Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 15:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Credit Card Thread

Hi,
I was issued with a HSBC Gold credit card last Nov, 2006. I was promised as It will be a LIFETIME Free credit card, (annual charges will waived ).
Nothing is mentioned in welcome kit. This was promised on phone call.
Till this day I haven't used this credit card.

Sept -20 -07 I got a SMS from HSBC saying - Outstanding on your card ************** 9 on 18-Sep-07 is 0.00

Today 21-Nov -07 i do get a SMS from HSBC saying - Outstanding on your card ************** 9 on 17-NOV-07 is 2247.20. Pay full or min amt due of 112.36 by 10-DEC-07.

Now my greviance is why have they charged me their annual charges, when I haven't used the card even once, also It was a free gold credit card.
Now I want to cancel this as well as cancel my credit card.

I called the customer care number, but i'm getting an automated answer as "This facilty is not registered with your card blah blah.. "

How do I go ahead with this.
Thanks in advance
Old 21st November 2007, 15:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Best way is got to their office and shout at top of your voice..

If anybody is owning a card (your friends/colleagues) try using their card number and ask them to speak to the customer care executive and then you take over from there on and yell at them. This is the common complaint in each and every credit card. I did the same thing (yell at cost.care exe) for citibank card and they correct the mistake. . Have no mercy during yelling as they will pester us during our meetings for buying their product.
Old 21st November 2007, 15:57   #3
BHPian

For bangalore the number is 25589696

Dont use the option of quick access.. Just punch in for english and i guess there is option 0 or 8 to talk to customer care executive.

U blindly say i want to cancel the credit card as all other cards i have are lifetime free.. the executive will say call after 4 days and will give u the status about ur card being made lifetime free..

This is how i got my HSBC gold card lifetime free .. they waived off my annual fees and made it life time free..
Old 21st November 2007, 16:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

yelling at customer care will not do any good, you better go to the bank and start yelling and create a scene in front of other customers. This will deter them and consider your complaint seriously. Trust me this works, i have tried it couple of times with good effect.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Same problem here. They gave me a free card, then presented me with a bill. I have discontinued the card henceforth.
DO NOT take HSBC credit cards.
The only free credit cards I have seen in market(except for the newly introduced ones are)
1. One time payment. For example Stanchart. Pay 3500rs or so, your card is life time free(Gold)
2. HDFC Titanium etc., - Maintain a good bank balance, they will give you CC
3. Public sector banks - If its free, it will be written in brochure, no nonsensical bait and switch.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st November 2007 at 16:10.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2007, 16:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

did u recieve thier dongle and stuff, which allows you to log onto the website.
If yes, check what exactly have you been charged for.

Walk into any of the HSBC branches.
be a lil patient, go early in the morning.
dont get angry or rude.

ask for a clarification.
when you get a lot of BS from them ask them for what written proof as you will need it when you speak to your lawyer and email to the ombudsman.
also ask for the email of the ombudsman as you dont remember it, all banks need to display it on a notice board.

usually gets most banks into line.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2007, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys,
Yep that's my next step to be follwed.
Any other ideas ?/ Procedure ?
Old 21st November 2007, 16:15   #8
BHPian

Just YELL at the customer care.
Even I was promised a free card,delivered but did not use the card for a year and one day i get a message on the mobile that the amount due is 3XXX. Wondering what it could be, since I have not used the card, logged into e-banking and found that they have charged me the "annual charges" + interest on delayed payment+ further interest. Was upset and screamed at the call centre executive who politely promised to reverse it immediately without any resistance, though initially she said "your company is not listed". I am sure they are trying their luck on the charges and for most people who use the credit cars a lot they might miss out on these small amounts. What ever comes in is a Bonus.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Same problem here. They gave me a free card, then presented me with a bill. I have discontinued the card henceforth.
Hi tsk,
How did u discontinue the card ? Did you pay the outstanding amount ?
Or just broke the card into 4 pieces and mailed them ?
Old 21st November 2007, 16:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Hi tsk,
How did u discontinue the card ? Did you pay the outstanding amount ?
Or just broke the card into 4 pieces and mailed them ?
I called them up, told them that their business practice sucked. They were defensive and waived of all the charges, and then I cancelled the card
Old 21st November 2007, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am one of the happy customers of HSBC Credit Cards. I am using it for the last 2.5 years.
I got it as one year free but subsequently every year my annual charges get waived. Whenever I see the charges (once a year) in the statement I call the customer care and tell them to make it free. And they waive it without even hesitating (May be it is my primary card and I use it mainly ), Now they told me that they made it lifetime free.

StanChart is another good one in the list as tsk told, I got one free Reebok shoes and paid Rs 3000 and got this Gold Card life time free. I rarely use the card. You will get bills only when it is used and there is no more hassle in that.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 21st November 2007 at 16:37.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
You will get bills only when it is generated and there is no more hassle in that.
That sounds good.
Quote:
Whenever I see the charges (once a year) in the statement I call the customer care and tell them to make it free. And they waive it without even hesitating
I do the same thing, still have that HSBC card and do not pay the annual charges.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

But its not right, that you have to call to get charged waive off!
When they say free card, it should be free. I don't need to call other banks every year and tell them to waive of my charges.
They should be upfront, that the card is not free, you need to get charges waived off.
This is shadow business practice, like citi where they enrolled everybody on a non free insurance automatically and you had to call to opt out!
Old 21st November 2007, 16:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But its not right, that you have to call to get charged waive off!
No Tanveer, I didnt buy a free card initially, it was only one year free. But I have not paid a penny since last 2.5 years. During my second waiver call, they told me that they will make it lifetime free...SO hopefully I should not be charged next year...lets see

Abhi
Old 21st November 2007, 16:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

heck, i've been using my HSBC Gold for 5 years now and paid up the annual charges like a nice guy each time! Now I'm going to tell them to make it free as well! What the heck, no harm trying!

Most Viewed