumes in around one month’s time.

In my opinion, from modern authors, only Ken Follet can write such an epic and comprehensive story. These three books tell a story which involves threads and lives of multiple characters for more than three generations, across multiple nations, connecting logically with prominent historical events and keeping it interesting and lively.

It is right up there with classics in my opinion.

So far I had not found anybody who had read any of these three parts - I came across your post mentioning Edge of Eternity and felt delighted.

Regards,
JLS
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:17   #984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
So far I had not found anybody who had read any of these three parts - I came across your post mentioning Edge of Eternity and felt delighted.

Regards,
JLS
I have (all three), and they're lovely books. A bit disappointed with Edge of Eternity though for skipping over some really important historical details, but understandable from a narration perspective. Sometimes even 1300 pages aren't enough to cover everything in an era!

Follett has two other epics worth a read if you're an aficionado (and haven't already read these), Pillars of the Earth (set in 12th Century England) and World Without End (set in 14th Century England). The kind of socio-politico-economic detail he's weaved in and his ability to keep numerous threads together over such a long narrative is phenomenal.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd July 2015 at 21:21.
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:18   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you read Fall of Giants and Winter of World too? These are part 1 and 2 of trilogy before Edge of Eternity.

Part 1 is from era around World War 1, part 2 describes events before and during WW2, and Edge of Eternity is from cold war era.

Regards,
JLS
I was not aware when I bought this book that its part of a trilogy else would have bought all three together. Thats why I am thinking of parking this book aside until I buy and read the other two. Never knew that I have a fellow Follet admirer here. Most of them dont like his books as its too boring in their words.
Old 24th July 2015, 14:04   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have (all three), and they're lovely books. A bit disappointed with Edge of Eternity though for skipping over some really important historical details, but understandable from a narration perspective.

Pillars of the Earth (set in 12th Century England) and World Without End (set in 14th Century England). The kind of socio-politico-economic detail he's weaved in and his ability to keep numerous threads together over such a long narrative is phenomenal.
I loved Fall of Giants. But I couldn't finish Winter of the World. Need to get back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I was not aware when I bought this book that its part of a trilogy else would have bought all three together. Thats why I am thinking of parking this book aside until I buy and read the other two. Never knew that I have a fellow Follet admirer here. Most of them dont like his books as its too boring in their words.
Hehe, yeah many of my few book-reading friends don't like reading Follett either. Some even say that he is too romantic and writing is too "womanish"

Love the Pillars of the Earth. That is an amazingly well written saga.
Old 24th July 2015, 18:36   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, from modern authors, only Ken Follet can write such an epic and comprehensive story. These three books tell a story which involves threads and lives of multiple characters for more than three generations, across multiple nations, connecting logically with prominent historical events and keeping it interesting and lively.

It is right up there with classics in my opinion.

Regards,
JLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Follett has two other epics worth a read if you're an aficionado (and haven't already read these), Pillars of the Earth (set in 12th Century England) and World Without End (set in 14th Century England). The kind of socio-politico-economic detail he's weaved in and his ability to keep numerous threads together over such a long narrative is phenomenal.
Good to see Ken Follet fans here. I have read every single one of his books. The century trilogy was pretty good, but 'Pillars of the earth' and ' World without end' were extraordinary. 1000 pages each. Brilliantly written.

Also love the fact that he can switch to thrillers easily. Books like Eye of the Needle and Third twin are very good. Most authors stick to the genre that they are good at.
Old 24th July 2015, 20:41   #988
JLS
BHPian

I had read Pillars of the Earth way back in 2001. Liked it but did not get much impressed with it ( probably my taste was different then !). Still recall the story line regarding church building and architecture, and also the story touched crusade I think.
Needs a re-read - will put it in a queue

Regards,

JLS
Old 24th July 2015, 22:11   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Good to see Ken Follet fans here. I have read every single one of his books. The century trilogy was pretty good, but 'Pillars of the earth' and ' World without end' were extraordinary. 1000 pages each. Brilliantly written.

Also love the fact that he can switch to thrillers easily. Books like Eye of the Needle and Third twin are very good. Most authors stick to the genre that they are good at.
Thumbs up for The third twin. The first thriller I read when I was a kid. Hammer of Eden followed.

Thanks for reminding me about him. I'm going to look up these books.
Old 21st August 2015, 21:18   #990
BHPian

Hello,

Just finished

Asura by Anand Neelkantan - The story of ramayana from view point of ravana

Scion of Ikshvaku by Amish Tripathi - The first of three book series on Ramchandra

It was interesting to read both back to back and have a view and perspective from both the parties involved.

Not providing spoilers but there are few things in both the books which is contrary to what we have heard or seen in the TV series Ramayana.

Never the less, mythological fiction is interesting. Just one thing missing from my view point, the authors should have provided the references used (i know it's fiction but still would have been good to deep dive)

I am basically into murder mysteries, would suggest any time to pick Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner and my recent discovery of "Keigo higashino" books. An amazing Japanese writer - Malice, Devotion os suspect X and Salvation of saints are some of his gripping and enthralling page turners.

At the moment looking for some new authors in murder mystery, courtroom drama or suspense thriller. Any suggestions most welcome. please note the usual suspects (Sifney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer, Lee Child, David Baldacci etc.) have been completed. Have a 300+ book library so you can understand

Will await your suggestions. Thank you in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks