Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 12:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Is Infosys really moving out of Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Their PR machinery is the best in the country. They never let bad press happen to them. Only the Phaneesh Murthy scandal (because it was in USA), and the Deve Gowda's attack (he is too visible to ignore) ever made it to paper.
Are you forgetting the HR reshuffle circus that happend?Also the downsizing and subsequent quirky logic put forth?

Infosys has built up a patron saint of indian IT image which is often causing trouble for them. They needs to find an illogical divine justification for everything they do. For example, they do not lay off, instead it is a process of people choosing Social service over job
Old 21st January 2011, 12:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

What would stop Infosys from not staying long enough in Pune also. The infrastructure in Pune has slowly started crumbling with the heavy influx of top notch IT companies. Yesterday it was B'lore, today its Pune, tomorrow may be somewhere else.
You cannot depend on opputunist exploiters like Infosys. What happens to staff at B'lore who had to afford the high rentals and spiralling property prices. I know a few Infoscians who have purchased property at a very high cost.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:48   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Be thankful. Last month I was in Mysore for couple days. It felt so good driving around Mysore, felt like 80s Bangalore with modern cars. Mysore doesn't need to be messed up like Bangalore. There is only kind of urban growth in India, the unplanned kind. No need to subject Mysore to that.
Totally agree! Mysore today is the old Bangalore. I really loved the time i spent in Mysore a year ago, although only for a few days.

Quote:
Their PR machinery is the best in the country. They never let bad press happen to them. Only the Phaneesh Murthy scandal (because it was in USA), and the Deve Gowda's attack (he is too visible to ignore) ever made it to paper.
All said and done, PR alone cannot hide their high attrition figures. Kris has finally came out in the open to admit it, after pretending 'All izz well' for so long.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:16   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Oh Sure! I was there too earlier in the month and I love the easygoing ways of Mysore. Quite like Chennai of yesteryears - 70's and 80's and Bangalore of the 80's OR the mythical Malgudi in some ways! A calm quiet and lovely place. And whatever one may say the Royal family there really had foresight to build such lovely huge roads, tree lined avenues, water catchment tanks and the like.
Our current lot of urban planners could benefit a lot if they take a good look at Mysore!

Quote:
Be thankful. Last month I was in Mysore for couple days. It felt so good driving around Mysore, felt like 80s Bangalore with modern cars. Mysore doesn't need to be messed up like Bangalore. There is only kind of urban growth in India, the unplanned kind. No need to subject Mysore to that.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

I think it's not just Infosys, other IT majors would also like to expand outside Bangalore if given a choice, simply because:

a. Bangalore is (more) expensive - in terms of salaries. Probably the land is more expensive as well.
b. There are plenty of potential employers in Bangalore for IT guys (leading to 1 above), whereas a Tier-2 city many not have so many. So they can hope to keep the attrition in check in Tier-2 cities, in addition to costs.
c. Other cities/states may be offering more sops to the companies simply to attract investment.
Old 21st January 2011, 15:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

I must say "good news" indeed! high time Bangalore is given some space!!i think Bangalore has had enough growth no point in filling in more then it can take, but i really hope they dont go back of Mysore now....
Old 21st January 2011, 15:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Please do not come to Pune. We are already suffering badly from poor infrastructure. Go to Satara, Kolhapur, Solapur etc. Why congest only a few cities? How I wish I could work from a small village in Kerala.
Old 21st January 2011, 15:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Second that!, What Bangalore saw was "destruction" in the name of development

Quote:

Can Infy's greed for land be ever satiated? Agreed, the Karnataka government has no time to do anything useful, they are swimming in scams all the time. But the largest land owning IT company doesn't deserve any more. How many more villages have to be destroyed?
Old 21st January 2011, 15:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Here are some old links about Infy's land acrobatics.

www.outlookindia.com | Is 'It' All For Land?

Farmer's prayer: 'May Wipro, Infy biz drop!'
Old 21st January 2011, 16:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if tax concessions have any say in this
Old 21st January 2011, 17:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:

+11111111111 to that. Having born and brought up in peaceful Mysore, i would hate to see it deteriorate like Bangalore. Please allow me to spend the weekends in peace!

Having said that, i wonder how many more acres of land does Infy need. They are amassing land banks more than RE companies do. May be few years down the line, they will spin off their real estate business and make it into another company and have a separate IT company

Its time for Infy to expand vertically!

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 21st January 2011 at 17:38.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:35   #42
BANNED

Quote:
+1 to that.

Even biggies like MS/Google have never ever gone for a land hunt like Infy!
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, what does Infy do with all the land they acquire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
also - there is a very real danger the way that agricultural land across India is being converted and plotted out for residential and commercial purposes. One of India's great strengths has been food production and if things go in this way, that position may well change - which could also cause the costs of living and inflation to rise to frightening levels!
whats the answer in a situation like this?
I would'nt worry about losing agricultural land for Industries.

If you take a long drive from Blr to say Chennai, you'll notice that theres plenty of vast open land that is still not cultivated. With advances in agriculture, productivity can easily be doubled. There is no sense in pinching a city's growth in the name of agriculture. Industrialization puts a lot more money in people's pockets compared to agriculture. If there is a shortage, food can always be imported with our new found wealth. This is how advanced countries in the west operate.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd January 2011 at 20:56.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Interesting, what does Infy do with all the land they acquire?

I would'nt worry about losing agricultural land for Industries.

If you take a long drive from Blr to say Chennai, you'll notice that theres plenty of vast open land that is still not cultivated. With advances in agriculture, productivity can easily be doubled. There is no sense in pinching a city's growth in the name of agriculture. Industrialization puts a lot more money in people's pockets compared to agriculture. If there is a shortage, food can always be imported with our new found wealth. This is how advanced countries in the west operate.
Land may be available, but how much of it is arable is the question. It will remain a worrying question until we can produce food in factories or eat virtual food!

Take the case of TN, where urban centres are distributed across the state. It also means we are losing agricultural land across the state to development.
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower: Advanced countries in the west can pay more for food. Onions at 60 Rs is troubling the entire country.

The amount of land not arable is the problem and also many farms are facing the issue of labor shortage to work on these farms as people prefer working in the cities as construction workers. The cost of labor has made it unviable to cultivate many non cash crops. Rice is hit because of the same.

Mechanised farms sounds good but the cost of farming is only affordable at a large scale as compared to small land holdings.

Coming back to infosys: You observed that when infosys purchases land the area around it suddenly becomes a hot destination!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks