Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 04:18   #1
BHPian

Cop mis-using authority / Do I really deserve this for driving safe all this while?

Recently I met a cop who abusively pushed me and confiscated my license. Imposing a Rs 2000/- fine.

Disclaimer: This thread is not created to bad-mouth cops, Because I was fined. I duly respect cops and my family has been involved in various social activities where free camps are conducted for the welfare of cops. I also believe that if one is genuinely at fault then a cop reserves to right to fine him.

This thread is created for the Reason mentioned on the fine receipt:

"Section 184"

(Whoever drives a motor vehicle at a speed or in a manner which is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances of the case including nature, condition and use of the place where the vehicle is driven and the amount of traffic which actually is at the time or which might reasonably be expected to be in the place, shall be punishable for the first offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, and for any second or subsequent offence if committed within three years of the commission of a previous similar offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years or with fine which may extend to two thousand rupees or with both. The driver can be arrested on the spot.)

Now here is the complete story; Yesterday being a Sunday I decided to go out for dinner with my family.

Let me inform you that I drive as safely as possible at all times and I also give way to rash drivers avoiding road rage. But then what about the fine? And what about the tag on my head: for being a rash driver? Read on;

Today being Sunday rush hour traffic was common. I drove to a restaurant in the suburbs and I was miffed by the valet staff out of which one bald guy climbed onto the driving seat as soon as I got down to inquire about a proper parking space.

Here is an Illustration of the situation:
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1575
Size:  14.5 KB

A bit on the history front: I always park my car myself I don’t trust these clumsy grease monkeys to touch my hard earned ride. Be it a swanky 5 star hotel or a parking lot;

I park myself.

Back on to the events then; I was furious on seeing the way he entered my ride still I politely asked him to get down and explaining him the fact that I would like to park myself. Not getting to rashly drive a 20L SUV angered him. And he walked off sheepishly pointing towards an empty space as the other car was leaving.

The Empty space:
Name:  Untitled  Copy  Copy.png
Views: 1542
Size:  13.2 KB

I was left alone with no valet guy to assist me in parking my ride. OK so it is. I firstly checked the rear view mirror and I saw no other car there. I got down to ask the valet guy to help me park but he bluntly refused to help me asking for the keys.

Citing that he was not going to help me I decided to move ahead then reverse a bit to park my ride:
Name:  Untitled  Copy  Copy  Copy  Copy.png
Views: 1516
Size:  16.2 KB

Now as I mentioned earlier on my right side was Maddening Traffic. So a swift guy decided not to let me park and as I was reversing into the space this guys comes to my left and starts honking furiously distracting me completely.
Name:  Untitled  Copy  Copy  Copy  Copy 2.png
Views: 1561
Size:  15.2 KB

As luck would have it a cop on his bike sneaks up behind me, Exactly in my blind-spot area. The side mirrors cant capture him and he is too low for the rear mirror to notice him.
Name:  Untitled  Copy  Copy  Copy  Copy 2  Copy.png
Views: 1502
Size:  15.7 KB

Now the swift guy is still honking and the traffic on my right side is completely wild. The FM station is playing some Ying-yang advert and I engage the reverse gear But my reverse camera is still initializing. In the meanwhile I decide to slowly reverse. As soon as I move the car a few inches behind I hear a distant scraping sound. Then suddenly my camera lights up showing a copper on his bike. Furiously getting off. I decide to get down to analyze what just happened. Before I could even blink this cop rudely blasts me and asks for my license like a tape recorder. Soon enough I walk-back and realize that the scraping noise was my bumper touching his front Mud plate/tire. Few small/light scratches on my bumper and Almost no noticeable damage done to the Cop's ride. But how wrong I was! A lot of damage was done to his "EGO".

All this while the guy is getting angrier by the second asking me for my license. I politely asked him to wait. As soon as I realize what happened I immediately apologize.

No effect on him: He is still asking me for my license. He even asks me if I have one! I asked him to cool down and said that I have my license. But this guy is on a mission! He instantly asks me once again to hand over my license.

Citing that this guy would not stop asking me till I submit my license I reluctantly yet readily hand it over. (I am still apologetic)

Next I know he walks off to his bike and starts fiddling with some papers. I asked him to cool down as his tone was getting ruder by the second and told him that I was sorry. He has by then removed the challan book and is coolly writing down my details. I am talking to him and he is behaving as if he cannot hear me! Next I asked him to at least listen to me. On this he asks me to continue. Again citing that he is least bothered I asked him to wait and I rush to my family to inform them about the incident.

In the meanwhile the surroundings had changed a lot: The swift guy swiftly disappeared and seeing me in talks with the cop. An i20 owner somehow squeezed his car into the spot where I was parking. When I told him to back-up his car as I was parking he snarlingly told me to shut-up and give my license to the copper. I had other things to do then reply so I walked off.

So now four guys from my family are talking to him trying to explain what just happened. On hearing the explanation and apologies he said "But, I honked". The way he spoke he sounded as if I bumped into him on purpose! He was not ready to hear a thing.

And continuously repeated: "*** Meri gaadi ko thoka" (*** How could you bang my bike!!)

Ya right! and I would know that how?? But he continued to fill up the challan and said that he will go to court and not spare me. He also told my family to call up whomever they can and he would be unharmed. (Remember: This is no more for the tiny scratch. He has taken it personally)

In the meanwhile he pushed me twice when I asked him to listen to what we had to say.

Still Citing that he is an officer in uniform I stood there calmly. "Respect" was the word that came in my mind.

It was then I noticed that he wrote section 184. I was un-aware of what it was so I assumed that it was the fine amount. How wrong I was! He tore out the chalan and told us to meet him in the "police chowky".

Soon enough he zoomed off asking me to collect my license from the chowky.

One line he used: "Choky mein Aao, Dekte hain" (Come to the police station and I'll see how you get the license.)

He stubbornly rode out his bike.

Now for some pointers:
  • The cop had taken the minor scratch personally was obvious. The best part was that he failed to realize that my 20L SUV was also damaged. I doubt that he even thought about it! Why he sneaked up on a reversing car is beyond me.
  • Can a cop depending on his mood make a small scratch on his bike into a personal issue?
  • He booked me under a very serious offense for his personal grudge. Which I Later found out was no joke. All of my life whenever I drive that will remain as a tag showing that I am a very unsafe and erratic driver.
  • He abused and pushed me. The cop also taunted me. Is this allowed? Does he really have the right to do this? What else could I do?
  • How can people verify if the section a cop has booked us under is really as per the incidents occurred? Does a cop have so much power that he can book me on something completely irrelevant?
  • Trust me friends all who know me will tell you'll that I am the safest driver they have ever met. Some of my friends don't buckle up when they are with me saying that I drive too safe for a mishap to occur! That said I never break traffic rules heck I prefer waiting even if others break the signals at wee hours. I drive like a gentle-man and give way to others on the road all the time. I am a true BHP-ian at heart and follow the rules diligently.
Needless to say this incident has hurt me a lot and my feelings towards driving and our system, That cop without knowing how I drive has booked me on something very serious. I will never be able to drive the same way I did earlier. I see many rash drivers but never have I given into such a driving style. But now all I can think of is why me? As the title Asks:

All ears...

Last edited by Furebo : 2nd May 2011 at 04:39. Reason: Addition
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

My sympathies with you. The section imposed is dangerous driving, from the point of view of the policeman (and from what you have described) that might be the appropriate section, so the guy at least did not frame you under a nonsensical charge.

By the way the section states that the max. penalty is 1000, how did he put 2000 then? In court this can be used as proof that the policeman was trying to harass you.

Go to the press is what you can do. If you have any video recordings that should help (especially the cop pushing you).

A challan can be contested in court so far as I know but if you don't have any proof - that would do you no good (video recording on the other hand would be proof enough as it is on judge's discretion when the policeman has no proof either) as in he-said-you-said contest the policeman's word is what the judge will take.

Having said that: I wasn't there so can't comment on whether you couldn't have helped the matter at all and understand completely your predicament in so much traffic, still some things are not clear:
  1. You had 4 other people in the car, after the valet guy refused any of them could have helped avoid the accident while you were backing up. Anybody on the road signalling people that you intend to back up may have at least prevented the policeman from getting so close to you and the Swift guy to honk.
  2. It seems you were distracted too - first from the actions of the valet (who got into your car and also later refused to help) and second from the FM (you even remember listening to some advertisement !)
  3. It isn't clear why you couldn't wait to back up till the camera came on. From the looks of it you backed up very slowly - it hardly saved you a couple of seconds.
As far as the valet guy being miffed with you because he didn't get to drive the SUV - well more likely he suspected (perhaps rightly) that he is missing on the tips. These guys drive enough cars every week, and in all likelihood all sorts of car every week, that I don't think they would care that much about a SUV.

By the way

we all meet jerks from time to time, and it is only human to feel bad. But I think you shouldn't let this one harm your trust in the "system" - this cop is not the the system by himself, and if you go talk to him now he might talk a little softer.

Though because he has already given you a challan I don't think even he can stop the matter from going to the court now.

Keep driving safe.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd May 2011 at 19:43. Reason: posts merged
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cop mis-using authority / Do I really deserve this for driving safe all this whil

Methinks thou dost protesteth too much!

Anyway, you can either take them to the court and fight them out, or you can do what the procedure says. There is this third alternative too which is quite popular these days. Find a landmark, say Gateway Of India, and start a fast unto death with bunch of candles around you.

But jokes apart, I'd suggest close the chapter and move on with your life.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:08   #4
BHPian

Re: Cop mis-using authority / Do I really deserve this for driving safe all this whil

Firstly, thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
The section imposed is dangerous driving, from the point of view of the policeman (and from what you have described) that might be the appropriate section, so the guy at least did not frame you under a nonsensical charge.
How do you find the charge correct? I merely backed up a couple of inches. Can that be really termed as risking others lives (Driving dangerously).

Quote:
By the way the section states that the max. penalty is 1000, how did he put 2000 then? In court this can be used as proof that the policeman was trying to harass you.
If he can book me under a wrong section, why would he bother about the harassing? He has done his part.

Quote:
Go to the press is what you can do. If you have any video recordings that should help (especially the cop pushing you).
I do not intend to go against him, I will just pursue the issue as long as the procedure demands it.

Quote:
A challan can be contested in court so far as I know but if you don't have any proof - that would do you no good (video recording on the other hand would be proof enough as it is on judge's discretion when the policeman has no proof either) as in he-said-you-said contest the policeman's word is what the judge will take.
Exactly my point, it is the word of the police man that will matter and rightly so. But why he is doing this is the question. I have no video recording. Though in the midst of all this I did happen to think about it. I could not do so because my center of attention was the cop.

Quote:
You had 4 other people in the car, after the valet guy refused any of them could have helped avoid the accident while you were backing up. Anybody on the road signalling people that you intend to back up may have at least prevented the policeman from getting so close to you and the Swift guy to honk.
I did not have four guys in my car, they were waiting for me inside the restaurant. I mentioned earlier that I rushed inside to call them. Agreed that a person if directing me could have avoided the accident. But that is just crying over spilt milk. The concern here is the section the cop charged me under.

Quote:
It seems you were distracted too - first from the actions of the valet (who got into your car and also later refused to help) and second from the FM (you even remember listening to some advertisement !)
All that info was just to explain the situation,I was completely focused while reversing. It was the honking swift and cars behind it causing a mini jam that actually distracted me.

Quote:
It isn't clear why you couldn't wait to back up till the camera came on. From the looks of it you backed up very slowly - it hardly saved you a couple of seconds.
Because of the above mentioned swift and traffic. I decided not to wait for the camera to initialize and I started backing up real slow.

NOTE: I checked all mirrors and did not see anyone behind me.

Quote:
As far as the valet guy being miffed with you because he didn't get to drive the SUV - well more likely he suspected (perhaps rightly) that he is missing on the tips.
What do you mean by "perhaps rightly"? I always tip these guys be it just for opening a door! It is just that I prefer to park myself. And the guy not doing his job for any reason let alone a tip is again beyond me.

Quote:
These guys drive enough cars every week, and in all likelihood all sorts of car every week, that I don't think they would care that much about a SUV.
The way he spoke to me showed what he was up-to, These days swanky cars come with drivers. That said the restaurant was not exactly a swanky one. So the guys interest in my car was clearly present.

Quote:
we all meet jerks from time to time, and it is only human to feel bad. But I think you shouldn't let this one harm your trust in the "system" - this cop is not the the system by himself, and if you go talk to him now he might talk a little softer.
It doesn't matter, the point still is that the guy behaved in an immature way. Scratches are just a part of our lives. If he could just let go...IMO he Mis-used his power.

Quote:
Though because he has already given you a challan I don't think even he can stop the matter from going to the court now.
You think i'd bother. I am speechless since yesterday. I will not have anything to say (Even in court).

Quote:
Keep driving safe.
After such a case I doubt that I will be driving. I have been a real careful driver till date and have NEVER been fined. If it was my mistake (driving rashly) I would readily accept any punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Methinks thou dost protesteth too much!
How so Amit? I clearly mentioned that I did what he said and apologized.

Quote:
Anyway, you can either take them to the court and fight them out, or you can do what the procedure says. There is this third alternative too which is quite popular these days. Find a landmark, say Gateway Of India, and start a fast unto death with bunch of candles around you.
I do not intend to fight. I am a really simple guy and I NEVER mess around with people. I do not find the candle part funny at all. Perhaps you do not understand the seriousness of the section he booked me under.

Quote:
But jokes apart, I'd suggest close the chapter and move on with your life.
How so? I have been booked under an offense that I could have never committed. I believe in forgive and forget. But this is staying with me.

PS: Anyone commenting on this thread I request you'll to go through the contents properly and avoid asking questions on which I have clarified above. Thank you and please keep the views coming.

Last edited by Furebo : 2nd May 2011 at 10:19. Reason: Addition
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts on this are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post

• The cop had taken the minor scratch personally was obvious. The best part was that he failed to realize that my 20L SUV was also damaged. I doubt that he even thought about it! Why he sneaked up on a reversing car is beyond me.
  • If you hadn't engaged the reverse gear yet (because after the cop bike & swift come behind you is when you mention that you "engage the reverse gear") that means the rear lights indicating the SUV reversing never came on. I think the swift came behind you only because it couldn't make out that you were reversing. The cop, well either he also got the same idea that you weren't reversing and got behind you or else he wanted you to move the car as it was blocking the traffic.
  • Can a cop depending on his mood make a small scratch on his bike into a personal issue?
  • Well, haven't you seen enough in hindi movies or read about similar incidents here at t-bhp. Yes, they very much can.

• He booked me under a very serious offense for his personal grudge. Which I Later found out was no joke. All of my life whenever I drive that will remain as a tag showing that I am a very unsafe and erratic driver.
  • Yes he did
  • He abused and pushed me. The cop also taunted me. Is this allowed? Does he really have the right to do this? What else could I do?
  • Obviously they don't have the right to do what they do (most of the time) but they still do it. As for what you could do, I think you already did the best - kept your cool, complied to his orders etc. If you had not handed over the license or argued may be it could've turned uglier. You did the right thing but unfortunately the right thing didn't happen back to you, life's unfair, we all know it.
  • How can people verify if the section a cop has booked us under is really as per the incidents occurred? Does a cop have so much power that he can book me on something completely irrelevant?
  • In case there's no witness or video I don't think there's any way anybody could verify what happened, we are also going by what you said, aren't we? As for the judge, in case of no witness/video he's definitely going to go by the cop's version. (somebody already said this)
  • Trust me friends all who know me will tell you'll that I am the safest driver they have ever met. Some of my friends don't buckle up when they are with me saying that I drive too safe for a mishap to occur! That said I never break traffic rules heck I prefer waiting even if others break the signals at wee hours. I drive like a gentle-man and give way to others on the road all the time. I am a true BHP-ian at heart and follow the rules diligently.
  • Being a safe driver can still get you in ugly situations.
Needless to say this incident has hurt me a lot and my feelings towards driving and our system, That cop without knowing how I drive has booked me on something very serious. I will never be able to drive the same way I did earlier. I see many rash drivers but never have I given into such a driving style. But now all I can think of is why me? As the title Asks:
I completely understand what you feel. I've had my share of experiences when I was either over-powered or somebody abused their authority etc. but it only lasted a few days, I emerged a learned man later. Incidents like these are unsolicited and there isn't much you can do.

And it definitely isn't just you, there are a lot of us who have been in very ugly situations where our fault was zilch! Do I recall a bhpian being BEATEN black n blue when all he was doing was....nothing.

Regarding how to pursue this further, other bhpians can help here.

I'd say again, you did the right thing (post the accident) and a scratch on the bumper + a few thousand bucks is nothing when you look back at life a couple of decades later, isn't it?

Continue driving safe, its people like us that make a difference (however insignificant it may seem to others).
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:33   #6
Mik
BHPian

Circumstantially, i guess you get the benefit of doubt. But, the fact of the matter is that you did bump into the motorcycle. God forbid, if it was a small kid(which you could have missed again because the reverse cam didn't initialize) you would have been in huge trouble. As the ceat ad goes, the road is really filled with idiots and one needs to be almost paranoid to avoid these situations.

The cop is on a huge ego trip and thats something which we mango guys can't really do much about. In your place, i would take this whole issue on my chin, pay up for my peace and keep driving since i love it too much !!

The other Indian way to deflate the cops ego: Get a bigger cop/neta on your side. Sad, but true.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:33   #7
BHPian

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate your view. Few clarifications I want to make;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If you hadn't engaged the reverse gear yet (because after the cop bike & swift come behind you is when you mention that you "engage the reverse gear") that means the rear lights indicating the SUV reversing never came on. I think the swift came behind you only because it couldn't make out that you were reversing. The cop, well either he also got the same idea that you weren't reversing and got behind you or else he wanted you to move the car as it was blocking the traffic.
As I mentioned earlier, that the space behind me was empty. I was reversing and was almost going to park when the swift approached me. That is when I stopped. And re-engaged the reverse. My reverse lights are functional and work properly.

Quote:
In case there's no witness or video I don't think there's any way anybody could verify what happened, we are also going by what you said, aren't we?
Very true.

Quote:
As for the judge, in case of no witness/video he's definitely going to go by the cop's version.
I am eagerly awaiting to hear his version: "Your honor; I honked but this guy gave me a scratch on my bike, So I booked him under Section 184."

Quote:
I'd say again, you did the right thing (post the accident) and a scratch on the bumper + a few thousand bucks is nothing when you look back at life a couple of decades later, isn't it?
You are the first one to understand my point. The money is not what I am complaining about. It is the section he booked me under (which will reflect in my records).

PS: I don't think this was an event that can even be termed an accident, My bumper just "TOUCHED" his bike tire at a very very slow speed.

Remember: I "Inched" backwards.

Last edited by Furebo : 2nd May 2011 at 10:47. Reason: Addition
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How so Amit? I clearly mentioned that I did what he said and apologized.
I was referring to this thread.

Quote:
I do not intend to fight. I am a really simple guy and I NEVER mess around with people. I do not find the candle part funny at all. Perhaps you do not understand the seriousness of the section he booked me under.
The rash driving fine is slapped quite often on people. Don't worry. They won't throw you in jail for that! And don't take it as judgment upon your driving abilities either.

Quote:
How so? I have been booked under an offense that I could have never committed. I believe in forgive and forget. But this is staying with me.
All the more reason to get it over with, anyway anyhow. And take it as part of life.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, that the space behind me was empty. I was reversing and was almost going to park when the swift approached me. That is when I stopped. And re-engaged the reverse. My reverse lights are functional and work properly.
Ok, I wasn't clear about this myself.

Quote:
You are the first one to understand my point. The money is not what I am complaining about. It is the section he booked me under (which will reflect in my records).
Didn't I tell you I've been in similar situations.
And if you are driving a 20L SUV its understandable that you aren't bothered about this kind of money.

As for the section he booked you under, I'd see if I can find any info on this, else you rely on other bhpians for this. And for it being on the records, I guess it'd matter only in case (god forbid) you somehow manage to get booked under the same section again. May be then things like revoking license (just thinking loud) could happen.

Quote:
PS: I don't think this was an event that can even be termed an accident, My bumper just "TOUCHED" his bike tire at a very very slow speed.
Well touched or rammed, it doesn't really matter what it was. We both know that a high-end SUV even touching wouldn't go down very well with any cop on bike.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:52   #10
BANNED

Furebo
I feel sorry for you man!! My sympathies.

To all other knowledgeable members - isnt there a system in place to report abuse of power and authority? While it is a personal call of the victim here if he wants to peruse the matter, I think this thread is a good opportunity discuss the procedures to follow and law/rules regarding the same - regardless of whether the dirty system will defeat our attempts or not.

But from what I've read, these kind of issues happen in the US as well...

--Ragul
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to this thread.
Ok buddy. Got your point.

Quote:
The rash driving fine is slapped quite often on people. Don't worry. They won't throw you in jail for that!
"The Fine" is just a part of it Amit. It is the rash driving charge in my record that bothers me.

Quote:
don't take it as judgment upon your driving abilities either.
Sure thing, thanks.

Quote:
All the more reason to get it over with, anyway anyhow. And take it as part of life.
Will try to keep a positive outlook from now on.

Quote:
And if you are driving a 20L SUV its understandable that you aren't bothered about this kind of money.
Hey buddy I guess you casually said that but I very much "value money".

Quote:
As for the section he booked you under, I'd see if I can find any info on this, else you rely on other bhpians for this.
Thank you for the concern. Eagerly awaiting other BHP-ians responses.

Quote:
And for it being on the records, I guess it'd matter only in case (god forbid) you somehow manage to get booked under the same section again. May be then things like revoking license (just thinking loud) could happen.
Precisely my concern.

Quote:
Well touched or rammed, it doesn't really matter what it was. We both know that a high-end SUV even touching wouldn't go down very well with any cop on bike.
True, but there is a real big difference between touching and ramming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Furebo. I feel sorry for you man!! My sympathies.
Thanks for the concern buddy.

Last edited by Furebo : 2nd May 2011 at 11:02. Reason: Addition
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Needless to say this incident has hurt me a lot and my feelings towards driving and our system, That cop without knowing how I drive has booked me on something very serious. I will never be able to drive the same way I did earlier.
That is quite an unpleasant situation to be caught in.

Before I being what I have to say, I'd like to say one thing : let the fact that you were booked for "dangerous driving" go.

The problem with us, people who religiously follow traffic rules and are among the more sensible drivers is that, we cannot tolerate being fined for something we didn't do - because we know we are much better and the guys who actually are a menace go merrily free.

Just let it pass. That's the only thing that'll help. There's no way that challan is going to be reversed or you forget this incident - why boil your blood over it.

About your questions - how the cops react to situations depends completely on their mood and how they could benefit from it. Yes, mere touching his bike can infuriate him and there's no stopping him from booking you for an offence he chooses to. The only thing that would work is you quoting some influential contact. Unfortunate as it is, that is the fact.

On my Pune-Gurgaon trip, I stopped at a junction in Ahmedabad to ask for directions and a cop checked the headlamps, found no yellow sticker and fined me; DESPITE me telling him that I had JUST entered the city. That is how they work.

A lot of us here have been at the wrong and undeserving end of such things - the only thing that matters in the end is, moving on. Get your licence back, settle it to the best of your ability and get on with your life.

Henceforth, just keep your cool, irrespective of the traffic, honking around. The idiots don't lose anything by honking or abusing, you do.

Do yourself a favour - chuck the incident and drive as you always did. The cop, the swift driver ain't worth it.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:59   #13
BHPian

Damn thats really horrible, which part of mumbai this happen maybe i can help you out.
i<3turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:03   #14
BHPian

I feel deeply for you.

There was a vicious circle created which ultimately led to you being at the receiving end of all of all this

Over enthusiastic Valet> Big SUV+ no spotter> Maddening traffic > honking Swift> slow reversing sensor init

Is a recipe for disaster.

Please don’t panic & getting your licence back should not be the first thing on your mind when you visit the police station. They know you want it & it will help if you don’t make it sound like you desperately need it. They might tempt you to pay (bribe) & get it back but, please don’t fall for it . The challan is in records & even if you have your licence physically in your hands, it does not end your ordeal.

The cop probably vented out all of his bottled up frustration & you were at the receiving end of all this. You might get a court notice in due course of time & you should own up to the mistake. The case will be closed there & then even if the cop throws tantrums on the court hearing. Arresting you isn’t a top priority on the cop’s mind. He knows you are an SUV driver & will probably try to milk you for money.

Don’t take any hasty decision or blame yourself for all this. People are wrongly challaned many times. I was challaned for the same offence (Sec.184 + speeding) 1400Rs. When all I did was violate the stop line & refused the ‘parchi less’ way out. My car was 2 months old at that time. It was my first challan & I did feel horrible for a couple of days. They almost had me with their scare tactics like threatening to impound vehicle, arrest, huge fine etc.

Your reversing cam let you down yesterday. It took painfully long to boot up. This coupled with the honking swift made you even more anxious to not wait for the image to come up. Get it changed or get help from someone to assist you while parking in marketplace & heavy traffic area.

Take care.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd May 2011 at 16:14. Reason: Added text to post as requested by OP.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Driving around in Bangalore, I've had my share of learnings. I've been bothered by these exact thoughts. But I learnt to let go over a period of time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed