Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 16:33   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Do you work for Infy?" My exp in Mailaduthurai Express(MYS-SBC)

Thanks very much for the prompt responses- feel more at ease now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
As a large group, I assume you are all booked together in the same coach. In which case you shouldn't be bothered much. In 2S, the key issues would be related to seating. Especially some preferring window seats and some aisle. There is also the menace of unreserved sitting in reserved seats, its a pain if you are alone or small groups. With large groups, it may not be felt that much.
Yes we are booked in the same coach everywhere. That's why am not too worried. Since it's holiday season the reservation system should hopefully be enforced.
Quote:
Another major issue is related to food, be prepared for both at the origin station itself. Quality of food is variable, even food that's served in Shatabdi is nothing home to write about.
Oh that's a disappointment! We did a lot of intercity train travel growing up and the food used to be the best part. Every station had some speciality to look forward to. But of course main meals were packed from home- usually chapatis and dry potato bhaji!- and since my late aunt's place was at Belgaum (approx. halfway) she would land up at the station with piping hot dinner to sustain us the rest of the way. Good memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
What worries me more about train journeys nowadays is frequent reports of stone pelting on trains by urchins, which leaves train passengers injured.
Is this really an issue with outstation trains? Have heard of local train passengers being pelted with all kinds of stuff but wasn't aware it extended across the spectrum. Thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even the Shatabdi level of trains. Irrespective of the Class of Travel, yes our Trains smell absolutely horrible. One realises that one smells of IRON + Stale Food and a lot of other worse things when one disembarks.
I quite like that iron smell, actually . Actually one of the reasons I want to do this train journey is to acquaint the young ones with train travel. It has its own charm that driving and flying lack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
I don't think you should. Things should be fine. Nevertheless, please stock up on some eatables like biscuits, snacks, etc - especially when travelling in that sector. Couple of years back, my colleague and his family was stuck up for more than 18 hours because of some rock-fall which had blocked the tracks.
Whoa! I guess you really can't plan for those. Our first roadtrip to Goa as a family 7 years ago we were held up at Amboli because of a landslide. In fact we were lucky to get through quickly because some relatives following a couple of hours behind were held up for half a day because of the traffic build-up! But point taken- will ensure some nibbles are stocked, to keep the little ones happy at least.
Old 20th October 2016, 17:54   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I quite like that iron smell, actually . Actually one of the reasons I want to do this train journey is to acquaint the young ones with train travel. It has its own charm that driving and flying lack.

The real Luxury of Train Travel was in the 1970's and early '80's when there was still a Proper First Class AC with lockable Doors and a Private Bathroom etc.
Those days it was much more leisurely, the quality of service, food, accommodation, co-passengers, service staff and everything was much much better - way higher in terms of the sheer experience of comfortable, quality travel.

Nowadays, forget it. With this Quasi communistic attitude that stretches across the railways, even if one is willing to pay a bit more, there is no option. And for heavens sake our dear Indian train stations are probably amongst the most unhygienic and filthy places on earth!
Old 20th October 2016, 18:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Resurrecting an old thread that I happened to revisit. Am planning to travel on Konkan Rail on Mumbai-Mangalore, Mangalore- Gokarna and Gokarna-Mumbai sectors around New Year's. Have reserved seats/berths for all sectors but since AC was sold out I opted for sleeper class. Reading this now has me worried because we are going to be in a big family group with children and old people. Should I reconsider?
Sleeper class in IR though is the new General compartment, there are factors which might impact the quality of life in your coach.

1. What period of the year are you traveling ? If you are travelling during any local festive season or if a local politician has organised something in his area then may god help you in the sleeper class.

2. What train are you travelling. There are certain trains in each railway division which have a perceived impression of a train of importance. If you are booked in one of these, then you have not much to worry.

for Eg:: The Mahalaxmi express between Mumbai and Kolhapur. Have been using this train for Decades now and have never been come across a rufian element. the well to do junta of a locality also has it's prefrences and these prefered trains are the ones more pampered by the railways compared to their counterparts.

Since you are travelling in a group, I would not be much worried. Just be sure to secure your luggage with metal chains.

Trains on Konkan railway are not at all notorious for rough crowd and are decently frequented by well to do people who do not have a choice of flying due to nonavailability of nearby airports.

Enjoy your travel and do let us know your experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks