Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 12:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

You have two options:

1. You can "disown" inheritance if you so wish. But in that case you will lose loans as well as all assets left behind. ( if total credit liabilities are greater then assets)
2. Otherwise you will have to settle dues with bank

I am not a lawyer, but this is what an acquaintance was told in a similar situation. Credit was not due to Credit cards, but due to personal loans.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Better to pay up now before the interest charges/late payment fee start piling up on the accounts. If they have already put in charges/late payment fees, you can try negotiating with the banks to waive them off given the extraordinary circumstances.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:53   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
My father was using 5 credit cards.Unfortunately he passed away last august.We have submitted the necessary documents to all (Death Certificate).But now they insist on paying the balance outstanding amount. ICICI people have even thretened to take legal action against us. Are we liable to pay them as we did not sign any documents or have not committed anything.
Don't know about the situation in India but in most western countries (including the USA) you don't have to pay a single cent if a parent dies and leaves a credit debt. Most often they will have left behind some property and/or other assets, so estate duty and outstanding debts will be deducted from this before the heirs inherit the rest. If the parent leaves no assets, there's nothing the banks can do - they will simply have to write off the debts. This should be the situation in India too, but consult a lawyer before paying anything.
Old 4th April 2008, 21:28   #94
BHPian

I recently bought a deutsche credit card. When they gave the card they told there is a 2.5% cash back on petrol. I used that to fill petrol for 500 rs, later I didn't get any cash back for the amount. When I contact the Customer support they told it is only points and not the cash back. I know that for every transaction we will get points but they cheated me like this and I didn't pay the amount and told them until you give me cash back I will not pay, because 500 is not a huge amount but I want to pay because of their false commitment. This month they have put finance charges and interest rates for not paying minimum amount.
What do you think, should I pay or face any legal actions if they take.
Old 4th April 2008, 21:45   #95
Senior - BHPian

DO NOT EVER deny payments without legal proceedings or filing a dispute.

Reason is your credit history. Since 2006, CIBIL has been gathering all such data and a delinquent line of credit is the last thing you want on your credit report.

If you file a dispute in writing, bank will not report default yo CIBIL.

In case of bad credit history getting a good deal on home loan will be difficult.
Old 4th April 2008, 22:48   #96
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I recently bought a deutsche credit card. When they gave the card they told there is a 2.5% cash back on petrol. I used that to fill petrol for 500 rs, later I didn't get any cash back for the amount. When I contact the Customer support they told it is only points and not the cash back. I know that for every transaction we will get points but they cheated me like this and I didn't pay the amount and told them until you give me cash back I will not pay, because 500 is not a huge amount but I want to pay because of their false commitment. This month they have put finance charges and interest rates for not paying minimum amount.
What do you think, should I pay or face any legal actions if they take.
Bad move on your part. You spent 500 bucks and you need to pay back the money to the bank asap.

Since the bank has not refunded you 2.5% as promised, you can file a complaint against the bank. But do make sure you have a document where bank has promised you 2.5% cashback on fuel spends.

But you need to first pay 500 bucks, else you are weakening your case and pretty soon those 500 will be 5000.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:53   #97
BHPian

Late payment charges on my ICICI credit card

I received my credit card statement today from ICICI. The dues for the last statement were to be paid before the 8th of July 2008. I dropped the cheque in an ICICI Bank ATM on 1st July 08 and my SB account has been debited on 3rd July 08. But to my surprise, the new statement has a late payment fee of Rs.400 and service tax of Rs.49.00.

I called the ICICI customer service phone number and explained my situation. After a few questions on validating that i am the right person, i was put on hold for some time. Then the person came back on line and tells me "Sorry sir, there was some problem with the software generating statements and hence it has wrongly charged you the late fee. You need not worry, we will reverse it. Any else i can do for you?" I asked him what is his name? He mentions "Amit". I tell him "Hold on...i am just noting down your name and spell A M I T" He immediately says "Be on line sir, i will reverse the charge right now" and i am put on hold for a few minutes. He comes back on line and says, we have reversed the charge.

What should be done to check / verify that the charge has actually been reversed? Need inputs from T-BHP members

Mod's Note: Please search for an existing thread on a similar subject and use the same rather than opening a new one for everything.

Threads merged.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:49   #98
Senior - BHPian

Somehow ICICI guys have become too impolite on the phone. I can compare them with Reliance guys. HSBC customer service is good.SBI ok ok, SCB/HDFC pathetic!
Old 24th July 2008, 17:00   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
What should be done to check / verify that the charge has actually been reversed? Need inputs from T-BHP members
Dont you have online access to the ICICI credit card account? Normally the transactions are shown online within a day. You should have a credit transaction showing up on the "Current" statement tomorrow.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:02   #100
BHPian

@gopinathann and @LLL

This is one of the common "punch lines" used by credit card guys.
If you use you so called "normal" card to fill petrol 2.5% surcharge will be taken. so if you fill for 500, your statement will show 512.5.

some banks give offer by not charging this 2.5%, some give 5% that is this 2.5% and 2.5% as reward points.

All this will be there in the sheets you signed and gave to the bank guy.

Pay the amount and I don't think legal action will help in this case.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:05   #101
BANNED

Credit Card sales chaps promise whatever you want. Please call up the bank and verify the offers.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:17   #102
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way through which we can know our own ratings that are provided to CIBIL?
Old 24th July 2008, 17:20   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Prabhusati, when they confirmed on phone it is reversed immediately, it will be done. You can wait for the next statement and it will indeed be reversed. I was in similar situation many times and they always reversed it.

Another option is to wait for a couple of days and call back and ask for your amount due again
Old 24th July 2008, 17:33   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Is there any way through which we can know our own ratings that are provided to CIBIL?
There is an awkward way:

1. You apply for loan / card / limit increase on credit card
2. Bank queries CIBIL and gets a "Control number" + Report
3. Need to pester bank for this control number (they can't share the report legally, only can share control number)
4. Send request with fees (100 Rs If I remember it right) to CIBIL in written. Request includes control number
Old 24th July 2008, 21:57   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I recently bought a deutsche credit card. When they gave the card they told there is a 2.5% cash back on petrol.
Well even I was duped the same way by the sales person. but one thing life has taught me is to read credit card Terms and conditions book. And the benefits guide that came with this card clearly mentioned that the 2.5% cashback for fuel is in form on points where each point is equivalent to 75p.

So what did I do? Just called them up and asked them to cancel the card coz what the marketing person told me does not match what is actually offered.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks