Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Rest In Peace - Bharat Ratna Pt.Bhimsen Joshi

While we all drive, keeping us company is our favourite musicians to make each passing moment more memorable. Today, I was deeply saddened to hear that the sonorous voice of Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi is no more.

I first heard his "Payal kee Jhankar" sung in Khayal to Raga Jaunpuri in 1997. Since then I have been hearing Panditji regularly every morning. His music, including the wonderful, lively, booming Bhajans would play in my car as I drove endless hours to work! It would transport my mind into a different dimension, its notes smoothening out the rough edges of urban traffic.

May God bless his soul!
Old 24th January 2011, 14:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rest In Peace - Bharat Ratna Pt.Bhimsen Joshi

OMG. There was news that he was not keeping good health and had been admitted for treatment. But its sad to know that he is no more. May his soul rest in peace. His music will keep ringing in the ears for long time to come.

I was in particular very fond of his rendition "Bhagyada laxmi baramma" a kannada devotional song dedicated to Goddess laxmi. His voice in "Mile sur mera tumhara" was exceptional.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pandit Joshi was a great man and I remember him in his off white, dieselised, W111 220S. MTJ something if i remember right. It also had fur on the dash. This was when the TV promos of "Mile Sur Mera Tumhara" has just started.

He stayed often at my friend's place and because of that, we would get invited to all his concerts happening in the city. It was only when we heard him sing and saw the attendance at these concerts, that we realised he was big name in Indian Classical Music.

Met him numerous times in my friend"s house, a very mild and gentle manner person who soft little and softly. He was one of the greatest Indian classical singers we had in our country.

I wish his soul Rest In Peace. India has lost a Jewel.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:18   #4
BHPian

>>>

Sad news indeed; he was ailing for some time. Arguably the greatest contemporary Hindustani classical vocalist is no more.

I do hope the television channels and the AIR broadcast some of his greatest renditions, especially his bhajans, as a mark of respect. A programme highlighting his contribution to classical ( and indeed, even to popular film music), especially his gayaki would be apt.

I wonder if SPIC-MACAY will hold a programme in memoriam.

In pace requiescat
Old 24th January 2011, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I was in particular very fond of his rendition "Bhagyada laxmi baramma" a kannada devotional song dedicated to Goddess laxmi..
Thats an evergreen classic.It still rings in my ears.What a song!
RIP Pandit Joshi
Old 24th January 2011, 15:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Thats an evergreen classic.It still rings in my ears.What a song!
RIP Pandit Joshi
I agree with that. In this Sri Purandara Dasa song, the opening invocation of Sri Lakshmi that Panditji repeats with that boom trailing off to the heavens, almost makes it feel like Panditji is in direct communication wiht the Goddess herself and she will descend into our presence hearing the most beseeching strains of a devotee! It is endearing!

In the same Kannada collection of Bhajans (Daaswani), I also like "Kailasavaasa Gaurisha Isha" for its beautiful rendition. I once picked up a nice collection of Daasara Krithis (collection titled - Hari Bhajane Maado) at the famous Ragiguda temple in South Bangalore.

Unfortunately, I regret that I never attended any of his live concerts. I was told he had stopped performing for a while. I began listening to his voice much later.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:25   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Sad news indeed.

The sadder thing is that with the passing of such greats, somehow there is never anyone who can really approximate to or take their place in their chosen field (s) of excellence.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:43   #8
BHPian

I have always believed that music is divine.
Pt.Bhimsen Joshi was Gods gift to us. His death leaves a void which will never be filled. While we mourn his demise, the Heavens will be richer by his arrival there.
My favorite.. "jo bhaje hari ko sada....wohi param pad payega"....it gives an insight into his effortless rendering and the rich wisdom it contains...There are countless other equally powerful renditions; both classical and the light hearted bhajans. We were indeed blessed to have had him in our midst and thank God for it.

Pt. Bhimsem Gururaj Joshi RIP.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sad news indeed.
The sadder thing is that with the passing of such greats, somehow there is never anyone who can really approximate to or take their place in their chosen field (s) of excellence.
May his soul rest in peace. I think the most difficult part is to live up to the humility and simplicity of such greats
Old 24th January 2011, 15:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like many of us here, i have grown up watching and listening to him in 'mile sur mera tumhara' in doordarshan almost everyday.
Sad news indeed.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

I first discovered Pt.Bhimsen Joshi in the late 80s, in the opening scene of Mile Sur Mera Tumhara. This probably holds true for millions of Indians like me who were not exposed to classical music.

Couple years later, when I could afford buying new cassettes, I came across Maestro's Choice by Bhimsen Joshi at HMV store. Remembering the Mile Sur song, I bought my first Hindustani Classical cassette. It had two renditions, Raga Ramkali and Raga Shuddh Kalyan. Oh, what a performance. I listened to that cassette for many years until it went bad, then bought the CD of the same. Then I ripped the CD into my PC and kept moving it to subsequent PCs. Even now, 20 years later, I still play it once in a while. Today I made my whole office listen to Raga Ramkali (all 30 minutes) as mark of respect for the great man.

He voice resembled the waves of the ocean beating the beach. Here is a part of Raga Ramkali in his majestic voice.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 18:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

He was a miracle
Panditji's love for cars has been discussed in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...rat-ratna.html
I have heard how he himself drove in his Merc from Pune to Bangalore to give a concert when he was 72 something.
@Dhuli, if you want to experience the full energy of Bhimsen singing, listen to his Lalit Bhatiyar (HMV recording) or watch this video
Old 24th January 2011, 18:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
He was a miracle
Panditji's love for cars has been discussed in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...rat-ratna.html
I have heard how he himself drove in his Merc from Pune to Bangalore to give a concert when he was 72 something.
@Dhuli, if you want to experience the full energy of Bhimsen singing, listen to his Lalit Bhatiyar (HMV recording) or watch this video
Thanks for digging that up Guna! A very young Pandit Bhimsen Joshi there. Electric! It says Raga Mian Malhar though.
Old 24th January 2011, 18:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Thanks for digging that up Guna! A very young Pandit Bhimsen Joshi there. Electric! It says Raga Mian Malhar though.
Yes it is Rag Miya Malhar (lalit Bhatiyar I was referring to is another piece) It is actually from a documentary made a by a Dutch filmmaker. He happened to listen to Bhimsen's recording in a film festival which made him to make a trip to India to make the documentary!
Old 24th January 2011, 18:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

India indeed has lost a legendary icon. May he rest in Peace. I am sure he is enthralling the Audience above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks