Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 13:16   #2941
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
I called Standard chartered executive today and ordered a replacement card which will be delivered within a week, free of cost.
Update: I have received my replacement card yesterday in exact 4 days from registering my complaint. Need to set my pin/password and I am good to go.

Need confirmation on a recent incident where I was approached by SBI credit card promoters in Ambience mall Gurgaon, where they took all details like current card statement, Aadhar card, PAN details etc. for SBI elite credit card. The only thing which I didn't like was they took printout of my current Standard chartered Manhattan credit card. I thought with my current replacement the details might changed like expiry date or cvv. Is this is a general practice to take the details of current cards for providing new credit cards. I have not received any card and its been more than a month now.

Edit: While I was in Bangalore 2 weeks back for some official work, I saw a SBI credit card promotional counter on airport and I checked with them about my application status. He checked using my PAN number and confirmed it is under process. Not sure why I haven't got my card yet. Is there any online portal where I can check those details.

Last edited by roby_dk : 18th September 2018 at 13:19.
Old 18th September 2018, 21:12   #2942
BHPian

I typically deface the CVV number and remember or write in coded form. I forgot the CVV number of my Citibank card and requested replacement. I have been issued replacement card yesterday. PIN number remains same. Two odd things:
1. The card is thinner than usual and the CVV number is stamped (depressed) into the card. So it’s imprint can be seen on the front. It’s almost discernible. I have defaced it anyway on the reverse.
2. It’s a contactless card. Today the Delhi Metro ticket gate could not read my Metro card through my wallet. I had to remove the card and present it directly. There seems to be interference from the contactless card.
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:29   #2943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There seems to be interference from the contactless card.
Convenience comes at a cost.
FYI-be aware of the risks of carrying contactless cards un-shielded in public spaces.

Sharing an old link: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...ud_risk_which/
Old 23rd September 2018, 23:20   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Convenience comes at a cost.
FYI-be aware of the risks of carrying contactless cards un-shielded in public spaces.

Sharing an old link: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...ud_risk_which/
Thanks for highlighting this threat.

One point caught my attention in the linked article.
Quote:
Limited details of the last 10 transactions were also exposed.
I thought media in credits cards are read only. Are transaction details written into the card?
Old 24th September 2018, 00:02   #2945
BANNED

Quote:
I typically deface the CVV number and remember or write in coded form. I forgot the CVV number of my Citibank card and requested replacement. I have been issued replacement card yesterday. PIN number remains same. Two odd things:
1. The card is thinner than usual and the CVV number is stamped (depressed) into the card. So it’s imprint can be seen on the front. It’s almost discernible. I have defaced it anyway on the reverse.
2. It’s a contactless card. Today the Delhi Metro ticket gate could not read my Metro card through my wallet. I had to remove the card and present it directly. There seems to be interference from the contactless card.
Get an RFID blocking sleeve and it wont be an issue. Or just keep the cards physically farther away.
Old 24th September 2018, 20:40   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
I thought media in credits cards are read only. Are transaction details written into the card?
Valid observation. I don't have an expertise in this field.
I have read that the NFC has a random token number that is used during the validation process. But unsure if the transactions themselves are written on the card.
Old 9th October 2018, 17:11   #2947
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone using the SBI IRCTC Card? It says upto 10% on AC fares [excluding 3rd AC]. Just a bit wary about the "Upto" part.

I spend around 2k a month on train fare.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:16   #2948
BHPian

I have a CITIBANK (Shoppers Stop) co branded card. This incident is of 3rd Oct 2018; I went to redeem points on my card for a purchase. I was told that I had only 3000 odd points only, I told them that I had spent a lot of money in the past one year; SS customer service at the outlet said I should check with CITI

I called up Citi and they said they will get back to me. Yesterday i was informed that I redeemed some 30000 odd points were redeemed on the card (Citi got a notification from SS)

I have in turn called SS customer service who state that it is Citi's issue and vice versa; unfortunately I feel there is some foul play in all this. I have spent upwards of 3 lacs this year and without redemption I have only 3000 points.

I have no clue, how I should take it to the next level and give both these companies a sound hiding.

Let me know if there is anyone I should take this up with or anyone who has gone through the same situation.

I remember in 2017 November, I redeemed some 6000 points that I had on my card for a purchase. There
Old 10th October 2018, 12:32   #2949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I have a CITIBANK (Shoppers Stop) co branded card.
Is this a lifetime free card or chargeable. Chances are, some points were used toward the renewal fee. Ask both Citi and SS for the points statement.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:58   #2950
BHPian

Its a free card - Gold Card Citibank

I have just asked them about the statement, will update.

Charges, cannot be without intimates i reckon.
Old 10th October 2018, 19:15   #2951
Senior - BHPian

The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
I have a CITIBANK (Shoppers Stop) co branded card.
I have in turn called SS customer service who state that it is Citi's issue and vice versa; unfortunately I feel there is some foul play in all this. I have spent upwards of 3 lacs this year and without redemption I have only 3000 points.
What's the procedure to redeem points on a co-branded card in-store? Who really maintains the points - Citibank or Shoppers stop? That would give some clue on whose fault this is.
If redemption can be done using just OTP to mobile number, it could be a case of some foul-play at shoppers stop.

I have always found shoppers stop reward program is a bit flaky. Couple of personal experiences:
1. Long back, Citibank issued me a shoppers stop co-branded debit card on their own. I never really used it to shop (I prefer credit cards), but once I tried using it in-store and found out that it is not recognized by their system.
2. Around a year back, store personnel made me apply for rewards account (had shopped above a certain amount) using my mobile number. It was fine for few months (I could give my number at checkout and earn points). Then one fine day in another store, they said my mobile number is not recognized anymore! I went to the store CS and found out that my account's information was overwritten with some one else's details, including address, mobile etc! They could somehow see the history and link it back to my mobile number. I had to show an earlier SMS with masked account number to link it back.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 10th October 2018 at 19:18.
Old 11th October 2018, 09:54   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a CITIBANK (Shoppers Stop) co branded card. [...]
Let me know if there is anyone I should take this up with or anyone who has gone through the same situation.
That card is a poorly managed one. SS seems to me is on the lookout to scam holders. I used to have one, but ended up in the same situation as you; eventually threw it at the store manager of SS in Soul Space Arena and cancelled my membership in the program itself. Now I feel "liberated", not tied to any one brand's loyalty programme.

Citi like all banks have robust processes to transfer earned points to SS. The problem is almost always at SS's end.
Old 11th October 2018, 11:32   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That card is a poorly managed one. SS seems to me is on the lookout to scam holders. I used to have one, but ended up in the same situation as you; eventually threw it at the store manager of SS in Soul Space Arena and cancelled my membership in the program itself. Now I feel "liberated", not tied to any one brand's loyalty programme.

Citi like all banks have robust processes to transfer earned points to SS. The problem is almost always at SS's end.
For over ten years I have avoided getting the SS City card, though every time I visit them they try to push sale. Now I am happy that I did not get one. What I have is the normal SS card which just accumulates points which I redeem once in a while.

In general in my experience co-branded cards have very little utility compared to normal cards, and unless you spend a lot on say fuel, where co-branded card gives more points, it is all the same. For examples I have a Snapdeal HDFC card, but most of the time the deals on Snapdeal are for the HDFC card and rarely any thing special for the Snapdeal HDFC card.

Actually I get the maximum points with my AMEX charge card.
Old 11th October 2018, 20:29   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In general in my experience co-branded cards have very little utility compared to normal cards, and unless you spend a lot on say fuel, where co-branded card gives more points, it is all the same.
I 100% concur. Apart from the First Citizen card (my experience of which I documented above), I had also held a Jet Airways co-branded card from Citibank. This too was quite a bad idea since I rarely fly Jet at my own cost.

What happened was that I kept accumulating JP miles and those miles kept expiring. Finally my Citibank relationship manager himself suggested getting a Premier Miles card; and now it is quite a good value proposition (I get 5-6 sectors worth of free tickets every year because of my spend on this card).

I have not held a fuel card ever; all my fuel fills are on HDFC Regalia now. And apart from these three categories, I have never even considered taking a co-branded card.

Last edited by binand : 11th October 2018 at 20:33.
Old 11th October 2018, 20:40   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have not held a fuel card ever; all my fuel fills are on HDFC Regalia now. And apart from these three categories, I have never even considered taking a co-branded card.
Try getting one then! And as per your requirements (my assumptions: of you not being limiting yourself to one brand and in this case OMC), go for the SC Super Value Titanium card. I am enjoying this card's benefits which help me save around 5% cashback (worthwhile to note: not points but cashback) on fuel spends.

Also, regarding JP Miles, you can redeem them for Etihad as well, but your Citibank RM has also suggested a good card.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks