Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2005, 14:48   #31
BHPian

I hate hi beams, i have to rev my engine like mad(im usually on my RXZ ) to get the Light bright enough to force the other guy to switch to a low-beam, they rarely ever do that .

Given the Kind of training most truck drivers go through these days(what with pretty much every major truck manufacturer also running Driving schools for truckers) it is to be expected that they understand the right way of driving. the cops trying to fork money for such offences will just make people avoid cops or make then switch momentarily to avoid paying a fine, it does not necessarily bring in descipline, which is what is really required.

Jag
Old 28th December 2005, 16:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

I remember similar discussion in another thread. Gone are the days when they used to paint upper portion of headlamp black!

Steer, no harm in blinding those stubborn buggers. They might go past you and blind another driver causing fatal accident. You need not show mercy on them. They HAVE to realize how to drive responsibly.
Old 28th December 2005, 16:53   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
The rule applies to delhi aswell but hardly ever followed. Cops don't seem to care... all they look for is 50+km/h.

Somehow more than 2/3rd of the people using high beams drive a Santro!... (just something I observed .... nothing official about it)
I agree I agree I agreeeeee... You said it. Just that I did not say it If I could understand for once what is this with Santro owners and their Hi-Beams.
Old 28th December 2005, 17:25   #34
BHPian

Suprised to hear that, he said not wearing seat belts was not illegal.... guess he was just after getting some money off of you...
Old 28th December 2005, 21:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nothing irritates me more than people who think they have a god given right to keep their high beam on all the time. This as others have stated has a blinding effect for those driving from the opposite direction but not only that sometimes you get some moron right on your tail with his high beam on so you cannot use the rear view mirror etc. I always let these morons pass then blind them by switching to high beam.
Old 29th December 2005, 12:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Nothing irritates me more than people who think they have a god given right to keep their high beam on all the time. This as others have stated has a blinding effect for those driving from the opposite direction but not only that sometimes you get some moron right on your tail with his high beam on so you cannot use the rear view mirror etc. I always let these morons pass then blind them by switching to high beam.
Ditto here .. But of late I have curbed this instinct .. I just get out of their way. Let them pass if they are moving faster or speed up and get another car in between me and the moron , if he is slower ..
Old 29th December 2005, 16:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Tell me about it....I've lost count of the number of times I've deliberately stopped in front of such idiots to give them a piece of my mind and a few choice words. .
Guess what I am doing with the Dicor in Bangalore at night. The Safari high beam gets absolute respect. People dip their lights when I give them a dose of my high beam.

Yes, driving with high beam is illegal in city. It is also illegal on highways within a certain range of other vehicles. I think it is 600m for oncoming traffic and 150m for traffic ahead in same direction.
3 years ago, the Blr police suddenly woke up to the high beam menace and started fining everybody and anybody. I ended up paying 100 bucks for driving on low beam!! The cop insisted it was high beam. This was in front of Ulsoor police station and I was in a hurry so paid him and got out. Height was, atleast a dozen cars on high beam passed by when I was talking to teh cop and he refused to book them!! Looks like they have woken up again.

SLK, you observed right.. Santro owners are my pet peeve.. high beams, lane cutting, driving wrong side of the road, and on and on.. I would blame Hyundai for showing ads in which the Santro driver (SRK) drives with absolute disrespect for traffice rules..

Seat belts are compulsory in Blr for front seat occupants.. The law here says so.. Rs400 fine if caught without seat belt..
Old 29th December 2005, 18:03   #38
BHPian

I go caught for smoking and driving
Old 29th December 2005, 18:39   #39
BHPian

I dont know if its an offence or not but it should be. On second thoughts, in our country there are people who will do it even if its an offence. And our cops wont care as long as their pockets are being filled.

Personally, I dont use highbeams except on highways and when I want the car in the opposite direction to lower his lights.
Old 29th December 2005, 18:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
I go caught for smoking and driving
I got warned for smoking and driving. Absolutely ridiculous!
Old 29th December 2005, 18:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

I read many posts on this thread which say, "I drive in city on low beam and on high beam only on highways". Aren't we supposed to drive in low beam all the time? If it can blind other person in city, obviously it will do the same on highway. Why do you need to use high beam on highway all the time?

Again, in my experience, truckers invariably drive on low beam over highways (Even written on them "Use deeper at night"), whereas most of the state transport buses, Sumos, Scorpios and cars use high beams.
Old 30th December 2005, 20:11   #42
BHPian

Nice info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Using high beam in city and not wearing seat belts - both are not legal.

Checkout http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.o...php?category=3
and http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/ruleslinks.php#

On the side note, the website http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org is a great resource. I really appreciate the efforts of Chandigarh police for bringing awareness through this website.
Thanks for the info on the websites. Chandigarh cops are well and truly in the cyber age. kudos to them.
Old 10th January 2006, 21:17   #43
BHPian

what happens if i don't pay the fine?

[SIZE=2]
hi team,

i need help from u guys.

earlier today, i was given a ticket for parking in a supposedly 'no-parking' zone.

2 and 4 wheelers were all parked to one side of the street. at the time i arrived there, there were 3 cars parked on the other side of the road as well. there wasn't any NO PARKING sign visible and so i too parked my car right there. by the time i finished my errands and came back to my car, i see only my car standing with a ticket posted on the window for the parking offence. after this, i surveyed the place again to find the no-parking sign, and i see one around 100 mts away, (there was a crossroad between the sign and my car - i don't know if this would change anything) and WITHOUT the usual 100m or 200m marking on it.

my question is - there being no signboard at the immediate location, how is one to know if it's a no-parking zone or not? not having committed a mistake but being booked for the inadequacy of the authorities to place clear instructions, i resent having to pay the fine.

the fine is a relatively small 100 bucks and the ticket tells me to pay at the police station within 7 DAYS failing which i would be chargesheeted in court.

this happened in bangalore. the cop's got only the car's number, and the RTO has my hassan address, where i'm no longer staying. what will happen if i don't pay the fine? will i indeed be summoned to court? in which case, am i liable to pay extra fine for delay?

i need this info as soon as possible. preferably within 7 days. firstly for the sake of knowing, and if possible, to connive with my own rebellious judgement.
[/SIZE]
Old 10th January 2006, 21:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere
i need this info as soon as possible. preferably within 7 days. firstly for the sake of knowing, and if possible, to connive with my own rebellious judgement.
Bangalore police carry something called a Simputer (an Indian PDA) which has direct access to the RTO/Police database. Whenever anybody is ticketed, the information is logged into that database. If you are caught again for any other traffic offence, they will check that database by entering your car number for previous offences. If you hadn't paid your fine, you'll be in big trouble. Isn't technology wonderful?
Old 10th January 2006, 22:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Wearing Seat belts is not compulsory in bangalore or chennai!
arre nitrous anna... in chennai everyting is legal... only in chennai u can jump a traffic signal, change lanes without indication, cross yellow lines, stop on the pedestrian crossing way after the stop line, literally everything in your imagination, right under the cops nose.... he will look and even give you a wide decayed and sometimes toothless smile...

but definitely not in blore...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks