Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2006, 02:43   #1

Firefox going to hell in a hand basket

Mozilla firefox which is nowadays touted as the best and the fastest web browser is according to me well going to hell in a hand basket. For once even i became a fan of firefox and recommendd it to anyone in a ten km radius but with the newer versions the older speed and anti-crashness(whoa) has vanished. And mozilla has managed to invent the slowest site in the form of the firefox network, Opera anyone. Comments invited
Old 11th January 2006, 03:21   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I have IE 6.0.3790.1830
I have firefox 1.5
I have Opera 8.5 7700

IE is the best anyday... its the fastest! .. trust me if u can keep it ad/spyware free!

Firefox is not bad... I only like the tab interface there though... AND it works best (fastest/ smoothest) just for some forum websites .. like this one team-bhp.

Opera.. again fine.. but somehow gives a feel that its still beta!.. its not perfect.

IE 7 is coming to get firefox!.. beta is already here! .. watchout for it!

Somehow... NO ONE in my whole friend circle uses firefox as their primary browser.
Old 11th January 2006, 07:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IE is the best anyday.

IE has more security holes than ventilated disks. If your firefox is slow try not to bloat it with too many unwanted extensions. 1.5 is pretty fast.
As far as opera goes, its the fastest there is. Beats firefox and IE both
Old 11th January 2006, 07:46   #4
BHPian

IE -the worst browser in world.... just because it has many security vulnerabilities (though Opera and Firefox have them, they are'nt bad enough like IE).
According to me Opera is the Best, coz of its cache management, its really really fast.... even mozilla is faster than IE and lighter on your computer resources.... But I use IE, because it is compatible with most sites.
So if they (opera n firefox) overcome the compatibility issue they are the best in world.
Old 11th January 2006, 08:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its not firefox which is incompatible.
They follow w3 standards. Its the third class web designers who after testing a site on windows think they have tested it in all.
Old 11th January 2006, 09:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that Firefox doesn't render the page until it downloads all the content including images and renders them all at once whereas IE renders the content as they get downloaded. This could be the reason behind people believing that Firefox is faster.
IE is my promary browser.
Old 11th January 2006, 10:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow this is interesting
I haven't tried FF 1.5 for that long so can not comment on 1.5 version
I am full time Opera user.
And yes Opera is faster than FF & IE

as for IE being best browser
I agree only if you know how to keep your computer safe from security holes (good firewall/AV/secure browsing habits)
Old 11th January 2006, 10:24   #8
BHPian

Frankly i dont see much of "speed" difference between firefox and IE. If at all there is any difference... i dont feel it.

The primary browser is firefox, that is esp for its tab feature. IE only for office use and for some stupid sites which are not tested on firefox.
Old 11th January 2006, 11:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

My default browser is Firefox 1.5 and IE is used only for Windows Update and Office Update.

I have no issues with Firefox - have never stuck to one browser for this long.
Old 11th January 2006, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

FireFox is my primary, secondary, tertiary browser. IE has no place other than stupid IE only sites (for which I use IE Tab extension in FireFox ). I never had issues with its speed, but I suggest,
  • Try and keep FF bare minimum if you have concerns with its size.
  • Use FasterFox extension for performance optimization (for all its worth).
Old 11th January 2006, 14:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Its not firefox which is incompatible.
They follow w3 standards. Its the third class web designers who after testing a site on windows think they have tested it in all.
Now now... hold it there Tanveer bhai. I have an issue if you say it is the "third class web designers" who are at fault. The fact is that IE is wide-spread that clients never want their sites to be compatible with anything else.

For higher degree of compatibility it costs money. So if someone says that the site/application needs to be compatible with such and such browsers it adds to the costs by several zeros, as that automatically involves that much more stricter processes, test data, documentations etc. So that is how you end up with sites that are primarily IE compatible and optimized. The web designers (or rather the application designer) has little to do. They can not tell the client that they should also make their site otehr browser compatible as every dollar counts...
Old 11th January 2006, 15:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Well ive been using firefox for a little while now. I like it. I've started using Opera and I find Opera a wee bit faster.
Old 11th January 2006, 16:03   #13
BHPian

I use Firefox, not only coz of popup prevention and security but mainly due to tabs feature and I also like its UI.
IE only for sites which insist on it and sometimes when Firefox has problems with fonts etc:-S
Old 11th January 2006, 16:38   #14
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

IE has more security holes than ventilated disks. If your firefox is slow try not to bloat it with too many unwanted extensions.
What type of security holes have you found in IE? Have been using it since the past 7-8 years. Never had a problem! (just kept it upto date)

Firefox runs out of breath pertty soon... you can't open tooo many pages together!

Anyways I am for IE. Though www.team-bhp.com only works well in firefox.
Old 11th January 2006, 16:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

If you make a site compatible with firefox, you are wrong zappo bhai. A site compatible with firefox, is as wrong as a site compatible with IE. Your site should meet standards.
http://www.w3.org, the website of the World Wide Web(WWW) consortian has laid down certain standards for html, xhtml and so on. All you need to do is run the free validators they provide. Thats it.
Its easy to make a site firefox compatible/IE/comptible/netscape compatible, but thats not the right way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks