Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 16:43   #3076
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Never thought I would be able to get such comprehensive and expert information about Credit Cards also, but Team-BHP family continues to surprise me, even after 13 years of being an active member!

Coming to my request, I have the following cards with me currently:-
  1. Citibank IndianOil (Visa)
  2. Citibank Rewards (Visa)
  3. Standard Chartered Super Value Titanium (Mastercard)
  4. HDFC Visa Allmiles

The Citibank IndianOil one is the latest one, but seems like it isn't much of a benefit over SCB SV Titanium.

More and more of my transactions are cashless these days, and I use card payments for the following services:-
  • Fuel (Around 8k per month)
  • Dining-Out (Mostly fast food chains, not premium hotels or alike)
  • Utility Payments
  • Groceries at local stores (Not chains like Reliance or Easyday)
  • Online Shopping
  • Kids' school fee payment!

My mantra is that wherever card payment is accepted, I tend to use it!

Only major payments in cash are loan EMIs. Basically, I try to use limit cash transactions to the minimum - only where I cannot use a card or PayTM, do I opt for payment in cash. I average around 8 lakhs in total card payments annually and going by the usage pattern, this is only going to increase over the years.

I'm planning to reduce my cards to 3 (2 for me and 1 for use by wife) and maximize points amongst them. Going through the last 25 pages in the thread, it seems like American Express or Diners club would be the most beneficial for maximum points. Also, since these would not be the primary cards, so even if they are not accepted everywhere, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Looking for experts' opinion on which particular card to apply for depending upon the usage pattern described above - looking for maximum points, cashback or merchant offers.

Much thanks for your help and guidance!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Experts,

Looking for your advice on my queries above.
We have an AmEx executive visiting our office campus tomorrow and any advice would be really helpful.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 7th March 2019, 17:15   #3077
BHPian

Not sure which card to have is good (I use Axis MyZone CC), but I have been using an app called 'Cred' to pay credit card bills. Gives me rewards every month (2-4 movie tickets, Zomato Gold, etc.)

I think it is worth checking out.
Old 7th March 2019, 17:34   #3078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have an AmEx executive visiting our office campus tomorrow and any advice would be really helpful.
Looking at your usage, it seems most vendors you go to won't accept AmEx: esp. local grocery stores. Unless you have a primary Visa/MasterCard, don't go for AmEx. I'd imagine the same with Diners.
Old 7th March 2019, 17:48   #3079
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Looking at your usage, it seems most vendors you go to won't accept AmEx: esp. local grocery stores. Unless you have a primary Visa/MasterCard, don't go for AmEx. I'd imagine the same with Diners.
There is a workaround for that.

Use your Amex/Diners card to transfer money to your PayTM account. Then pay with PayTM.

Nowadays even roadside paan shops accept PayTM.
Old 7th March 2019, 18:30   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Use your Amex/Diners card to transfer money to your PayTM account. Then pay with PayTM.

Thanks for the advice!

So, should I retain the current cards?
Even otherwise, the AmEx is going to be a 4thcard and I'll retain atleast one Citibank and Standard Chartered card with me.

What about payment on portals like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, etc? I read somewhere that Amazon has started accepting AmEx now and even offers EMIs on the same. A hefty amount of my shopping is online only.

The AmEx executive on phone said that I'm eligible for AmEx Platinum Visa card. Does AmEx offer cards in Visa or mastercard? I checked their portal and Platinum has very high annual charges. Will the AmEx Gold or Membership Rewards cards also be available in Visa? If yes, will there still be a problem in using them at non-AmEx swipe machines?

Sorry for so many questions!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 7th March 2019, 18:38   #3081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, should I retain the current cards?
Even otherwise, the AmEx is going to be a 4thcard and I'll retain atleast one Citibank and Standard Chartered card with me.
Having a SC/Citi card will help at places AmEx isn't accepted.

Quote:
What about payment on portals like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, etc?
Yep, AmEx works; been using it on a few online portals.

Quote:
Does AmEx offer cards in Visa or mastercard?
AmEx is a competing, independant payment gateway like MasterCard and Visa, and also an issuing bank. So, there can't be an AmEx card on another payment gateway (MC/Visa).

Quote:
I checked their portal and Platinum has very high annual charges.
First year will be free, next 5k or 10k, I don't recall exactly.
Old 7th March 2019, 21:05   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Having a SC/Citi card will help at places AmEx isn't accepted.

Yep, AmEx works; been using it on a few online portals..................
Thanks!

So, which one of the AmEx cards should I get - the 'Membership Rewards' one or the good old Amex Gold?
Old 8th March 2019, 12:05   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

So, which one of the AmEx cards should I get - the 'Membership Rewards' one or the good old Amex Gold?
I have two AMEX cards
. The bare bones Gold since 2000
. Indian Airlines (now Air India) Gold Charge card that I got when I was travelling a lot and got 25% discount on IA tickets.

I also have two Visa crds.

Here is my take on AMEX
. Amex Gold is a Lifetime Free card with no annual charges.
. Amex charge card has an annual fee.
. In case you travel a lot Amex has a Travel card and a Jet card. Both have an annual fee around 10K, but you get lounge access and a whole lot of other goodies.
. Indian Oil has a cashback scheme for Amex cards which I use.

Most Online merchants accept AMEX, and as mentioned, you can always transfer to PayTM using Amex and then pay - I do that a lot. Amazon, Grofers and BB have promotions for various Bank Cards - Amex, HDFC, ICICI, Axis etc from time to time. It varies from 5% to 15% and I have availed the facilities for most of my purchase.

In short Amex is accepted at most places, but you need a Visa or Master Card for instances where it is not.
Old 8th March 2019, 12:11   #3084
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diners acceptance is on par with Visa and Master card.
Old 8th March 2019, 13:40   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have two AMEX cards
. The bare bones Gold since 2000
. Indian Airlines (now Air India) Gold Charge card that I got when I was travelling a lot and got 25% discount on IA tickets.................
Thanks for the advice Aroy!

So, I'm guessing, I should be able to make use of the 10X/5X rewards promotions from time to time as I do transact online a lot.

Will give it a go for an year and see how things pan out.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 8th March 2019, 17:26   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Be sure to check the T&C of the card issuer for this. A lot of banks are now not giving reward points for wallet load transactions (paytm, mobikwik etc). HDFC for one sure doesnt (diners included).
Old 8th March 2019, 17:39   #3087
BHPian

Guys,
Which is the best card to get for getting lounge access across domestic and international airports?
Old 9th March 2019, 12:01   #3088
BHPian

I'm not an expert with Credit cards but I have a HDFC Regalia which has about 10 free domestic lounge access. Not sure about the international ones though.

Also, to the experts here, my aforementioned Regalia card also allows me a Club Vistara Silver membership. I read somewhere that we're supposed to apply for it. Is this membership any good? I checked the routes they fly and they're not really along the routes I frequent. So is it any good having a membership there for the sake of it? I'm not even sure if they charge any amount the 2nd year onwards for the Silver membership.
Old 9th March 2019, 16:39   #3089
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I'm not even sure if they charge any amount the 2nd year onwards for the Silver membership.
Yes; only the first year is free. Not just the Silver on Club Vistara, you also get first year free on Taj Epicure Plus. Never got around to using either, more so because my preferred chain is Marriott.
Old 15th March 2019, 19:58   #3090
Oxy
BHPian

The clowns at Yes Bank have decided to downgrade the features of my Yes First Preferred credit card. I saw an email from them which says the following:

Effective 15th of April, the following features on your card will be revised:

1. Reward Points Accrual

Existing - 8 reward points per INR 100 on all retail spends.
Revised - 8 reward points per INR 100 spent on Travel Agencies and Tour Operators, Domestic Airlines and Dining. 4 reward points per INR 100 spent on all other categories.

2. Interest Rate on Revolving Credit, Cash Advance and/or Overdue amount

Existing (for YBL Savings/Salary account holders) - 1.99% per month
Existing (for non-account holders) - 2.75% per month

Revised (for all customers) - 3.50% per month

So this card goes out of my usage list as well. Time to put every expense on my AMEX Platinum Travel card wherever it's accepted, and the StanChart Super Value Titanium elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks