Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 15:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indiandrives.com Plagiarized my Photos

Shameful act! You must act if you can provided you have time and energy.

I would like to know form the forum how can anyone claim copyright for a digital photograph? Is there a way that it can be established that so and so photograph was taken by so and so? I mean for a roll its different but there are no negatives here!
Old 4th March 2011, 15:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

What my suggestion here is that, if a person right clicks on a picture, a copyright notice about team-bhp should be displayed.

To explain what I am talking about, just visit this website IndiaBirds.com - Birds Gallery and open any picture.

Next rightclick any picture, and it will instantly display the copyright notice about the author.

I think instead of putting a watermark and spoiling the entire picture, this trick should just do it fine. What do you guys say?

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 4th March 2011 at 15:23. Reason: punctuation
Old 4th March 2011, 16:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
To explain what I am talking about, just visit this website IndiaBirds.com - Birds Gallery and open any picture.

Next rightclick any picture, and it will instantly display the copyright notice about the author.

I think instead of putting a watermark and spoiling the entire picture, this trick should just do it fine. What do you guys say?
The solution mentioned in the given link isn't good. It assumes that every one will enable javascript! You can easily switch off javascript! Also search engines cache images in sites like this, in which case one can easily get images directly from search engines. May be publishing dpreview way is better (which uses flash to show images).
Old 5th March 2011, 02:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shameful. Not only have they stolen your pictures, SS Traveller, but their "reviewer" has clearly not even driven the car. Thus, he has cheated you and he's cheating his readers.

BTW, the images have been removed from Indiandrives.

Watermarking is very much present on Team-BHP (on full size images). Easiest to remove though. The only effective watermarking is the one that runs across, and through the center of, the entire image. But we wouldn't want to ruin the experience of our members, just for a couple of bozos who steal content.

Just saw it.It seems to be only on the full-size images.
But i personally think its not applied effectively.

For eg.please check this image from sidindica's SX4 Diesel review.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...w-dsc00050.jpg

Though it isnt the full size image,this size is more than enough for a quality view.And it is available without watermarks.So is the watermarking presently available really effective?

Also,I dont think it would be that bad to use central watermarks with very low opacity.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
Also,I dont think it would be that bad to use central watermarks with very low opacity.
Exactly. As long as it doesnt 'steal the thunder' (which it wont), this is a great idea.

It takes a lot of effort to actually take the pictures, like 3/4 view or interior rear leg space (min/max) and downloading them takes lesser than the time I took to type this. The least you could ask for is a acknowledgment.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

I stand for a NO, for watermarks across the pics. Why spoil our viewing pleasure just cause of some other people. Would you be happy with just a small scratch on your car? No. It upsets the visual experience

We need to be cautious when we post our pics on the web. I generally avoid posting my prized pics, and just upload the basic ones. If I do upload the ones I feel are very good, I put a water mark in an area which does not make the pic an easy crop. If we do come across our pics somewhere, we need to raise a storm. Like in this case.
Old 5th March 2011, 16:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they have copied the concept of the logo design also .
Attached Thumbnails
Indiandrives.com Plagiarized my Photos-kk.jpg  

Indiandrives.com Plagiarized my Photos-jjj.jpg  

Old 5th March 2011, 19:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Looks like they have copied the concept of the logo design also .
lolz, their logo reflects the mindset of the typical Indian motorist. Howdy IndianDrives! Here's a free catchline for you, guys :

"ADDING MORE MILEAGE TO THE INDIAN AUTOMOTIVE SCENE".

Regarding the watermarks policy, IMO we should leave this to the individual poster; that is, if I want to upload some images it is my decision whether to watermark these or not. Maybe the mods should implement some broad guidelines about this matter.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 5th March 2011 at 19:33.
Old 5th March 2011, 22:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
The solution mentioned in the given link isn't good. It assumes that every one will enable javascript! You can easily switch off javascript! Also search engines cache images in sites like this, in which case one can easily get images directly from search engines. May be publishing dpreview way is better (which uses flash to show images).
Well yes, but don't 90% of the people who surf the net, keep javascript enabled? Most of the people don't understand javascript and other options of browsers.

The dpreview way is also an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I stand for a NO, for watermarks across the pics. Why spoil our viewing pleasure just cause of some other people. Would you be happy with just a small scratch on your car? No. It upsets the visual experience .
I 100% agree with this, a watermark will spoil the visual experience of a good picture.
Old 7th March 2011, 09:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Anything which is converted to analog media can be copied.

All your protections are going to work only in digital realm where you can have encryption, protection and stuff. But as soon as it is displayed on the browser - you can copy it.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

On a similar note, motorbeam.com has copied my photo which I posted in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2279221

I should have watermarked my photo. See: 2011 Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift Spied
Attached Thumbnails
Indiandrives.com Plagiarized my Photos-capture.jpg  

Old 17th March 2011, 12:20   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
...motorbeam.com has copied my photo...
At least they've had the decency to acknowledge the picture source with a link to the relevant thread. And they have also posted all the watermarked pics that were put up by RECOMPOSE.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
On a similar note, motorbeam.com has copied my photo which I posted in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2279221

I should have watermarked my photo. See: 2011 Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift Spied
Rohanjf,

They have provided a source (though it is below the ad on the page!) - so its not the same as what SS-Traveller started this thread to highlight.

In future - when you post a scoop pic you can email the mods to have it watermarked (ie more than just the small automated watermark).

If you want specific credit, i'm sure you could write to motorbeam and they would oblige.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2011 at 13:13.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Well yes, but don't 90% of the people who surf the net, keep javascript enabled? Most of the people don't understand javascript and other options of browsers.

The dpreview way is also an option.
One who needs to steel the image will disable javascript. After all you are taking the trouble of restricting the copying via javascript. Thats the reason its not such a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Anything which is converted to analog media can be copied.

All your protections are going to work only in digital realm where you can have encryption, protection and stuff. But as soon as it is displayed on the browser - you can copy it.
Flash in some way gives protection against it, however if print screen used I doubt it will protect against it.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:21   #45
BHPian

On an aviation photo website where I upload, we have options for the watermark. A screenshot of the options (placement, opacity, size etc) is shown below.

Attachment 518644

Below is an image with the watermark visible (uploaded in large size to enable proper viewing of the watermark)

Attachment 518643

I am not sure of the technical feasibility of the same, but it is a possibility worth exploring, especially for the scoop shots.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks