Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2014, 22:48   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Close shave! Card number and cvv number are never to be disclosed. Not even to the bank staff.
Isn't that incorrect? Except credit card number, no other information should be disclosed, no?

I have not used customer care service of my HDFC credit card in a long time. But if I remember right, they always ask for credit card number, then phone number and address for verification.
Old 27th May 2014, 01:34   #1577
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Isn't that incorrect? Except credit card number, no other information should be disclosed, no?

I have not used customer care service of my HDFC credit card in a long time. But if I remember right, they always ask for credit card number, then phone number and address for verification.
No
They ask you to key in your card number using IVR. They have it on their screen anyways.
If you get a call from bank and then it asks for card number, run away
Old 27th May 2014, 07:13   #1578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

Never. They have other ways of authentication - registered email or phone number. At max they ask for last 4 digits.
Old 28th May 2014, 16:26   #1579
BHPian

Additional details for verification are sought only in case you do not have a TPIN / Phonebanking PIN to self-vaildate yourself while calling in and seeking any confidential information on your own relationship.

They calling you and seeking personal details should alert you
Old 28th May 2014, 17:11   #1580
Oxy
BHPian

Whenever I needed to call the HDFC customer care, they always asked for the card number, followed by mobile number and address. But they never called me up and asked for my card details.

However, when I call the Citibank customer care, I need to enter my card number on the IVR.

There were a few fraud transactions that happened on my HDFC card so I got it cancelled about a year ago. No idea if things have changed since.
Old 28th May 2014, 18:13   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Whenever I needed to call the HDFC customer care, they always asked for the card number, followed by mobile number and address. But they never called me up and asked for my card details.
Some time back, I was in an HDFC Bank branch, to change the email address to which they send the credit card e-statement (it was coming to my work email ID, and I wanted it to come to my personal email ID). The staff member there dealing with me made me write a letter on a plain sheet of paper. When he saw that I had written down my customer ID and the last 4 digits of my card number, he became insistent that I put down the full card number. I flatly refused to do so - told him they can look up anything they want based on my customer ID.

This was in mid-February. It is now nearing end of May. The email ID has not been changed (4 statements since then). I have come to the conclusion that not having my full card number on a sheet of paper is the reason.
Old 28th May 2014, 18:25   #1582
BHPian

I do not think that merely writing the complete card number by itself should be much of an issue unless you are giving validity details and CVV number. Even Standard Chartered people occasionally ask for full card number.

In citibank of course the entire thing is to be done on IVRS.

Slightly offtopic, Citibank Indian Oil card is easily the best credit card for all tbhp members!
Old 28th May 2014, 19:10   #1583
Senior - BHPian

That is correct, it is a non issue. Every month thousands of cheques are dropped in obscure drop boxes all over the World with the complete card number on the front and the card holders name and mobile number on the back side of the monthly payment cheques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
I do not think that merely writing the complete card number by itself should be much of an issue unless you are giving validity details and CVV number.
Old 29th May 2014, 10:57   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Some time back, I was in an HDFC Bank branch, to change the email address to which they send the credit card e-statement (it was coming to my work email ID, and I wanted it to come to my personal email ID). The staff member there dealing with me made me write a letter on a plain sheet of paper. When he saw that I had written down my customer ID and the last 4 digits of my card number, he became insistent that I put down the full card number. I flatly refused to do so - told him they can look up anything they want based on my customer ID.

This was in mid-February. It is now nearing end of May. The email ID has not been changed (4 statements since then). I have come to the conclusion that not having my full card number on a sheet of paper is the reason.
Try the form here.Just print this and put it in the drop box. Should be done quickly. I got my billing address updated within a week after I dropped the form.

Last edited by arsudarsan : 29th May 2014 at 10:58. Reason: Put hyperlink for wrong text.
Old 29th May 2014, 12:36   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Got a mail from Citibank that their tie up with Diners club is getting over so after 15th June balance of Diners club card will be shifted to other Citibank CC.

Till now Diners club card was free of cost for me and It was great to get free lounge access at Airports.

Does ICICI or anyone else offer Diners club card or alternatively how is the free lounge access story with Mastercard Platinum or Visa Platinum ?
Old 29th May 2014, 13:14   #1586
BHPian

Anyone facing issues with using Citibank IndianOil card? For the last 3+ months, my regular pumps(All on or near Bannerghatta road) are not accepting it saying server is down.Some pumps even has a notice stuck saying citibank cards are not accepted due to 'server issue'
Old 29th May 2014, 13:17   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think that merely writing the complete card number by itself should be much of an issue unless you are giving validity details and CVV number.
Actually - an e-commerce transaction requires 100% match of card number, expiry date and CVV2. Name & address are fuzzy-matched or even not matched at all. CVV2 is a 3-digit number that can be shoulder-surfed easily (I memorize it and scratch it off the surface of the card). Validity is commonly three years, so if one is watching card issue deliveries one can make a good guess of expiry as well. So I prefer to keep my card number to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Try the form here.Just print this and put it in the drop box. Should be done quickly. I got my billing address updated within a week after I dropped the form.
Well, I was upgraded last month to "Preferred" status, which means - as far as I can see - yellow-themed Netbanking interface and a (shared?) account manager. He has promised to sort it out for me.

Quote:
Slightly offtopic, Citibank Indian Oil card is easily the best credit card for all tbhp members!
Very much on-topic, and discussed here in the past. Works only in IOCL & IBP pumps so suboptimal - HDFC & Axis (and possibly others) have cards that work at all pumps (Works => no extra charges).
Old 29th May 2014, 13:41   #1588
BHPian

Exactly dear fellow. Unless a fraudster can get your CVV and spend significant time watching card delivery patterns, merely having the card number by itself will not be useful. Credit card number patterns are public information, anyone can generate card numbers using a computer and a lot of them will be valid card numbers at any time.

For the CB-IOC card, if one can plan well, they can actually make good use. I spend around 11,000 pm on petrol and other stuff, so around 400 pts come to me every month. In every six months i get a tankful free Always use those for holiday runs.
The fact that it binds you to IOC is also good because you tend to stick to known petrol pumps. Out of Delhi it is quite a nightmare though. Which is why the other card I have is IndusInd which is zero surcharge card if you buy in 400 to 4000 rs range (enough for tankfuls) when i am out of Delhi. The good part with that card is I can redeem my points to pay of credit card bills, so every 1 pt I earn is equal to 75 paise cash! Roughly 75p back on 100rs i spend.
Old 29th May 2014, 16:44   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly dear fellow. Unless a fraudster can get your CVV and spend significant time watching card delivery patterns, merely having the card number by itself will not be useful. Credit card number patterns are public information, anyone can generate card numbers using a computer and a lot of them will be valid card numbers at any time.
On the contrary - I think the card number is the toughest of the three to get hold of, surreptitiously. I routinely try to make note of expiry/CVV2/PIN of people in the same checkout line as mine; as most PoS locations don't have adequate amount of safety measures (I can even make note of card numbers if I wish to). As of now, I consider the only real safety to be (a) I have all chip and pin cards, and (b) I have scratched off the CVV2 from all my cards.

Quote:
The fact that it binds you to IOC is also good because you tend to stick to known petrol pumps. Out of Delhi it is quite a nightmare though.
At least with their dealer network, I thought IOCL would be easier to find on the countryside. That is empirically true for my out-of-Bangalore runs. In Bangalore I think the preference is generally for Shell pumps. In my daily commute route, the most reliable pumps are a BPCL and an HPCL. The IOCL ones - two on Old Airport Road, one at Yemalur and the other at Kodihalli - both have pretty awful reputations. So I prefer having the flexibility. YMMV.
Old 29th May 2014, 16:53   #1590
BHPian

PoS based card frauds can take place anywhere, any day so only solution for that is constant vigilance. If a person is shoulder surfing, obviously card numbers will be hardest to remember. 16 digits pattern are not easy to remember if you are shoulder surfing, sheer tension is very high.

I agree on out of petrol pump part. I went through the list of IOC pumps with Citi machines and outside of NCR, the options made me cry. Since I drive around 2000 km in Delhi monthly, it works a good deal for me. For out of Delhi, have to rely on IndusInd though.

I have a Standard Chartered Rewards card, once I was planning to reduce its limit to 10000 rs only and keep it in car for extreme emergency but then I came to know that it gets fuel surcharge as extra payable so i dropped the plan. Anyway leaving a credit card in car is not the best idea. Prefer to keep some cash hidden in car for emergency needs.

Last edited by Mohitkumaar : 29th May 2014 at 16:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks