Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 14:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

PhD Thread

I tried searching for a similar thread but I am not able to.
I would like to know if there are any person in TBHP having a doctorate to your name.

I am planning to pursue Ph.D I would need help in understanding the course and guidance and assistance on choosing the right university for doing it.
Here my requirements in a gist.

1. Since I am already working I would prefer for some Univ which offers to persue Ph.D thro corresondance.
2. Willing to do in either Marketing or IT field
3. I am currently an MBA, is there a chance for me to do Ph.D without having to do M. Phil.

Need your help
Old 15th March 2011, 15:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: PhD Thread

After MBA, DBA is more appropriate than PhD.

Doctor of Business Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15th March 2011, 17:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

xingamazon, You can do your Ph.D in Dr M.G.R University(since I see that you are from chennai) and it will be a part time course. There is nothing called
Quote:
Ph.D thro corresondance
. It is either Full time(which a college lecturer does or a candidate with full time living in the campus and helping in labs etc), or it is part-time(external and internal). All working candidates apart from teaching field will come in part time external candidate.

You can do Ph.D even after MBA AFAIK. Get in touch with the management dept and you will have the info.

PS:: I am no where related to that university.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to see if there are already any Ph.D holders in Team-BHP, from whom I can get some direct first hand information on Ph.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Samuraii, Thanks for the suggestion thats something I was not aware of all this while will do some research on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
xingamazon, You can do your Ph.D in Dr M.G.R University(since I see that you are from chennai)
shishir_bn, Thanks for the suggestion will give them a call and check

Last edited by xingamazon : 15th March 2011 at 17:30.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:18   #5
dot
Senior - BHPian

If I may ask, what benefit do you think you will get if you get a Ph.D.degree? If getting a doctorate degree is a means to get a better job, or better thinking ability, by all means one should do it. However for just a degree sake, I feel it has little value. During my Ph.D time I saw a lot of folks who did it because they had nothing else to do or it was timepass. Most of them regret later that it was many years wasted. People who genuinely enjoyed the grind did well later.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2011, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

As samurai already suggested, DBA will certainly be a good choice for you since you are an MBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
If I may ask, what benefit do you think you will get if you get a Ph.D.degree? If getting a doctorate degree is a means to get a better job, or better thinking ability, by all means one should do it. However for just a degree sake, I feel it has little value.
As a freshly passed out post graduate, I am in agreement with Dot. If you are doing a Ph.D. just for the sake of it, AVOID.

See, I have a theory. Good education should always add to experiences in your area of expertise and should lead you forward in your life. Ph.D. is a big commitment and it is important that you prepare your mind for it as early as possible. You should be clear of implications of this degree on your career, or in your life.

I completed my M.Sc. in January this year and I have offers in hand for Ph.D. from my home university (University of Saskatchewan, Canada), North Carolina State University (USA) and Scottish Crop Research Institute (Scotland, UK). I am thinking long and hard before I commit with any of these 5 years long projects because that none of these projects match with my absolute career goal (except the offer from my home university which I don't want to take, just to avoid multiple degrees from the same place). It is an important decision of my life and I might give them a pass altogether and take up a job back home in India to gain some experience before I find an appropriate project that genuinely interests me.

Quote:
I saw a lot of folks who did it because they had nothing else to do or it was timepass. Most of them regret later that it was many years wasted. People who genuinely enjoyed the grind did well later.
+1 to that and I have so many examples like that in my eyesight, even now!
Old 15th March 2011, 22:03   #7
rkg
Senior - BHPian

PhD or DBA after MBA does not add much value unless you want to become an academic/researcher.

May be there is some scope for DBA/phD in operational research front.

Iam a PhD holder, did it because iam into research where it is required for career progression

Last edited by rkg : 15th March 2011 at 22:04.
Old 16th March 2011, 00:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

I believe most PhD seats in Indian colleges are taken up by middle aged lecturers, for the sole purpose for becoming professors. None of them really have any interest in research, and often take 5-6 years to barely make it happen. IITs are the dream destinations for pedigree seeking future professors. My friend who is an IIT professor shudders at the quality of PhD students he encounters. I wonder how the lesser universities fare.

My advice, don't do it for the sake of degree. I wanted to do master's degree for a long time. As a techie I thought M.S is the way to go. But after 10 years in the industry, I realised that a technical degree will add nothing to what I already knew. Therefore I did MBA which was a totally new topic for me. Another 10 years later I am very happy I did a useful degree than a name sake one.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

Totally agree to what Samuarai says. If you want to do a Phd, do for the fun of it and not for the gain. Because I am sure if you are highly experienced in an industry, Phd is not at all a differentiator.

In the techincal field, again as Samurai said, PHD seats are mostly taken by Tier-II college lecturers who just want a degree to get a promotion.

For an MBA, there are FPM (Fellow Program in Management). You should look at their outline on the IIM sites.

If you want to do for the fun of it, while you are in the midst of your career here are some pointers:

1. Need to get into a "Good" college, as it is now no more a survival question. Since its more for your satisfaction, go for the best.
2. Its not just about the study alone. Work really gets doubled. Home Family and institute. Its three times more stressfull.
3. If you need a sabbatical to be taken at the institute, then you need to see how to have you finances for the family covered. (If your company sponsors it, then its better).
4. Good to have a topic which aligns with your work. Reduces your stress. Else you will rack your brains in different directions (literally trying to make the two ends meet, but the twain may never!)
5. Last but not least, you will need to maintain focus for a long time in case of a PHD. Its very easy to lose this focus in between and before you know, time would have passed. By the time you get back, either the problem would have lost its sheen or you would find yourself not interested any more.
Many times I have seen folks give up mid-way because of this. You dont want to end that way and hence focus and execution are very important.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Some PhD gnan from the 80s...

Old 18th March 2011, 02:06   #11
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Some PhD gnan from the 80s...
Sharath, I sometimes wonder how you manage to find something from a movie/youtube in relevance to the thread topic

Adi
Old 18th March 2011, 08:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Sharath, I sometimes wonder how you manage to find something from a movie/Youtube in relevance to the thread topic

Adi
I am old enough to remember watching this show on DD. I knew somebody would have posted it on youtube. So it was easy to just look it up.

PS: This episode when aired in 1989 must have scared away a generation of PhD aspirants.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th March 2011 at 12:09.
Old 20th March 2011, 10:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I may ask, what benefit do you think you will get if you get a Ph.D.degree? If getting a doctorate degree is a means to get a better job, or better thinking ability, by all means one should do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
As samurai already suggested, DBA will certainly be a good choice for you since you are an MBA.
See, I have a theory. Good education should always add to experiences in your area of expertise and should lead you forward in your life. Ph.D. is a big commitment .....
Dot and Ace,
Really thanks for the directions. Well my answer to your question is yes and no.

I am a kind of person who normally keeps doing research on any topic I deal with especially digital marketing etc. For the job I am performing now. Dont think any kind of degree would add chances of my promotion etc.
That was the reason I was looking for Ph.D, more for a sense of self achivement. But now I am having a rethink of it after your feedback.
No intention of becoming prof and all..

I wanted to do it on part time as I dint want to quit and still pursue my interest in research. That was the reason I wanted to see if I can go thro the Autonomous university to avoid the bureaucracy and allow me to concentrate on my interest.

I always wanted to study harder and do something, but had to get into job owing to obligations. Ph.D had been a dream addition, even if I had got it for the namesake dint matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
PhD or DBA after MBA does not add much value unless you want to become an academic/researcher.

Iam a PhD holder, did it because iam into research where it is required for career progression
So nice to hear finally one PhD in the TBHP, Which topic did you choose and from which university.

Quote:
I am old enough to remember watching this show on DD. I knew somebody would have posted it on Youtube. So it was easy to just look it up.
PS: This episode when aired in 1989 must have scared away a generation of PhD aspirants.
Great Find.. Such a comical and realistic take on a grave issue plaguing India. I am sure, two decades past, still things are the same in this field. God knows...
Old 20th March 2011, 11:32   #14
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
That was the reason I was looking for Ph.D, more for a sense of self achievement.
That is a good enough reason, but one has to weigh the cost of time and effort investment and return.
I happen to be a doctorate. In graduate school, I had clear intention to pursue industrial R&D after PhD. In fact if you are not a PhD, career in industrial (science and engineering) R&D is exceptionally hard. My career has materialized. So things are fine.

Quote:
Such a comical and realistic take on a grave issue plaguing India. I am sure, two decades past, still things are the same in this field. God knows...
It is not so bad, specially in Science and Engineering. However quality in an average university is a issue. When I sit in interviews to hire, it is a major challenge to find a good candidate.
Old 20th March 2011, 12:05   #15
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wanted to do it on part time as I dint want to quit and still pursue my interest in research. That was the reason I wanted to see if I can go thro the Autonomous university to avoid the bureaucracy and allow me to concentrate on my interest.

So nice to hear finally one PhD in the TBHP, Which topic did you choose and from which university.
PhD can be done part time.You have to find a good guide and register with a university Which accpets him as guide. then it will be between you and guide. you have write one exam ( i think so, iam from professional university, so do not know much about general universities)

finally you have to submit thesis.

there are highly reputed guides in each field, you have to find a reputed one ( need not be good, because name of guide matters a lot in Phd and subsequently also)

regiter in any university where he/she is registered as guide.

You chose your area of work and search for a guide in that area

But if you want to di in IISC, IIT, IIm it is full time. general universities it need not be

I did my graduation. masters and phd at a stretch from AP Agricultural University
Specialization is Dairy cattle breeding. Iam a vet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks